NS B16 38J BJO1 Jackson ]10-13-05

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

NS B16 38J BJO1 Jackson ]10-13-05

Unread post by Scooterb »

Hear B16 coming east from Albion so I head out the door as I am leaving hear the detector go off east of Jackson so I know 38J is coming also. I miss 38J at east Jackson so I head to the yard and get these shots of B16.
He has droped his cars off to make a run around
He is taken the switch and heading back to his train
He has picked up his cars and is backing them into the yard
He is backed further in the yard you also can see NS 38J's train in the yard and on the far track is BJO1's train on the far track
Now for the picture of BJO1's power
As I get back to the house AMTK 355 and 352 arre arriving at Jackson Station.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Cool Pictures, Scott!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Nice photos!

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hey Scooter-
Great Photos. It's interesting to see similar operations as to what I find in Kalamazoo just a ways down the line....and it answers a few questions I had about where some of our local Conrail power has dissappeared to. so the 3059 moved over to Jackson - it was nice to see a "new" GP40-2 here for a while, and with the larger older CONRAIL logo...it was in Kalamazoo from early August to early October. I haven't seen 3066 yet this year, but it has the ITCS for running west of Kalamazoo. Up until today actually, the 3065 was nowhere to be seen, but today it reappeared and was working local B1G to Dowogiac and return. We also have 3067, 3069 and 3070, and somewhere perhaps 3068.

Can you give me some details of the operations in Jackson? Where do B16 and BJ01 specifically go, when do they go on duty and which run with cabooses? Where did you go to get your nice photos? Thanks a bunch!
-Nathan

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Nathan
Jackson operation's
These are just my observations over the years
38J arives from Elkhart early morning 5:00 am - 8:00 a.m. most days
BJO1 on duty 8 ish works the yard breaks 38J's train down
B16 heads to Albion after 1:00 p.m? not sure if this is as far west he goes or further.
38J heads east to Wayne
BJO1 works the Jackson area runs with caboose
Holsom bread that is south of the yard,
Wolverine vinal siding? never seen them switch ther but they always have cars of pellets?,
Omni Source scrap yard across Page Ave. just north of the yard.
Team track? south of the yard buildings. news paper?
Coil steel storage one of the old shop buildings in the yard
Omni Source scrap yard east of Airline drive off the old Airline tracks, several different areas at this place
Dawn Food products off the old LSMS line east of town by 127 South
Worthington Steel, Mac Steel, General Materials, on the old Cincinatti Northern south of town runs along M50 and under 127 Steel coil loads go to Worthington, scrap steel goes to Mac steel and fly ash? Lumber loads go to General Materials.
Between 4:00 an 7:00pm BJO1 finishes. B16 comes east from Albion,38J comes west from Wayne. plus the two AMTKS.
7:00 - 10:00 pm B28 comes down from Lansing makes his set out, pick ups then returns north around Midnight
11:00 pm 1:00 am 39J heads west to Elkhart.
will also have an occasional grain train for Albion that will stage out of Jackson.
These are just my observations any additions or corrections are welcome.
These pictures were taken at Jackson yard from the parking lot

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

hey does Mac Steele have it's own switcher or anything I have seen a self propeled crane there a few times but nothing else, also is there any public access to worthington?

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Welcome to the board,
All I have ever seen was the self propeled crane you should be able to go up the old entrance ramp for 127 and see whats in there, this is a dead end road now. Worthington steel has a RLCX switcher just north of the building you can see from 127 or if you pull in there parking lot you can get up to it. I dont think they have run it since they got it a couple years ago.