Charlotte and Southern Visitors update thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Re: February 15, 2011 update

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:
Larry G wrote:At 15:00 hours the dinner train is ready to go out on an Unscheduled run in conjunction with a tour bus charter that arrived shortly before that.
Are they able to travel the full 2-3 miles or are there storage cars keeping the trip shorter?

The number of tank cars in storage is decreasing so the length of the DT ride is increasing. About 30 stored cars occupy the line west of the M-50 crossing so the run is almost full. Probably at least that same amount of cars east of the M-50 crossing. DT never crossed M-50 when line was shipping grain hoppers from the elevator. The ride ended just before the M-50 crossing and then the back-up began.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

3-5-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

A short cut of tank cars are spotted at the Dinner Train Loading area. They have been there a couple of days.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: 3-5-11 update

Unread post by AARR »

Larry G wrote:A short cut of tank cars are spotted at the Dinner Train Loading area. They have been there a couple of days.
It is CHS's beer train. The tank cars are filled with beer and railfans sit on the cars drinking till their hearts are content :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

3-9-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:
Larry G wrote:A short cut of tank cars are spotted at the Dinner Train Loading area. They have been there a couple of days.
It is CHS's beer train. The tank cars are filled with beer and railfans sit on the cars drinking till their hearts are content :lol:

The EB CN local stopped around 10:00 and pulled this cut of cars off the CHS past the derail and then headed to Lansing along with several empty car haulers for the GM Delta Plant.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

3-12-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

At 17:30 the CHS dinner train is in the loading area readying for a 19:00 departure out on the line.
Patrons will have near the full length ride tonight to just west of M-50. Now most of the tank cars on that side of the highway have been withdrawn from storage.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Pictures from 3-12-11 Run of Dinner Train

Unread post by Larry G »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54894386@N ... 521359722/

7 Pictures of tonight's train crossing Lansing Street around 19:30. Track circuit was acting up and flashers would not come on at first. Flagman used a flare to stop auto traffic before train went into the street. Flashers activated as train was about half way across the street and went off as Diner Butternut Creek cleared the street. Looked like everyone was enjoying a great meal as the train glided off into the darkness to the eastern end of the railroad.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

3-13-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

Charlotte Southern ran a special school charter train for elementary children from Leslie this afternoon at 14:15. Track circuit on Lansing Road worked flawlessly today. The elementary children appeared to be having a great time enjoying the ride and eating snacks in Dinning car Butternut Creek. Link to 9 photos taken today of the charter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54894386@N ... 132881071/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Charlotte and Southern Visitors update thread

Unread post by AARR »

They keep finding ways to generate revenue for CHS. I am glad to see it :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

Lucky kids! Bet they enjoyed it though, kids always love to ride trains.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

St. Patrick's Day update 2011

Unread post by Larry G »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54894386@N ... 288072152/ Link to 11 photos

CHS RR was busy this afternoon pulling cuts of tank cars off the east end for pick up by CN. A beautiful day to be out watching!!

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 3-20-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:

Here are the ones from St. Patrick's Day waiting to go out on CN. Wonder if they are full of green beer?? :mrgreen:

Notice the mole hills to right side of the ROW!! Do you dig them??? :mrgreen:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: 3-20-11 update

Unread post by AARR »

Larry G wrote:Image

Notice the mole hills to right side of the ROW!! Do you dig them??? :mrgreen:
What do you call moles who go to church
Holy Moley :lol: :oops:

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

3-27-11 update

Unread post by Larry G »

Appears CN has dropped some tank cars off for storage. Two cuts are up by the derail and old depot end of the line.

Looks like they are inbound since it isn't the usual 4 cuts going off line. That's the Ins and Outs for today. :P

Monday 3/28: On further observation these cars were going off line.....Odd movement as they only pulled down two cuts to go off instead of the uaual 4 cuts. Less than 30 cars remain out at the elevator end.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

March 31, 2011 update

Unread post by Larry G »

#3 puts out smoke pulling past the FB Elevator on M-50

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54894386@N ... 400406866/Link to photos Flickr

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2432351 More here on Trainorders

#3 ventured east of the M-50 crossing to move the last stored tanker cars west for interchange with CN.
As I write crew is in the process of bringing cars past the run-by track.
Last edited by Larry G on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is a nice sized elevator. It is too bad CN can not figure out a way to make money on their business within the reasonable business volume of the elevator.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

Larry, the link only shows the one photo as in your post- were there more?

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Rick in TC wrote:Larry, the link only shows the one photo as in your post- were there more?
Opps I posted the wrong link...Sorry

Correct one http://www.flickr.com/photos/54894386@N ... 400406866/

Try this one Rick~

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

AARR wrote:That is a nice sized elevator. It is too bad CN can not figure out a way to make money on their business within the reasonable business volume of the elevator.

The track and switch appear to be still in place under the mud along side the silos.

Trucks drive up on the RR grade to load here.

There are also several other newer metal grain bins to the left and out of the photo.

Someone really messed up here with the RR being left out. :roll:

After today no further scheduled trains until April 23 for the Dinner Train. An afternoon Easter Special and the evening Dinner Train that day. Unless more cars come in for storage it will be very quiet here in the weeks to come.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

Larry, the corrected links worked, and thanks for taking and posting those pics!

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

April 1, 2011 update

Unread post by Larry G »

Rick in TC wrote:Larry, the corrected links worked, and thanks for taking and posting those pics!

You are welcome Rick!...I went down and took photos of this cut waiting to go out today (4-1-11) on CN.

Thumbnails and link to Trainorders.com here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2432351