CSX Storing Autoracks

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Storing Autoracks

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Just an observation, but CSX dropped off a cut of autoracks and left them on the passing siding in Sunfield. Theres approxamately 50 of them. Is CSX going to start storing cars on the passing sidings now?
Nick

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: CSX Storing Autoracks

Unread post by Racer »

Also, I spotted a large cut of autoracks sitting on Main #1 at Ivanrest, and were occupying the block between Ivanrest and Lemar.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Spent last night in Grand Rapids, long string of autorack cars west of Wyoming Yard. Also a CP train in the yard, thought CP pulled their trains off CSX, of course not my neck of the woods so maybe this isn't news... :|
Look like a lot of gondola cars stored also at Wyoming Yard.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

Grandville
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Grandville »

The autoracks west of Wyoming yard between Lamar & Ivanrest were there last weekend. Behind the autoracks, on the 3rd track (ice house track) there are more gondolas. I don't ever remember CSX shutting down the main there to store cars...the economy must reallly suck. CP X500 still goes through Wyoming Yard.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

KC wrote:Spent last night in Grand Rapids, long string of autorack cars west of Wyoming Yard. Also a CP train in the yard, thought CP pulled their trains off CSX, of course not my neck of the woods so maybe this isn't news... :|
X500 still runs 5 days a week.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

I remember back in the late 70s early 80s when the auto industries went thru the same crap they are now.
CSX or Chessie was storing Racks on the 3rd rail between Telegraph rd and Inkster rd on the Detroit Sub.
Any Place that is a open track thats not being used or won't block anything they will store Auto Racks.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Could these be the 2 level that are now in abundance with the death of SUVs?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CSX has been storing racks on the St. Louis line for the better part of 2008. Autoracks have completely filled the Marshall, IL Controled Siding since the June timeframe. Its the shortest siding between Terre Haute and St. Louis, and not having it doesn't create THAT big of a problem.

Effingham Yard in Effingham, IL is full of autoracks, and has been for much of this year. More racks at Highland, IL siding also.

There is a siding near Hill Yard in Indy that has probably 80 autoracks in it, along with Brightwood Siding on the east side of town.

Definately money to be made in storing racks for TTX.

Not as bad as the Centerbeam lumber cars that have been stored at Martel, OH siding for two years.

Practice Safe CSX

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

They are currently storing autoracks in the siding at Wixom also.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Its not just autoracks being stored. SBS is storing cars all over the place.

A set of CSCX coal hoppers stored on the siding in Freeland, various CSX coal hoppers are stored along the siding on the southern end of Saginaw, a grain train west of Mershon, along with the cars in the siding along Blackmar Road.

The HESR also has a coal train and TTX flat cars stored between Reese and Munger.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

PlymouthStationGuy wrote:I remember back in the late 70s early 80s when the auto industries went thru the same crap they are now.
CSX or Chessie was storing Racks on the 3rd rail between Telegraph rd and Inkster rd on the Detroit Sub.
Any Place that is a open track thats not being used or won't block anything they will store Auto Racks.
Fowlerville Williamston and Grand Ledge had racks for a couple of years back in the 70's...Fowlerville i know for sure had the same cut of autoracks from 76 to 79

ive picked up\set out racks on the 3rd rail....that has always been mid term storage for cars
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

They already have a bunch of racks (and gons ) stored in New Buffalo yard. When I was on vacation a few weeks ago, saw a bunch of racks stored on a siding in eastern New York (somewhere near/west of Schenectady, but don't remember exactly where. I didn't take any photos)

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

Is there any truth the the rumor that CSX may put racks on the siding at Trowbridge?
Semi-retired railroader

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Tyler H. wrote:Is there any truth the the rumor that CSX may put racks on the siding at Trowbridge?

That WAS the plan with the cars that got stored at Ensel and Grand Ledge, but a last minute change of plans took them to Ensel and GL instead. As soon as CSX shuts down the Plymouth sub, they will have all kinds of room to store them on the "old" main line.

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

DON'T EVEN SAY THINGS LIKE THAT!
Semi-retired railroader

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

There are no cars being stored at Trowbridge as of tonight.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

That WAS the plan with the cars that got stored at Ensel and Grand Ledge, but a last minute change of plans took them to Ensel and GL instead.
I figured Grand Ledge and Ensel had racks in their yards if theyre hauling em all the way out to Sunfield to dump em off. Even though I work in Grand Ledge, I never check out anything there.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

J T wrote:
KC wrote:Spent last night in Grand Rapids, long string of autorack cars west of Wyoming Yard. Also a CP train in the yard, thought CP pulled their trains off CSX, of course not my neck of the woods so maybe this isn't news... :|
X500 still runs 5 days a week.
Is one of them Sunday? I spotted an eastbound train (empty container flats and full autoracks) led by a CP engine stopped at Trowbridge at about 1 pm. It was held there while 4 CN trains transited the diamond--container trains 149 and 148, mixed freight 391 and an unknown.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

30-40 are stored on Track 3 detroit Sub, over between Beech Daily, and Telegraph..... Been there for months....

20-25 Stored on the NS (ex-Wabash) Line East of Metro.... been there for a peroid too....

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Yeah, that was X500. It doesn't run on Sunday, but that was Saturday's train, since it leaves Chicago late in the evening. It's usually in GR early-mid Sunday morning.