New Train NS Michigan Line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

New Train NS Michigan Line

Unread post by Scooterb »

NS 427 426 to use NS Michigan line from Toledo to Battle Creek. Interchanging with CN. Twice a week for now. This is good news for us fans down here.
Scooterb
PS missed the first one through Jackson last week. the 427 runs eastbound 426 westbound.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Do they run in the Day time or night time??

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

I heard him through Jackson about 6:30 p.m. on the 17th. when I hear him again I will post a time.
Scooterb

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Report 426 was in Bellevue Ohio 22:00 hours 8-21-05. UP 8186 SD9043AC
NS 8812 C40-9 for power.
Scooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:Report 426 was in Bellevue Ohio 22:00 hours 8-21-05. UP 8186 SD9043AC
NS 8812 C40-9 for power.
Scooterb
where are you finding the reports from scooter?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

My secret. HA HA, Actually a Yahoo group( NS lake division railfans.) lots of info on that site. a guy post reports from Bellevue and he had that listed.
Scooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:My secret. HA HA, Actually a Yahoo group( NS lake division railfans.) lots of info on that site. a guy post reports from Bellevue and he had that listed.
Scooterb
ah, very good. i haven't checked in on my yahoo groups in quite some time, but probably worth the check. thanks scooter!
Webmaster

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

More info, Ian reported on the short lines board he heard the 426 at about 2:00 a.m. on the 23rd. maybee if we keep our ears open we can figure out some type of operating pattern.
SCooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:More info, Ian reported on the short lines board he heard the 426 at about 2:00 a.m. on the 23rd. maybee if we keep our ears open we can figure out some type of operating pattern.
SCooterb
These are coal trains correct? If so, what size units are they?(110 unit trains?) Not sure if you have any info on this.
Webmaster

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

No info at this time. will post more info as I find out
Scooterb

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Info

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

UP 8126 was reported on a 426 train in Bellevue on the 21st of August. Doing a trace on that engine, shows the engine being interchange to CN in Battle Creek, then going to Lansing Board of Water and Light on C70891 23. This is quite the screwed up move, as how the tracks are arranged in Battle Creek, NS will have to pull the train west of Baron, and either go back onto their line and run around the train, or shove the train a couple of miles into the Battle Creek yard.

Equipment Location Pr Date Time(EST) L Train/ Destination Pr RR
Init Number St MM DD HHMM E Event BO/HLD St SCAC

UP 008186 LANSING MI 08 23 1100 U Arrive In-Transit C70891 CN
UP 008186 BATTLE CREEK MI 08 23 0943 U Departure C70891 CN
UP 008186 BATTLE CREEK MI 08 23 0416 U Departure C70891 CN
UP 008186 BATTLE CREEK MI 08 23 0415 U Junction Received NS

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Thanks Wayne. I was hoping you might chime in and let us know.
Scooterb

Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Info C708

Unread post by Ron »

The CN crew got the train from the NS at Baron and then pulled it west of the depot in Battle Creek and then shoved it east onto the Extension Track and then ran around the train to go to Lansing. Monday night was quite a confusing mess.

They pulled west of the depot and then had to wait for Q149 to leave and then M393 to leave. Then E249 had to go west FROM the extension track before they could shove the coal train onto it.

They then had to run around it and get a new air test before heading for Lansing.

This is NOT an easy move for either railroad in either direction!!!

Ron

JCinSummerfield
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JCinSummerfield »

Is there any particular reason NS couldn't go north from Jackson into Lansing, rather than west to Battle Creek?

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

To run a train up the Lansing Secondary to deliver to the CN would br twice as bad as any Battle Creek move. Several things, the track isn't all that great, and the move to actually get the train delivered to the CN would probably reselt in several derailments. All the way through town on NS to Michigan Ave, on the CSXT from Michigan Ave to Turner St, on NS from Turner St on the Beltline Main through the Northwest side of town on "fair" track to Saginaw Yard, by the GM plants down to the Interchange track in the New Yard, onto the CN at the west end of the (now not used auto loading docks) crossing out onto the CN industrial track which would finally have the train heading east. It's doable, but there would have to be a lot of track improvement on the NS and CN.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I don't see why the NS can't use the Ann Arbor at Toledo and travel on it all the way to Durand. Or hand the train off to CN at Lang Yard in Toledo

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

NS 426 9-15-05

NS 426 in Jackson as of 9:45 p.m. recrew called for 10:30. Might have BNSF power, radio has the squawk. heads up Battle creek Lansing.
Scooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Luke Irons wrote:I don't see why the NS can't use the Ann Arbor at Toledo and travel on it all the way to Durand. Or hand the train off to CN at Lang Yard in Toledo
The further NS carries the coal, the more revenue they get. No sense to leave it at Toledo when they can carry it to Battle Creek.
Webmaster

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Luke Irons wrote:I don't see why the NS can't use the Ann Arbor at Toledo and travel on it all the way to Durand. Or hand the train off to CN at Lang Yard in Toledo
NS have still use right of trackage on AARR from old Wabash Line-Milan interchange to Toledo. AARR have a good condition of the rails from Toledo to Omser but TSBY line has fair pounds of the rails from Omser to before onto CN Holly Subdivision line at Durand. Around in 1976, I remembered that I saw 5 ex-PC locomotives powered pull the coal cars as so long hauling cars on right of trackage Ann Arbor RR northbound through in Ann Arbor downtown.
(I found it, See link: http://pc.railfan.net/pics/northern/pc7902drb.jpg - PC operated unit coal trains over the Ann Arbor between Owosso, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio. Here is an example of one rolling past the Durand station on Ann Arbor rails, led by GP38 7902, two U23Bs, and two more GP38s, on March 28, 1976. In four more days, PC would vanish into Conrail. (The blue noise in the picture was some deterioration on the original print.) Photo by Dennis Bydash. (130 K))

AARR has still interchange to NS Michigan Line but asphalts covered on railroad crossing and closed because not use it since around on 1995era (I guess so). I let you that NS can't bring long hauling of the coal cars AARR old interchange - upgrade to downgrade steep sharp curve and once while a problem derail by turnout. I remembered that Penn Central then Conrail locomotive derailed at turnout spurred to Lansky Scrap-metal Yard. AARR RS-1 was derailed from turnout spurred same place. Now, it was a gone and changed another private clubs.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

And isn't the lansing secondary limited to 4 axle power although it would be a treat to see a 100 car coal train with gp's again I think i saw one in the early 90's with gp30's no less on csx trough fostoria when they were real short on power