Siemens SC-44 Chargers - Michigan Edition

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Siemens SC-44 Chargers - Michigan Edition

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Westbound? Aren't they supposed to come back today?
Dan Cluley wrote:Sounds like the test train is west bound through Potterville on CN at 21:45.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

rettop
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rettop »

Went to Kazoo station to see it on the Blue Water (10:30am) as listed on this site; good old 30 upfront with 26 taking up the rear. Has anyone seen the Chargers or is this a "Fake" time table?????

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

rettop wrote:Has anyone seen the Chargers or is this a "Fake" time table?????
The east-bound Wolverine run was accurate (delayed 30mins). But after that they seemed to have abandoned the TT. IF you scroll back a little ways you can find the pictures I took of it passing Dexter.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Westbound? Aren't they supposed to come back today?
I mentioned this earlier to Z on the chat....due to the lack of storage space for the equipment to overnight in PNT (no room) and PTH (not enough room with the second station track OOS), both of the test trains turned back the same day

You will see these turds soon enough in regular service....

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Buster Manning wrote:You will see these turds soon enough in regular service....
You don't like them? When will the P42s be phased out on the Michigan Lines?

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

NS3322 wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:You will see these turds soon enough in regular service....
You don't like them? When will the P42s be phased out on the Michigan Lines?
When the Chargers are ready.

You know I wasn't a big fan of the Charger's look originally. But seeing one in person it didn't look that bad to me. I still think they look better with the Brightline nose, but they aren't that bad.

peter
American Trainz Group

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

It isn't the looks.....the design team obviously did not have an engineer to help out...the cab layout is not comfortable....it has even less vision out of the cab than the P42...climbing into and out of the cab will be treacherous when the steps are wet...too much of the mechanical aspect of the engine itself relies on the HEP to operate...I can already imagine how well the engine will operate with that radiator room stuffed full of snow and ice....I think the Brightline engine looks better with the nose-cone...without the cone, it looks too much like one of the electric motors

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Siemens Loco on Pere Marquette

Unread post by PM1946 »

A Siemens SC-44 Charger did a test run April 29th and 30th on Pere Marquette's route. If the info posted with the video is correct, MDOT (along with other states) purchased a bunch of these. Hopefully the Pure Michigan logo will be part of the paint scheme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSJuMeM5Tso

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Any idea when entry into service is? I'm staying in Berrien County until October-ish for work and would love to catch one.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

tadman wrote:Any idea when entry into service is? I'm staying in Berrien County until October-ish for work and would love to catch one.
When their ready.

They've just started line testing & training. Things can go wrong & hold them up. That being said if there are no problems & delays (unlikely), I would expect them to have started phasing them in before October. Additionally Michigan may be the last state to get them as they still need ITCS installed.

peter
American Trainz Group

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Looks like the first solo SC44 revenue run ran out of Chicago this morning as Hiawatha #329.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... n-hiawatha

So maybe we'll start seeing some of these soon... Especially on the west side of the state. Not sure if any are equipped yet with ITCS for the Wolverine/Blue Water route.