DIGITAL CAMERA help

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

DIGITAL CAMERA help

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Ok, I am purchasing another digital camera. I have been the owner of a Fuji Finepix S500, and the Canon Rebel. Two Great Cameras. I also had an older Vivitar 2-3 megapixle job and a Fuji compact 3megapixle.

I am moving to Sandusky Ohio this summer to work on the Cedar Point and Lake Erie narrow gauge Railroad. I need a digital camera that I can fit into my pocket and zip up while I work that has no protruding lens. Yet, I would like something with some zoom (retracting lens) so I can still compose some good shots. The idea here, is "fits in your pocket" and takes some good pics.

The Canon powershot appears to impress me most so far, but even so is a tad bulky.

Suggestions MOST appreciated!

Thank You,

Mike
(Looking foreward to a summer of OHIO Railfanning)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Here is what I have. It is a Pentax Optio 30, 3.2 megapixels, with 5.8-17.4 mm zoom. It is a tick over 41/2 in long, Just a tick under 31/2 in tall, a tick over 21/2 in, wide (when in your pocket, and not turned on). When turned on, the lens pops out, and at its longest point, it is just a tick under 31/2 inchs. I carry it in my pocket at work all the time, and bought a .99 carying case at Walmart, to keep it from getting beat up, and keep it from turning on when in my pocket. 95% of the new photos that I have posted here, has been taken with it. I will e-mail you some photos, so you can get an idea, of how big it is.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Pentax Optio 30

Unread post by signmasters »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Here is what I have. It is a Pentax Optio 30, 3.2 megapixels, with 5.8-17.4 mm zoom. It is a tick over 41/2 in long, Just a tick under 31/2 in tall, a tick over 21/2 in, wide (when in your pocket, and not turned on). When turned on, the lens pops out, and at its longest point, it is just a tick under 31/2 inchs. I carry it in my pocket at work all the time, and bought a .99 carying case at Walmart, to keep it from getting beat up, and keep it from turning on when in my pocket. 95% of the new photos that I have posted here, has been taken with it. I will e-mail you some photos, so you can get an idea, of how big it is.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/P ... ptio30.asp
Here is a link to the Pentax Optio 30 hope it will help.
Last edited by signmasters on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Before I got my Kodak Z700, I used a Canon Digital Elph. Fit in my pocked and took GREAT cystal clear pictures and video.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Kevin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Kevin »

I have an Olympus Stylus 600. 6 mpx all weather zoom and it works great!!!!!!!!! Kevin

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Cannons rule...........you cant go wrong with one. I dont think.
What power shot are you looking at?
If you have questions check with Zack he is the camera expert.

BTW NS has a good presence in Sandusky might get lucky and get some of their SD9M's, and Bellvue is not far away either

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

By far, I prefer the Canon line...if you wanted something small but with good features still, something in the Powershot family would be the best...they have various sizes in this family...most have lenses that extend only when on, and are flush when off. The SD series between 30 and 700IS are the slimest, but generally don't have the same lens quality as the Powershot A series... Ones in the that range will certainly be small enough but the prices on those are far higher than the powershot A line. I'm still at a loss when I heard you sold your new Rebel.... Video is good too, but man o man....
Just make sure to get a new canon, eh patrick? j/k of course, they are fine even used. Feel free to pick my brain with other questions on useage and such.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

mushroom2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mushroom2 »

I'm a Nikon kind of guy, and when it came time to buy my daughter a small camera that she could use at all her teen age stuff, but still go out and shoot with aperture or shutter priority or even full manual when it was time to shoot serious, I bought her....a Canon. 'Nuff said.

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

I have a Sony DSC-P200 that is 7.2mp, size of a credit card, approx. 1" thick, nice size viewing screen on back. Easy to use. Powers up and lens opens and protrudes out. Shut it down and it goes back in. I am an appraiser and use it taking pictures of houses. Fits in pocket well. Not bulky or heavy.