SMRS is showing results

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

SMRS is showing results

Unread post by SousaKerry »

We have been hard at work kn the SMRS this summer and the results are starting to show. The mainline looks better then ever and nearly weed free. The 75 is in the process of a repaint and one side is complete. Fall color tours are selling out and trains have been at capacity for most runs all summer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 814&type=3
Photo courtesy of member Mike Koprowicz.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: SMRS is showing results

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I had forgotten what the SMRS is and did some looking on Google. I found the SMRS web pages and had to really dig deep to find you are in Clinton Mi. Can I suggest your web people put up a map of the system and another map showing how to get there.

http://southernmichiganrailroad.com/

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Pixl wrote:I had forgotten what the SMRS is and did some looking on Google. I found the SMRS web pages and had to really dig deep to find you are in Clinton Mi. Can I suggest your web people put up a map of the system and another map showing how to get there.

http://southernmichiganrailroad.com/
Yeah, even some very basic additions would do wonders for that lacking site. The wiki page on the museum seems to have more information. lol

BTW, what was the full route of the Palmyra and Jacksonburgh Railroad? Are there any maps of the full line?
Last edited by MiddleMI on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

4 simple business ideas for a website: who, what, where, when

Who are we--> Southern Michigan Railroad Society
What do we do--> Operate senic train rides on historic tracks with historic locomotives
Where are we--> Clinton Michigan (insert address here)
When are we open--> On select weekends throughout the year and to members

There's my business advising, the bill is in the mail :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Because I am curious, How is the restoration on the RS1 going?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I am makimg plans for a trip as soon as the RS1 is going!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

MQT1223 wrote:I am makimg plans for a trip as soon as the RS1 is going!
All in due time. 21 needs a lot of TLC

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Wasn't the original timeline for the 21 like 6 months James? Given in spring or something.. I went to look for the linked post on that other form that said so and gave a timeline and details but it doesn't exist anymore.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

The 21 project is a back burner project which a few members are working on, on their own. I have not been involved with it as most of my time is involved with keeping what we have running, running.

I will say that there are other big things in the works currently and it is an exciting time to be an active member at the SMRS. If you want to get some real railroad experience fast we are the place to do it.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:The 21 project is a back burner project which a few members are working on, on their own. I have not been involved with it as most of my time is involved with keeping what we have running, running.

I will say that there are other big things in the works currently and it is an exciting time to be an active member at the SMRS. If you want to get some real railroad experience fast we are the place to do it.
Any hints or things your willing to reveal or is that what time is for?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

BTW, what was the full route of the Palmyra and Jacksonburgh Railroad? Are there any maps of the full line?
The Erie and Kalamazoo was the first railroad built in Michigan, which at the time was a US Territory. the E&K ran from Toledo to Adrian Michigan. Today that line exists in two segments, the NS branch to the Elevator at Ottawa Lake, and the Adrian & Blissfield main line from Riga to Adrian.

The original routing was slightly different from the A&B now. Instead of the line curving north at Palmyra and going to what is now Lenawee Jct, it continued straight into Adrian coming into town roughly at the spot where the A&B interchange is with NS now. When the Jackson branch and Monroe branches were built creating Lenawee Jct, there was increased traffic through the Jct and the Monroe branch created a second route into Adrian, making the original route from Palmyra to Adrian bypassing Lenawee Jct unneeded. Today this is reflected by the mileposts on the line indicating miles to "L" Lenawee Jct, and miles to "J" Jackson. This can be observed along the SMRS, where I believe every milepost is still in place, abet some well hidden.

The Palmyra and Jacksonburgh branch was the first branch line off the first railroad into Michigan, this line originally broke off of the E&K at Palmyra, but when the realignment happened the start of the branch was a Lenawee Jct instead. The P&K was first built to Tecumseh using wooden rails with horses pulling modified stage coaches and wagons. The line ultimately reached Jackson and would go on to serve as an important connection between the Michigan Southern and the Michigan Central lines. Most of the remaining line has 105lb rail, unusually heavy rail for a branch line, which shows the importance of the line to the LS&MS / NYC. Most of the rail is dated between 1919 and 1928.

In the 1960s the Jackson branch was cut back to Manchester, and then to Clinton, where the line served its main costumer the Budd factory. With the line only extending to Clinton, as well as the Old Road and Monroe branches loosing their significance due to losing sections of their routes, the line from Toledo to Clinton became known as the Clinton branch, rather than the Old Road and Jackson Branch.

Here is a timetable from 1914 describing the layout of the line.
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/T ... Branch.htm

Here is a map of the Jackson Branch which was a part of the NYC Lansing Division as of 1925
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/i ... ipp%5D.pdf

Here you can see the original route of the E&K into Adrian.
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/M ... weeMap.htm

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Nice write up Clay,

No spoilers or I will get my hand slapped again..

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

SousaKerry wrote:Nice write up Clay,

For a small muesum this is probably not the best policy. You guys should make all progress very public to get people excited for work and what is being done. If you guys have the 21 being painted it should be show, ect. Make people aware of progress and show it off. In the long run it could generate more business for rides and more volunteers. It's one thing for a big class 1 like NS to hide a paint job or project, however it's another for a small group who could use all of the publicity it could get.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

For a small muesum this is probably not the best policy
Some plans are with held because they may jeopardize the actual execution of the plan.

One sure fire way to find out is to join or at least come to a board meeting. There is one this Saturday at 7:00 at the Pallox property (301 Bartlett Clinton, MI 49236)

We would love to have you come be a part of things or just check us out, after all how much armchair railroading can one do. :D

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Ypsi wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:Nice write up Clay,

For a small muesum this is probably not the best policy. You guys should make all progress very public to get people excited for work and what is being done. If you guys have the 21 being painted it should be show, ect. Make people aware of progress and show it off. In the long run it could generate more business for rides and more volunteers. It's one thing for a big class 1 like NS to hide a paint job or project, however it's another for a small group who could use all of the publicity it could get.
No you see as Sousa Kerry has pointed out, to learn more you have to join. So keep it private to bring up membership.
It's an exclusive club don'tcha know? Same thing as frats and your local lodges. In order to know you have to join.
I don't see how telling us what is going on could possibly jeopardize any project, assuming said project has a concrete plan of action. Outside forces should be irrelevant.

Disclaimer!!! I am not attacking SMRS, I am simply pointing out the BS.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Follow up point. Why title this thread "SMRS" is showing results" then proceed to not talk about and somewhat refuse to talk about said results?
-Kurt Vonnegut

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

I think you might be reading into it a little much... Just as the people here on railroadfan involved with or working for the C&M, SRI, GLC, Amtrak and other railroads don't post detailed notes about all of their activities here, SMR is the same. There really isn't a need to share with the world our track maintenance list or our sales figures or that sort of thing. SMR is far from a private club. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, just because we are not wanting to spill the beans on a few larger projects in the works just yet. Come on out any weekend we are running (every Saturday and Sunday in October) and see what we are up too, we are too busy working to be tied up with social club type activities!

Some things that are going on at SMR,

11.5 miles professionally weed sprayed.

One crossing repaved, another to be rebuilt this month.

Over $10,000 in maintenance into the GE 44-tonner in the last two years.

New historically correct markings on the GE - tonner, still in progress.

2015 ridership is the highest in the 30+ year history of SMR, allowing funds for much needed work.

Our track crew with new mechanized help has become much more efficient, with any luck hopefully more mechanized help will come next year.

With our new shop buildings a number of our speeders and track equipment is getting some TLC from none other than SousaKerry himself. Expect to see them out this winter hauling ties!

There is a good bit going on at the SMR, however posting things a master plan for the RS-1 when we are still in the process of making said master plan would be irresponsible, as the information would quickly be out of date. Once we have all the info together and set for that project, as well as others, we will be sure to share it!

Also disclaimer, not at all bashing you ConrailMan, just trying to help you see our side of things. I would be glad to expound more on an area or subject that you'd like cleared up! As the Volunteer Coordinator for this place, it's in my best interest to help people get interested in the SMR, so fire away with any questions and I'll answer! :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

I appreciate that Clay320, now that I see where your thought process is at, let me get at my point.

If you are a museum/ heritage railroad that relies on volunteers I believe it is in your best interest in being transparent. I am not looking for detailed financials or any of that, but if you are going to say that there are projects going on, then it would be nice to know what they are before I get involved. Saying "more stuff is in the works" just is really shadowy and gives me as an outsider a bad vibe about the organization. Being secretive gives that air of exclusivity, makes it seem like the point of the thread was to lure members in rather than attract new members. Additionally, If I had to drive from say the North suburbs of Detroit (which I don't but hypothetically speaking) all the way to Clinton to volunteer, I would like to know what I would be working on and that it wont be a waste of my time. Your synopsis did that perfectly.

The information that was previously posted in this thread was really a turnoff for me volunteering for you all honestly. It made me feel like you were just teasing us in an effort to get more volunteers, and the quip about "armchair railroading" was not the most inviting. Also, saying that "releasing information could Jeopardize the projects" makes me think that things are not well organized or run down there, as any project worth its salt should have a concrete execution plan (and if there is no concrete plan yet, such as on the Rs1, I don't blame you for not saying it). But just making a blanket statement like that does not sit well with me because it implies that all ongoing projects are like that. Adding people or just telling what you are going to do on any project with a concrete plan should have no bearing on the outcome of that project given strong leadership.
I know that most of these things aren't true, but if I had no idea what the SMRS was this is what the thread would make me think.

Again, not an attack, just my perspective.

Edit: Also, I would like to say that I did not post what I did because of the RS1, I was genuinely curious about its progress.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Good points, being transparent and open is key.
I'm glad I could help clear things up somewhat for you. If there are any projects that peak your interest, I'd be happy to provide details as I'm able to.

Likely the biggest topic is the RS-1. Our volunteer numbers are on a slow increase, which has allowed us to expand our focus of maintenance and restoration efforts beyond keeping our regular train consist in shape.

One of the big projects as far as equipment we would like to work on is the RS-1. From a history standpoint is an important locomotive as it is from the Ann Arbor Railroad which makes it a good piece to help share Michigan railroad history. Also there are not a lot of RS-1s running around now days, and a operating example would be a great way to teach about the history of early diesels and Alco. It is a valuable piece to us , and now that we can spend a little more time on it.

What is the future of the RS-1? One day I would like to see it pull our train, but there is a lot between here and there. The biggest step in this direction will come when our indoor shop building is properly setup so that the RS-1 can be brought inside and have a proper restoration. Getting it inside is probably two years or so in the future as our shop building is fairly new to us and needs to be properly equipped and setup for efficient use, and the fact that it would need to be trucked over the NS crossing, which requires a good chunk of our rainy day fund. In the meantime I believe batteries are being looked into for the engine. We are buying new ones for the 44 - tonner at some point and we would swap the 44's batteries into the RS-1. Paint is obviously another project that could be tackled in the meantime. James might know if there is a plan of action on painting. Ether way I'm sure we could use a few hands with paint brushes if anyone is interested!

ConrailMan5 wrote: "releasing information could Jeopardize the projects"
I'll send you a PM regarding this.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Sorry If my teaser comments were mistaken for secrecy I was merely trying to drum up interest and hopefully shake some help out of the woodwork. I personally only joined SMRS this winter and I am kicking myself for not joining sooner.

I also wish I lived and worked closer as then I could spend weekday evenings helping out as well and not just weekends.