MSU Coal

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KC
Railroadfan...fan

MSU Coal

Unread post by KC »

http://www.9and10news.com/story/2875295 ... it-in-2016

MSU to phase out coal use at power plant, end it in 2016
Posted: Apr 08, 2015 2:50 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 08, 2015 2:50 PM EDT

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Michigan State University says it will phase out use of coal at its East Lansing power plant by the end of next year.

The university says most of its coal use at the T.B. Simon Power Plant will end in 2015 and it will cease entirely by the end of 2016.

Michigan State said in a statement Wednesday that the move is part of its Energy Transition Plan adopted three years ago.

The plant on the south end of campus now burns natural gas, coal and biomass to produce steam for heating and electrical power generation.

The school says three of the four boilers burn natural gas. It says that the plant's coal use has fallen by 65 percent since 2009-2010.

Online:

Details: http://bit.ly/1PkqYMi

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: MSU Coal

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Building that whole new yard off the CSX and buying an SW14 for switching sure was a short-sighted move!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:Building that whole new yard off the CSX and buying an SW14 for switching sure was a short-sighted move!
My first thought. And this was part of their plan three years ago? That extension on the east end came just shortly before that. I wonder how much money they spent for the track that is soon to be obsolete.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Maybe they will start running unit trains of dairy cows for export? They can graze em and load em up right on the spot!
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Or sheep?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

KittyLitter wrote:Maybe they will start running unit trains of dairy cows for export? They can graze em and load em up right on the spot!
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Or sheep?
Or a NCAA Men's Basketball champion train?

Oh wait...that's right. Nevermind. :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Hilarious, Saturnalia. If I am not mistaken you are a Michigan fan... how did they do in the NCAA Tournament this year? It's cute how they make it to the final four once every 20 years...

:P

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

What a big waste with the investment of that yard and locomotive! With MSU being an major university that praises the environmentalists and EPA, was this any surprise? I think not.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sports are stupid.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:Sports are stupid.
Van Halen is stupid.

OOOOOOH!
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Yeah well I don't build and work on stuff all day as my employment and then come home and go to forums about building and working on industrial machinery and then play with toy presses, forklifts, robots or welders only to go to work tomorrow to build and work on more machinery... lol

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Sports are stupid.
Van Halen is stupid.

OOOOOOH!
At least I have hair!

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Haha!
Attachments
JT_IS_BALD
JT_IS_BALD

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

J T wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Building that whole new yard off the CSX and buying an SW14 for switching sure was a short-sighted move!
My first thought. And this was part of their plan three years ago? That extension on the east end came just shortly before that. I wonder how much money they spent for the track that is soon to be obsolete.

Maybe they should just burn money instead of coal?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote: At least I have hair!
Hey, my girlfriend loves my bald head. Wait, you do know what a girlfriend is, right?

donnieland
Owner of Donnieland's Outpost

Unread post by donnieland »

top of the 2nd inning with sd80mac coming to the plate with jt pitching with a one run lead
don baxter

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:
J T wrote:
Maybe they should just burn money instead of coal?
The push for windmills before the technology is advanced enough to replace very efficient and clean burning coal plants is going to cost us more eventually.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'm happy to see coal plants closing. Start shutting down natural gas ones too as more renewables come online. Hope it gives a greater push for rooftop solar, home battery systems, cheaper prices for the before mentioned products, and cleaner air.
Ramp up utility solar and add some thorium reactors for extra base load, all will be well.
Continuing to burn coal and NG will cost us more in the long run as climate change continues to be affected.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ wrote:Continuing to burn coal and NG will cost us more in the long run as climate change continues to be affected.
There is no evidence that human activity is affecting the climate. The more people are exposed to "both sides" of the debate the more people are agreeing that climate change is simply the natural course of weather change that has been occurring since the earth was formed. If you care to discuss further I'll be happy too :D I can have an adult conversation about the subject without name calling.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Continuing to burn coal and NG will cost us more in the long run as climate change continues to be affected.
There is no evidence that human activity is affecting the climate. The more people are exposed to "both sides" of the debate the more people are agreeing that climate change is simply the natural course of weather change that has been occurring since the earth was formed. If you care to discuss further I'll be happy too :D I can have an adult conversation about the subject without name calling.

I agree. First it was an ice age then global warming then "climate change" just to cover their bases. Everything that is alive is in a state of change so that name is meaningless.
Then there was Climategate, the cabal of scientist (who are not even all experts in the field) caught fixing data in 2010 and more recently NASA had to admit they were fixing old historical data but only after they absolutely had too. Follow the money

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I agree with AARR. There is NO human-caused global warming/climate change. Nature is going to do what it is going to do. I am old enough to have lived in the 1970s, when the "scientists" were claiming that the earth was heading for another ice-age, and soon!

For that matter, I like to mention to folks that Michigan and the Great Lakes were formed by glaciers coming down from the north. So, in other words, the earth cooled enough to have way more ice cover than it has now. But then, the earth warmed enough to melt the glaciers and they went away. The funny thing is, there weren't enough humans around to have influenced ANY of that! Nobody was driving SUVs, there weren't any factories polluting the air, etc. (I could also mention that northern Texas got a couple of major snowstorms this past winter, something they're not used to.)

You younger folks, just wait around another 30 or 40 years when all of the "experts" will start warning about "global cooling" again, instead of today's "global warming"! Mark my words, it will happen!

For that matter, I do believe that the whole "global warming/climate change" is just being pushed by folks who hate capitalism, and who want to shut down most "big business." I guess they don't realize that when they shut down "big business" they are also shutting down people's jobs!

And yeah, I'd actually like to see us use more "clean" power like solar and windmills, but you must still have the infrastructure in place to generate 100% of your power needs without relying on unreliable sources of energy like solar and windmills. What would you do when you have heavily overcast/cloudy, calm days, and you can't get any power from solar/wind?

And battery systems are "dirty" in the respect that rare (toxic) elements have to be mined to make the batteries, and then later disposed of. Not to mention that you need to generate the electricity somewhere to charge the batteries! (Just don't generate it in a NIMBY's backyard.)

So, to tie this in to railroading somehow, maybe railroads should look at electrification again, especially on heavily used mainlines? They would still have to generate the electricity somewhere, maybe even using some solar/wind to supplement coal/nuclear. But then us foamers wouldn't get to smell diesel exhaust when we're out next to the tracks!

Garry K