Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by ns8401 »

Doktor No wrote:The LTEX is going east on todays 326. It is billed for ALRO STEEL in Lansing.
Doc was that the same billing as the first one? They were supposedly going to be used by the JAIL.... Alro only has a 105,000 Sq. Ft. facility in lansing so I wouldn't think it will sit there and just work ALRO exclusively...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Doktor No wrote:The LTEX is going east on todays 326. It is billed for ALRO STEEL in Lansing.
I'm sure JAIL appreciates the heads-up Dok.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Well since Alro is on the JAIL, it's up to them if they deliver it there or not. I'm pretty sure they know where it's going. They wouldn't knowingly deliver an engine for them to Alro. Maybe CSX doesn't have an interchange code in the computer yet for JAIL so they just used Alro so it would get directed to the right railroad/location. If Alro was on CSX, that'd be different. Then nobody would know it's actually for JAIL. It'd probably sit in Wyoming for a month. But, Alro being on the JAIL, once it's interchanged to the JAIL in Lansing, CSX could care less where it goes. Point is, it's getting to the right interchange...
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:Well since Alro is on the JAIL, it's up to them if they deliver it there or not. I'm pretty sure they know where it's going. They wouldn't knowling deliver an engine for them to Alro. Maybe CSX doesn't have an interchange code in the computer yet for JAIL so they just used Alro so it would get directed to the right railroad/location. If Alro was on CSX, that'd be different. Then nobody would know it's actually for JAIL. It'd probably sit in Wyoming for a month. But, Alro being on the JAIL, once it's interchanged to the JAIL in Lansing, CSX could care less where it goes. Point is, it's getting to the right interchange...
Mr Tops is on the right track :) I'm not sure us average railfans realize what can happen to even a short line's locomotive on a big system like CSX. I've heard of some customers installing GPS's on their cars or even hiring riders who stay with their cars/equipment while enroute rather than rely on the Class 1's tracking system.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Mr. Tops wrote:Well since Alro is on the JAIL, it's up to them if they deliver it there or not. I'm pretty sure they know where it's going. They wouldn't knowingly deliver an engine for them to Alro. Maybe CSX doesn't have an interchange code in the computer yet for JAIL so they just used Alro so it would get directed to the right railroad/location. If Alro was on CSX, that'd be different. Then nobody would know it's actually for JAIL. It'd probably sit in Wyoming for a month. But, Alro being on the JAIL, once it's interchanged to the JAIL in Lansing, CSX could care less where it goes. Point is, it's getting to the right interchange...
That's a good point Tops :) I forgot about the fact that CSX may not have had a code put in for the JAIL yet... maybe they think it's bad karma or something like that to be sending perfectly innocent cars to JAIL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The J&L had a busy day on the Belt in Lansing today. The LETX 1419 arrived with 3 tank cars and 7 mty boxes around 12:45pm. On my way back through town they were still switching storage cars and had a minor derailment about 4:15pm. The A&B 1760 arrived with 11 coil cars for storage along with a two bay hopper at 5:40pm. All the coil cars in storage that I saw are ex NS restenciled for DLRX and built in 1998 and '99. No sign of the LETX 1443 on the Belt or the CSX at Ensel.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

This afternoon in Mason, the 1758 was sitting on the siding behind the old freight station. About 4pm the 1760 and a short train (a couple of coil cars, and half a dozen boxcars) arrived from the North and parked on the main north of North st.

I'm guessing after they got the snow cleared from the switches, that they took the boxes down to MPC, since I saw the 1760 coming back light across Kipp Rd about 7pm. Followed it back across town, and they parked it back on the main north of North st.

Dan Cluley

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

Dan, nice photo. Did you notice down by the Tank Car the 3 bundles or railroad ties. And the generator ( I think) just North of where 1760 was. I wonder if they are adding or going to repair the track? 1758 is still at the siding this morning.

Ralph

mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mustangjoe448 »

They r getting cars in Jackson yard right now love those locomotives.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

GTWRalph wrote:Dan, nice photo. Did you notice down by the Tank Car the 3 bundles or railroad ties. And the generator ( I think) just North of where 1760 was. I wonder if they are adding or going to repair the track? 1758 is still at the siding this morning.

Ralph

Thanks, I did see the generator (or maybe compressor?) up there, but it was too cold to wander that far :wink:

1760 and about 15 cars came back north from Jackson about 7:30-7:45 tonight.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Could you guys also start a Jail thread in the Train Location Updates / Heads Ups section?

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Check this video out of Jackson-Lanisng RR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgttTIeDz4

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Train was:
ADBF 1758
1 Covered Hopper
ADBF 1760
2 Gons
1 Tank
3 Coils
1 Gon
---------------------
8 MIXED

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I'm starting a new job tonight working outside at RSDC. If I see anything exciting or trains heading out I will try to post something. I'm told I'll have lots of hours to be bored around there so watching J&L do their thing there sounds like a really good idea. I mean I'd be doing it anyway, why not get paid for it lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

rustbeltrailroad wrote:Check this video out of Jackson-Lanisng RR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgttTIeDz4
Finally got to watch it. Thanks for posting.

GTWRalph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWRalph »

Nice surpise this morning on my way to work. Both GP-9's and GP-15 #1443 where in Mason. This is the first time I have seen #1443 in Mason.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

I've heard as of earlier today, that 1760, 1758, and 1443 are all parked in north mason, just north of north st.
Great photo op!
But please don't go climbing around on the locos or trespassing we don't want ADBF get pissed at us.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

M&LS wrote:Great photo op!
But please don't go climbing around on the locos or trespassing we don't want ADBF get pissed at us.
They're being watched

mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

Just want to say thanks for the updates everybody.I'm glad to see they r doing good I live in Jackson and have railfaned this line for a quite a few years now at one time time about five years ago ns would leave on a Sunday from Jackson with 100 cars and I have videos of this sometimes they would have 60 cars and just two gp 38s and if u went to Leslie u could hear them comin from a long ways a way up the grade I heard from a guy at ns they would stall there sometimes I have a video of go 5568 and 5578 notched out with four stack exhaust on both locos going crossed lansing ave in Jackson they were very loud.

mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

Best sound I have ever heard in my life