BC/Saginaw Trip 7/15/06 w/ LSRC Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LSRC
Flat River Rat

BC/Saginaw Trip 7/15/06 w/ LSRC Update

Unread post by LSRC »

With the help of people on both this board and on michiganrailroads, I took a trip this past Saturday to BC and Saginaw. I arrived in Saginaw Saturday in the late morning. My first stop was the hobby shop. I browsed there for a while, and ended up picking up a Walthers Dilivery Van. As a walked out of the shop, I heard a horn, and saw a train crossing the bridge. Unfortunately, I missed seeing the power and I missed it at a few grade crossings because I took a wrong turn. I finally caught up to it at Milepost 35, but unfortunately, the train was going at a good clip, and I was unable to beat it to the crossing and get (comming) pictures, engine numbers, etc. Here is a picture of the train going away. Does anybody know what engines these are? The train had about 86 cars and was heading SW (to Owosso?)

Well at this point, I decided to check out the SBS yard. While finding the bridge, I stumbled upon this old depot.

After finding the bridge, in hopes of catching SD40 #5921, I got these pictures. I think that the units in the backround are the 181 (maybe the 1280) and the 2003. The SD40 was nowhere to be seen. :cry:

After this I headed over to BC but had to go to a commitment first, so later in the afternoon, I went over to see if there was anything at the Lake State Yard. But first I went over to Wirt Stone and grabbed these pictures.

I found the Lake State Yard, but I was dissapointed because there was absolutely no way to get close to the yard. I had seen pictures of the Lake State from right up close in that yard, but I guess the fence was either new, or those people got promission, or trespassed. After that, I went over to the SBS's tiny yard, but like it was suppost to be, it was empty.

Then I went over to Wenona. LOTS of power sitting around. I'll let the crappy pictures speak for themselves here.

After this I left BC for home, but I stopped in Pinconning to get a look at the crossover. Needless to say, I found it.
Crossbuck

After this, I stopped in tawas, to look at the roundhouse.

Theres my trip.

Also, I haven't been able to post in a while, nor catch trains, so here is the Lake State update.

Monday 7/10/06, Train 326 Franklin Street/Werth Road, 60+ cars/ 25 flyash

Also, the 698 is on the engine hoist with it's front truck removed. That was a short trip for it.

Well, thats it.

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsby_fan »

The depot is the Potter St. depot; it burned about 10-15 years ago, a pretty spectacular fire that was probably started by vagrants that were living inside. There is a group that has been raising money to restore the depot; they've put a temporary roof on it, fenced it to keep out trespassers, but that's about all. Haven't heard much from them lately, don't know if it ever will get restored. Our model railroad club donated $$ years ago to help, but I think the effort has stalled.

Al
http://www.chessieshop.com/gallery/show ... l?id=40943

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

the HESR units you saw are the 5492, 2002, and 8905.

Bluewaterfan
Pullman Fan

Where?

Unread post by Bluewaterfan »

Where is the Lake State Yard and the SBS's tiny yard? The only one I know of is in Saginaw.
One can make a mistake and own up to it, but still feel guilty.
~~anonymous

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Well, I don't have the directions that Patrick gave me in front of me (I'll find them later), or Patrick will fill you in, but basically, to get SBS's Bay City Yard (Foss Yard), you have to cross the Independence Bridge (into Essexville), and keep going until you get to the light with the 7-11. Take a left there, and then keep going strait until you hit a curve. On that curve is a dirt driveway-thing. Its public property and you can get pretty close up to the yard. Normally there is nothing there, and it is kind of hard to see the tracks because of weeds is front of it, but if there is a train there, you'll know.

As for the LSRC's North Bay City Yard, all you have to do is go back over the Independence Bridge and keep going strait on Woodside. At the light on a curve (Were Wilder Road intersects with Woodside) turn left on Wilder. Keep going until you see a railroad crossing. To the left is the LSRC's North Bay City Yard. The place offers kind of a place to park, but you cannot get anywhere close to the equiptment without premission. I suggest just railfanning Wenona on a weekday. I believe every train passes through there (Patrick would know).

There you have it, but double check with Patrick.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Flyash

Unread post by AARR »

I take it flyash is moving on LSRC again.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Yes, flyash is on the move on the Lake State again. It has been like this for about, oh, 1-2 months? It started to come back as maybe 2 cars on 1 or 2 trains a week, then it went to 4 cars on most trains a week, and lately it has reached record highs, with every Lake State train I have seen topping 15 cars, and some as high as 30 cars!

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

That's because the Native blockaid at Caledonia Ontario was lifted about a month ago and now Rail America can move the flyash loads out to Brantford where CN takes them to Durand for the HESR.
399 generally grabs the loaded flyash cars out of Brantford.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

I see the 5175 is on the dead tracks behind the shop..Patrick, what is her fate..and is there any progress on repairs to the 4065. Also..any clue on how long the SGVY units will be under the knife?
Oh..and the HESR trains ya saw was headed to Durand.
Great report... Dave C

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

ok, i'll answer daves loco questions first. 5175 is awaiting major work. they need to bring a crane in and lift off the top of her. SGVY 999 is done and awaiting to be sent back to marlette. 998 will NEVER see the thumb again as when its finished its being shipped to the MMRR in MUSKE.

Morning is the best time for action in bay city. ALL railroads work early morning. coming in from 6 am.. till about noon, you'll catch the CM/HESR 740 to saginaw from bay city. CM/HESR 701-702 to durand from Bay City. You catch the SBS 310 from Saginaw to Essexville. You'll catch the LSRC 310 switching bay city and going to Pinconning. through out the after noon you'll see the 740 return and the 702 return. both can have times that vary. also, around 6 am you may also catch the midland HESR job backing into the yard if they are running late.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Hey Patrick, what time does LSRC train 326 come in, in the mornings (usually ~8:00 am in Alpena), and what time does the 327a leave (usually between 5 and 6:30 p.m., but I could be as late as 8:30, and the same thing goes for the 327a. I have seen that come in to Alpena well past 2:30 pm).