GLC (TSBY) New power

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PennCentralPowell
Railroadfan...fan

GLC (TSBY) New power

Unread post by PennCentralPowell »

3-3-11 caught GLC #385, #397,#398 and #399 departing Owosso, Mi. @ 11:32 AM with 34 cars heading north on the main. Also video taped him crossing Dewey and Mason Rd. The #398 and #399 were dead or idling in tow. The #398 has a nice set of flat spots on its wheels. Also got TSBY (GLC) #394 going north up the St. Charles Branch w/17 covered hoppers for Frutchey Grain in Oakley.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: GLC (TSBY) New power

Unread post by GLC 392 »

The 396 already blew up from what I'm told.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

PennCentralPowell wrote:Also video taped him crossing Dewey and Mason Rd. The #398 and #399 were dead or idling in tow. The #398 has a nice set of flat spots on its wheels. Also got TSBY (GLC) #394 going north up the St. Charles Branch w/17 covered hoppers for Frutchey Grain in Oakley.
Please post your video. Thanks! :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Flex plate on the #396 broke. Sounds like Paducah may be coming up to fix it.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Flex plate? :?

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Flex plate is what I was told from the Mech Dept. I dont know diesels so I take his word on it.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

As I remember (we're on shakey ground already) the flex plate is an interface between
the engine and the main generator. Much like the pressure plate between the engine
and transmission (part of the clutch assembly) in a standard shift car. It is torqued
somewhere between 1500 and 2000 ft. lbs.

If the unit arrived without the flex plate being properly tightened you can imagine the possible
damage.

If I were the RR, I would insist that the vendor do the disassembly under my watchful eye.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Thank you. :D

Nighttrain404
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Nighttrain404 »

Why is it that the tracks aren't used up here ? And is the GLC going to rip the tracks from TC to Grawn?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nighttrain404 wrote:Why is it that the tracks aren't used up here ? And is the GLC going to rip the tracks from TC to Grawn?
Tracks are still used to Williamsburg to switch the lumber yard in Bates.

Tracks to Grawn are not used because customer who received their product went to plastic containers (from glass). Grawn's plant is not equipped to make plastic containers. So customer went to another plant for their product.

I have not heard that tracks in Traverse City area will be removed. But it would not surprise me if they do. A car or two a week for 45-50 miles of track is very low.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Nighttrain404
Railroadfan...fan

If the tracks are removed from TC to grawn future trail development with T.A.R.T trails and possible more space for the development of another road.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nighttrain404 wrote:If the tracks are removed from TC to grawn future trail development with T.A.R.T trails and possible more space for the development of another road.
Rail to Trails are nice if rail service can not survive. I enjoy riding my bike and jogging rail to trails. There is still some hisotirical stuff around to see.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

Rails to Trails to Grawn? Only if you want to buy meth, weed, or dodge the drunks of Grawn. Grawn is the Flint of northern Michigan. And no need for another road- US31 is not over capacity in the ten miles between Grawn and TC (GLC pretty much runs along side within a few feet to a few miles all the way to TC in the river valley). :evil:

I doubt the tracks will be removed anytime soon. First, GLC can't remove what they don't own, and I doubt MDOT is thinking about this right now. More important things to worry about and plan for...

Nighttrain404
Railroadfan...fan

It would be nice scenery for people who enjoy trails, but also when i met another road. Meaning Between S. Airport to 8th street bypassing Cass St.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

They are already workingon plans for that- Lake Avenue. Starting near 17th Street and going to 8th, along the GLC line. So line would not need to be removed (just the wye). That moves all the traffic off Cass from 17th to 8th, which is the most congested portion now. MDOT ir requiring the City to relocate the wye (thye won't allow the two additional grade crossings on the existing wye). The city has an option on property directly across from the TCAPS bus garage for a new wye.