Adrian & Blissfield Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
59caddy
bag of holding

Re: Adrian & Blissfield Operations

Unread post by 59caddy »

GTW6401 wrote:
59caddy wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:CN prefers they use the 836 on their rails in Detroit, so not everyone is a fan of the center cabs.

The #4 is down in Detroit still but sees little to no use because of the interchange.
Does DCON #9 see regular use? And how does #4 see limited use "because of the interchange"? :?
The #9 hasnt been in Detroit in a couple years. It was put on a semi truck and left the area. CN doesn't want the center cabs on their railroad because of the older style trucks they have.
That's too bad :( Oh well, there's still several more left on their system

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I was in Blissfield and Adrian yesterday and the old SGVY 999 was switching the MAC elevator in Blissfield the new number is ADBF 1223.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

penn central wrote:I was in Blissfield and Adrian yesterday and the old SGVY 999 was switching the MAC elevator in Blissfield the new number is ADBF 1223.
So they are using it! :D

How often do you figure they run it?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

59caddy wrote:
penn central wrote:I was in Blissfield and Adrian yesterday and the old SGVY 999 was switching the MAC elevator in Blissfield the new number is ADBF 1223.
So they are using it! :D

How often do you figure they run it?
Im not sure 59caddy my company i work for has me working out of Toledo Oh for a couple weeks i am home in Saginaw now i will head for Toledo tomorrow and get a motel for all week i am covering that area again this week i tell yea Adrian is a neat maze of tracks. I have my cameras packed to you never know what you will see out there. Edit- I will rephrase what i said, I know there using the 1223, But i am not sure how often.
Last edited by penn central on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

I was fanning the A&B Detroit line a couple weeks back and they were running their yellow GE 65-tonner over at CN's East Yard. So, the comments about CN not allowing A&B Detroit over the interchange must not be very accurate. I would expect that A&B probably would run the SW800 rather than the GE as the SW800 can handle more tonnage and is more quick-responsive than a GE centercab. Plus, a SW800 is far more fuel efficient than a GE centercab is. With diesel being over $4/gallon, I am sure the folks at A&B are doing what they can to conserve on fuel consumption whenever possible.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

No one ever said that they never use the GE for the CN interchange, it's just not the preferred unit to use. And unresponsive? You must have never run a GE switcher. Instant load.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Then the point is that the A&B elects not to use the GE-centercab but instead prefers to use the EMD SW800. It likely has nothing to do with "interchange" or "CN telling them no". If the GE was unworthy for interchange movement, then CN would say "absolutely not" not "we prefer you not."

And, during the course of my 43 years on the railroad, I've been in the seat of more the one GE centercab. They are a Volkswagen compared to a Buick. The GE centercabs had their place in small industries that needed more than a car mover. GE don't make them anymore.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Was bored at lunch today so I drove down to the Mason yard to check on the JAIL. Last year they were building a 2 stall engine shed. I was surprised to see that they never completed it, Shed is up and looks complete from the outside but the tracks were never connected to the main. A switch off of a siding is about 3/4 done and the other switch for the second track is non existent.

There is a temporary office structure there looks like possibly used as a crew lounge but may be left over from construction. Lots of new ties in the area but everything looks like it hasn't been touched in months weeds growing up between the new rails already.

I wonder if they ran out of cash or the contractor skipped town on them? Strange indeed...
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wawatam »

The trackwork you saw was started earlier in the summer and continues whenever the track crew has nowhere else they have to be. The engine house is mostly complete and did have one track going into it. However part of that track was taken up to add the second line into the barn and to tie into the existing run around track. They haven't worked on it much, but with winter coming I believe they will complete the work within a couple months.