Semaphores in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Semaphores in Michigan

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Just curious as to where the last semaphores were in Michigan before they were replaced. Are there any semaphores still around, whether abandoned or partial? I thought I saw something about a fixed semaphore still in service somewhere near the shores of Lake Michigan. Anyone care to fill in?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Semaphores in Michigan

Unread post by NYCMan »

The place to see semaphores was West Detroit.... up until around 1976. There was a beautiful signal bridge overlooking 6 tracks. Semaphores are all gone now, except for what you might find in a railfan's backyard. I do know someone posted a list of semaphores still left in the USA a few years back and, curiously, person or persons unknown went about "preserving" a few of them... without permission of the owing railroads.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

There is a fixed one at the Holland Depot...next to the caboose.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only semaphores left to my knowledge are just fixed approach aspects, they are just blades with a yellow light that don't move. Kalamazoo has (had?) one north of the diamonds on the Grand Elk, and there's one in Saginaw on the Lake State. There was one in Manistee before the swing bridge on Marquette, but I think that has been replaced.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Correct, the approach signal in Manistee was replaced.

Along the same lines...are there any remaining wigwags out there?

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

There are operational, fully-functional, wigs wags AND semaphores to be seen at Greenfield Village, Dearborn.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

SD80MAC wrote:The only semaphores left to my knowledge are just fixed approach aspects, they are just blades with a yellow light that don't move. Kalamazoo has (had?) one north of the diamonds on the Grand Elk,
The southbound approach to Kalamazoo is a grade crossing light with a yellow lens and wooden arm. It looks like a genuine semaphore from a distance but isn't. The northbound approach is a fixed semaphore. The GTW diamond at Gibson St was protected with a tilting target signal until the diamond was removed in the 80's.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

The semaphore at N 6th Ave in Saginaw has been replaced. Attached file is a recent photo taken by Ron Cady.
Attachments
Saginaw.jpg

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

There is one more on the Lake States in Buena Vista on the Port Huron Sub just south of the I-75 overpass but a person would have to severally trespass to get a shot. You can see it down the tracks going over the tracks on the Xway.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Yeah the semaphore at Portage Street is still up and is locked in an "approach" aspect. As far as I know, it's the only semaphore still up in the immediate area. I doubt Grand Elk would replace it if it's just going to be an approach signal.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Yeah the semaphore at Portage Street is still up and is locked in an "approach" aspect. As far as I know, it's the only semaphore still up in the immediate area. I doubt Grand Elk would replace it if it's just going to be an approach signal.
Here is the approach signal on Portage Street in Kalamazoo MI,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalrail/15987700041/

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

There was an operating ex PM semaphore in use on the reconstruction of the Shay line in Haring north of Cadillac when I was last there ten years ago. The C&O donated it to the Lansing Model Railroad Club who in turn sold it many years later to a guy in Howell. When he passed away it went to the Haring group. Anyone know if this is still in operation?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

There is one more on the Lake States in Buena Vista on the Port Huron Sub just south of the I-75 overpass but a person would have to severally trespass to get a shot. You can see it down the tracks going over the tracks on the Xway.
Is this a Lake State line? I thought it was Huron and Eastern? Either way, I have never been able to find a photo of this semaphore. We need an HESR engineer (or LSRC or whoever it is) to help us out! I'm just curious to know what the thing looks like at less than 70mph!

Here's a photo (now almost 10 years old) showing the northbound Rule 285-A Approach semaphore at Portage Street in Kalamazoo. Based on the current image posted above, it needs a bit of a paint job!

I'm not sure where the last functioning semaphore(s) were in Michigan, but the last close by were on the old "backside" of the Toledo Terminal at Hallet Tower in Toledo. There was a pair of T2 semaphores controlled by the tower operator to move trains off the backside and onto the CSX. I believe these were replaced around 2007 when some signalling upgrades took place and some track may have been realigned.

And since we talked about it, here's a 2004 photo of the old approach blade in Manistee, which has now been replaced:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I have been told there is a person in Howell who has a working semaphore, in his yard near the CSX Plymouth sub, and will "line" it for trains when they go by...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Hello GP30M4216 as far as i know LSRC owns to Townline Rd past that its HESR. Because LSRC serves Nexteer witch is the old Delphi and before that GM plant.
And also there used to be Semaphores at Mershon the south home signals on the old NYC main up until 1985.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

There are 2 in Kalamazoo on the Elk

One south of BO near Portage Rd. And one north of BO forget the street name. Both Fixed approach.
Mark it Zero.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PatAzo wrote: The southbound approach to Kalamazoo is a grade crossing light with a yellow lens and wooden arm. It looks like a genuine semaphore from a distance but isn't.
Can you elaborate on this? I've seen that semaphore a bunch of times but I've never heard of the term "grade crossing light" in reference to it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
PatAzo wrote: The southbound approach to Kalamazoo is a grade crossing light with a yellow lens and wooden arm. It looks like a genuine semaphore from a distance but isn't.
Can you elaborate on this? I've seen that semaphore a bunch of times but I've never heard of the term "grade crossing light" in reference to it.
I think he means a grade crossing flasher...MQT's SB approach in Manistee is one, just changed out the red lense with a yellow one

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

J T wrote:
From Mosel it looks like the one at Portage Rd, a semaphore with the potential to have multiple indications but with the spectacle locked in an approach indication. But if you walk back and take a look it is the light off a grade crossing signal with a yellow lens in place of red and a home made blade tacked in place on the pole.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the explanation, Pat. I'll take a closer look next time. Unfortunately you can't get very close to it without trespassing, though.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.