Great Lakes Central power

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central power

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

This is for just anyone out there who may have a clue. The remaining GP35's of the GLC/TSBY are really getting up there in age (1964). Other than the two GP38's that they have leased (?) has the railroad been looking into new/used power? Those old former Annie 35's must be close to being worn out even though GLC has a good shop in Owosso. The old ex southern high hoods are down for the count, Poor old 388 died a while back. Their business seems to be picking up so you'd think that they might be shoppin around or, would they just acquire one as one passes on? Looks like they are starting to run low................
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Great Lakes Central power

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I have no inside information, so the best I can do is muse like many of the rest of us. GLC does seem to have an excellent shop force at Owosso, and it does seem that an unuqually large percentage of their power is down for the count right now. I guess it depends on how serious the current problems are, what kind of traffic they can predict for the future, and how willing they are to keep GP35s as a "standard" power. W&LE is slowly replacing their GP35s, and these are very similar to the SOU and AA types they already have. If they are looking for more of the same, that might be a place to start. I know the GLC shops dismantled 2 or 3 unusued locomotives (386, 387, and 2674, I think?) over the last couple years, so maybe they have a good assortment of parts for now? I don't really know.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I hear the crews really like the 38's :) 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I would wager to guess that if they start looking at anything else it'll probably be GP38's of some sort, rebuilt from other geeps or originals. I'm not sure, did they lease the GP38-2's to buy? If not, does anyone know how long the lease is?

They could probably get a away with a six axle or two like MQT and SBS, but I would think it'd be for the Osmer train only.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

UP is returning a lot of GP38-2's and GP38M-2's to lessors these days (mostly GATX and HATX)..would not be suprised to see another lessor GP38 (or 2 ) to show up.
Dave C

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Jon the lease is a 5 year lease i believe. As the six axle power goes you could take them all the wat to yuma and uo the st charles branch just not the middleton district or up towards Traverse City.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Why not up by traverse city and yuma? because of tight switches and turns?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

it can go to yuma but, north to traverse city there are some bridges that cannot support the weight and a couple tight curves.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

but, north to traverse city there are some bridges that cannot support the weight
How do they know this? And if the bridges can't support a six axle loco, how can they be sure it can support a four axle loco?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

hoborich wrote:
but, north to traverse city there are some bridges that cannot support the weight
How do they know this? And if the bridges can't support a six axle loco, how can they be sure it can support a four axle loco?
SD40-2
Weight: 368,000 lbs
http://www.thedieselshop.us/Data%20EMD%20SD40-2.HTML

GP38-2
Weight: 250,000 lbs
http://www.thedieselshop.us/Data%20EMD%20GP38-2.HTML

Difference: 118000 lbs

That's a big difference.
Semi-retired railroader

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That's also the reason why 1225 can't run north of Cadillac, weight restrictions on bridges. That and the Traverse City line is banned from passenger operations because of bad track conditions. The Petosky Line is ok though, to my knowledge (the Northern Arrow runs up there, so I assume).
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Two 286 cement cars put 572,000 lbs. on 80 feet of track.

Also, the 1225 has lower wheel loadings and less weight/ ft. than a 35.
The problem with steam is the "hammering" the drive action puts on the rail.

Keep going. You'll solve the problem.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Is the TC area really closed to passenger operations because of track conditions? I'd gotten the impression that the track conditions in that area were rated poorly as an excuse to shut down the dinner train that was operating out of TC.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'd gotten the impression that the track conditions in that area were rated poorly as an excuse to shut down the dinner train that was operating out of TC.
Overall it's probably adequate at best with some bad stretches
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

You'd think that they would continue to upgrade the line up here into Traverse a little more. Traffic will pick up this spring plus, they are still interested as far as I know about running the ski trains up to here. Trackage last I heard was rated at 389,000? Like mentioned above, I'm surprized GLC hasn't picked up some six axle power. Saw a picture of a CSX train somewhere in Ohio I think it was running by what looked like a whole yard full of SD40's and similiar locomotives. Wish they would have jumped on those SDL39's when Wisconson Central went away - those would have been a sight to see up here besides, they needed to kept here in Michigan!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wish they would have jumped on those SDL39's when Wisconson Central went away - those would have been a sight to see up here besides, they needed to kept here in Michigan!
OMGosh...I thought the same thing when I heard CN was selling them. I knew TSBY/GLC wouldn't buy them but it was fun dreaming about them on their track :) 8)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Overall it's probably adequate at best with some bad stretches
Excursions were able to do 25 most of the way but the last 10? miles were 10mph and as a car host and later a conductor, I had to sit down on that stretch. It was difficult to stand or walk in the aisle.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

[
and as a car host and later a conductor..... It was difficult to stand or walk in the aisle.
Sounds like storys I've heard of the passengers on the southbound Polish Fest Express :mrgreen:
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Charles W wrote:Is the TC area really closed to passenger operations because of track conditions? I'd gotten the impression that the track conditions in that area were rated poorly as an excuse to shut down the dinner train that was operating out of TC.
The Grand Traverse Dinner Train didn't really shut down because of the track conditions. When I first rode it, it was fairly new and the cars filled up pretty good. After a while, ridership slacked off quite a bit and I'm pretty sure it ran into the red. Towards the end, you really never knew when it was going to run. Then, they had a derailment just east of the boardman river trestle which damaged a couple of the passenger cars. From there, haggling with TSBY about their supposed neglect of the trackage and who was going to pay for the damage yada, yada, yada......... It's a shame too. Those old F's were beauties. Heard they're heading to Iowa now. I would rather see them heading up the Northern Arrow up to Petoskey. They were made to stretch their legs out on open trackage! It was really painful to watch that train barely crawl along at ten mph on Keystone rd. Maybe with any luck those old girls will have a very long life still.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Sounds like storys I've heard of the passengers on the southbound Polish Fest Express :mrgreen:
The only comment I'll make to that was I didn't have any trouble standing or walking on the SB or NB for that matter :D