Sterling Secondary Trains?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Sterling Secondary Trains?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I'm kind of curious as to what CSX and NS trains(not locals) run on the part of the line south of Sterling Heights, especially CSX. I am not very familiar with this line.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Sterling Secondary Trains?

Unread post by MiddleMI »

This information is years old (http://knorek.com/RR/SAA/NorthYardSter/ ... gIndex.htm), but it gives the general history of movements along the line and quite a bit of other good information.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The above link is historical information from about 15 years ago. While great information and pictures, it has mostly changed and is not very accurate anymore. CSX does not run any trains to and from Sterling anymore. This is due to CSX losing some of the Chrysler automotive traffic to NS that ran on Q233/234.

Currently Sterling Yard originates NS trains 171 ( Mixed Freight, leaves Sterling around 2am ), 31M ( Autorack loads, leaves around 7am ) and 121 ( Autorack loads, leaves around 3pm ). 176 from Oakwood terminates at Sterling every evening with Mixed Freight. Empty autoracks are also brought in by unit autorack trains with random symbols such as 11J, 29G, 29J, 29E. These can show up anytime but are most common in the morning or evening. 29E is interchanged to NS from CSX and usually has a CSX engine leading. Many times, cars are left at North Yard and the engines will continue lite to Sterling. The opposite is also true, sometimes 121 will run out of Sterling lite engine to pick up the rest of their train at North Yard. With there not being a wye at Sterling, most of the time 121 and frequently 31M will run long hood forward until CP Scotten where the engine will be wyed.

Without much CSX influence on the Eastside Conrail Detroit Division, most of the time the Conrail Jobs at Sterling and North Yard use NS Engines. Hihoods are most common with both yards now using the RC locomotives that NS has equipped. CSX engines do show up on Conrail jobs sometimes but can always count on NS. The few CSX that are destined for the Eastside are moved by Conrail jobs.

NS 121 heading south at Rinke Rd in Centerline.

ImageNS 6636 - Centerline, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

NS 121 heading south with a DME Engine.

ImageDME 6094 - Warren, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

NS 176 preparing to make a set out at North Yard.

ImageNS 176 - 6 Mile, Sterling Secondary by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Conrail NY-7 heading to Sterling from Mack Yard with autorack loads. This is done to relieve congestion at North Yard.

ImageConrail NY-7 - Lynch Rd by tcamp7837, on Flickr

3 Train meet on the Sterling Secondary. NS 31M heads south while Conrail NY-5 waits for them to clear the single track with CSX cars for Sterling while NY-8 works the Chrysler Plant.

Image3 Trains at once on Sterling Secondary by tcamp7837, on Flickr

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Thank you both very much for the info! I really appreciate it. I generally really like learning the operations of trains that run in MI, and as mentioned before, I haven't known to much about the Sterling line.

Redwing9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Redwing9 »

I recently moved to the Warren MI vicinity, can anyone give a more current lineup of what trains could be expected on this line? In my short experience here, I would say that the 121 timing has changed to mid-morning.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Redwing9 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am
I recently moved to the Warren MI vicinity, can anyone give a more current lineup of what trains could be expected on this line? In my short experience here, I would say that the 121 timing has changed to mid-morning.
From Sterling during the day:

121, Mixed Freight

31M, on duty at Sterling around 4pm. All Autoracks. Usually only has 1 engine.

To Sterling:

176, runs in evening. Mixed Freight from Oakwood.

There is at least 1, sometimes 2 or more, daily empty autorack trains to Sterling. Frequently, the cars will be dropped at North Yard or Mound, and will run lite engine to Sterling. Usually the symbol is 11J, or 11E. They can show up anytime but most frequently in the morning or evening.

Sometimes a North Yard job or Sterling job will run between the two yards to move hot cars, or CSX cars.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:40 am
Redwing9 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:32 am
From Sterling during the day:

121, Mixed Freight

31M, on duty at Sterling around 4pm. All Autoracks. Usually only has 1 engine.

To Sterling:

176, runs in evening. Mixed Freight from Oakwood.

There is at least 1, sometimes 2 or more, daily empty autorack trains to Sterling. Frequently, the cars will be dropped at North Yard or Mound, and will run lite engine to Sterling. Usually the symbol is 11J, or 11E. They can show up anytime but most frequently in the morning or evening.

Sometimes a North Yard job or Sterling job will run between the two yards to move hot cars, or CSX cars.
10N and 11N are also symbols. 10N is a southbound Autorack train and 11N is a northbound Autorack train.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

10N runs in the middle of the night. 31M is nearly identical. Reason for only listing usual daylight trains.