Teardrop Location "Contest"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Teardrop Location "Contest"

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So I recently acquired a US&S Model 15A Crossing Bell, aka a Teardrop bell that reportedly came off the Wabash and cosmetically restored it and did some minor servicing to get everything working back at 100%. It was working, but it works better now and sits in my basement and I ring it at least once a day to keep everything loose. That's not the point of this thread, the point of this thread is to see where I could possibly set it up one day to ring for a train or two. How would this be possible? All I need is a car battery and a cord with Alligator clips to make the bell work where ever and whenever I want. I WOULD NOT HOOK THE BELL UP TO THE PHYSICAL CROSSING. I WOULD ACTIVATE THE BELL MANUALLY. That is the easy part, the hard part of this whole thing is WHERE DO I SET UP THE BELL? So that is where I come to you, people of railroadfan.com. I want all of your minds to come together on this thread, and give me some ideas on where I should set up the bell. I want to call it a contest, but it's more of just a gathering of ideas. Only a few rules I gotta impose though. The bell has to be set up at a crossing where there is a regularly scheduled train everyday (I can't sit outside with a 50 lbs bell for too long); and the drive cannot be ridiculous (I don't want to drive to Holland or Lansing and back, that's too far for me. If the equipment at the crossing makes it worth it I will consider it). If you want to make the decision easier for me you can pick a crossing that USED to have Teardrops in service at that location. :wink:

FYI for those of you that don't know, I am in the Grandville area to help out with crossing distances.

So, people of railroadfan.com, I ask you:

Where would you like to see a Teardrop bell make a guest appearance?

I will post which crossing(s) I will be bringing the bell to and when (date and time) I will bring the bell out when I make the decision(s). Most likely I will bring my camera with me to capture the event on film and for youtube.

Good Luck!
Last edited by MQT1223 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Teardrop Location "Contest"

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You could bring it out to The CPMY perhaps...no active crossing protection except Fruit Ridge. There are several places you could do it...perhaps one of the guys who is a member here could help you out. No daily trains, but there is a weekend schedule to work from...up to six trains by each potential spot with the Pumpkin train running IIRC. So, multiple shots could be taken from multiple locations.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:You could bring it out to The CPMY perhaps...no active crossing protection except Fruit Ridge. There are several places you could do it...perhaps one of the guys who is a member here could help you out. No daily trains, but there is a weekend schedule to work from...up to six trains by each potential spot with the Pumpkin train running IIRC. So, multiple shots could be taken from multiple locations.
Yeah that is a possibility. I would prefer a crossing with something more then just crossbucks though if possible. The weekend schedules do help though and are easy to follow. If only there was a way to know when they cross Fruitridge Ave. But I will consider the CPMY tracks...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:You could bring it out to The CPMY perhaps...no active crossing protection except Fruit Ridge. There are several places you could do it...perhaps one of the guys who is a member here could help you out. No daily trains, but there is a weekend schedule to work from...up to six trains by each potential spot with the Pumpkin train running IIRC. So, multiple shots could be taken from multiple locations.
I would've thought you would've gave me a Marquette Rail Crossing before suggesting the CPMY. :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
I would've thought you would've gave me a Marquette Rail Crossing before suggesting the CPMY. :lol:
Well I assume you don't want to go past Sparta? Otherwise they're a night crawler
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Well I assume you don't want to go past Sparta? Otherwise they're a night crawler
Yeah true... I am more or less hoping I don't end up having to use Amtrak for this. If I have to I have to.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

you could bring down to the western Michigan railroad club and I could hook it up to one of the crossing down there

Rob

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

rob wrote:you could bring down to the western Michigan railroad club and I could hook it up to one of the crossing down there

Rob
Depends on if you can give it the 10-12 Volts it needs... That would drive the guys insane as well as Jeff and Butch. We already toned the bells down once for the crossings... but is definitely a possibility. That would be insane seeing little HO scale trains setting off a Teardrop. :lol: Nice suggestion Rob. Could do it for the Holidays.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:...and the drive cannot be ridiculous (I don't want to drive to Holland or Lansing and back, that's too far for me.!
Driving to Holland from Grandville is like driving to the other side of Grand Rapids.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:...and the drive cannot be ridiculous (I don't want to drive to Holland or Lansing and back, that's too far for me.!
Driving to Holland from Grandville is like driving to the other side of Grand Rapids.
I don't have much money, plus my dad would throw a fit. I might be 18 but I still live under his rules as long as I am under his roof. Why do you have a suggestion? I will consider a longer drive if the crossing is a good one.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
I just got another job after a few months of trying to get one so hopefully that range can be widened.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

rob wrote:you could bring down to the western Michigan railroad club and I could hook it up to one of the crossing down there

Rob
Your vast wealth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me Rob. How would you even hook up a standard crossing bell to an HO scale system and make it work with the crossing? You will have to keep me posted on when you will be down at the club next. I will bring the bell next time your down there to see how it could/would hook up to one of the crossing systems. I will still at some point remove it from the club and take it trackside though. :D

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I would advise not doing this at any crossing other than at a tourist operation. You would draw so mich unwanted attention to yourself by setting up at a public crossing with a odd shaped device, cables and a battery. And when the cops get called and can't figure out why this kid is doing what he's doing, I can garuntee they won't understand it and call the railroad. Plus I'm sure there is some of rule you would be violating by operating a warnin device at a public crossing and not being an governed employee. Stick to the model railroad club and foamer railroad.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

CAT345C wrote:I would advise not doing this at any crossing other than at a tourist operation. You would draw so mich unwanted attention to yourself by setting up at a public crossing with a odd shaped device, cables and a battery. And when the cops get called and can't figure out why this kid is doing what he's doing, I can garuntee they won't understand it and call the railroad. Plus I'm sure there is some of rule you would be violating by operating a warnin device at a public crossing and not being an governed employee. Stick to the model railroad club and foamer railroad.
At last, a voice of reason in a sea of foam.... :lol:

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I'd strongly suggest you forget this idea for any public crossing regardless of which RR it is. CAT345 has it correct and even the C&M Fruit Ridge crossing would not be an appropriate location.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

You know I have seen this done before and never thought once about that... hmmm... :|

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CAT345C wrote:I would advise not doing this at any crossing other than at a tourist operation. You would draw so mich unwanted attention to yourself by setting up at a public crossing with a odd shaped device, cables and a battery. And when the cops get called and can't figure out why this kid is doing what he's doing, I can garuntee they won't understand it and call the railroad. Plus I'm sure there is some of rule you would be violating by operating a warnin device at a public crossing and not being an governed employee. Stick to the model railroad club and foamer railroad.
At the same time now I wonder what I would be violating because I am not tampering with the existing warning system. But now a days the cops and railroad police are not that forgiving... so I bet I couldn't make the "I'm on public property" case with anyone.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
At the same time now I wonder what I would be violating because I am not tampering with the existing warning system. But now a days the cops and railroad police are not that forgiving... so I bet I couldn't make the "I'm on public property" case with anyone.
Hooking anything up to the tracks you'd be hard pressed to say you were on public property...

Should the FRA catch you, you'd be facing big fines and possible jail time.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:Just. Don't. Do. It.
If you're still going to do it let us know so we can be there with our video camera's and sell the video to True TV's "World's Dumbest" series :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

I have done this numerous times. It doesn't warrant a discussion here, but it takes common sense. Down in Wyandotte a bunch of us railfans would hang out at a VFW parking lot next to the tracks. When the trains would come we rung the old teardrop in the bed of a pickup truck. Nobody was the wiser since there are a bunch of bells going already. We figured it was a polite way to test out bells without angering neighbors or confusing people. We were also not setting anything up next to the crossing, we rang the bell from the truck. Save it for a nice day when there's a group of you out there so you dont look suspicious and make sure you are parked on public property. If i was up to something crazy and the least bit worried i would often wave to a cop driving by and ask them if it was alright, usually they would be cool with it. Don't try to rig up a contraption next to the tracks. We would usually ring the bell as the train was going by already to avoid any danger to confusing a motorist. I would bring it to a meet and show it of there.