Geneva/St. Charles

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Geneva/St. Charles

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I'm gonna be in the area of Galena/St. Charles on June 13-14th and I was curious as to what kind of action and how much could be expected. I've never been there before. I see Metra has a station in Galena and the main is the UP, Ex. C&NW Galena sub.
Last edited by MQT1223 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Galena/St. Charles

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:I'm gonna be in the area of Galena/St. Charles on June 13-14th and I was curious as to what kind of action and how much could be expected. I've never been there before. I see Metra has a station in Galena and the main is the UP, Ex. C&NW Galena sub.
Do you perhaps mean Geneva? CNW hasn't gone to Galena (NW Illinois) since probably the 70's or 80's. The station at Galena is IC, but the CNW may have used it as their tracks were immediately west of the still in place IC.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Galena/St. Charles

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I'm gonna be in the area of Galena/St. Charles on June 13-14th and I was curious as to what kind of action and how much could be expected. I've never been there before. I see Metra has a station in Galena and the main is the UP, Ex. C&NW Galena sub.
Do you perhaps mean Geneva? CNW hasn't gone to Galena (NW Illinois) since probably the 70's or 80's. The station at Galena is IC, but the CNW may have used it as their tracks were immediately west of the still in place IC.
Oops... ya that is what I mean't...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Geneva/St. Charles

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

That's the UP line that goes to Rochelle. Metra only goes out to Elburn (western terminal) but you'll be between the West Chicago yard and the G3? yard at Rochelle, plus all the stuff that goes through in each direction. I recall driving down to St. Charles fairly frequently back in the day (I worked about 45 minutes north of there back when the recession hit the Chicago area at the end of 2008), but I don't recall 'fanning in Geneva, and don't have anywhere to recommend.
~ Charles W.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Go to west chicago
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

StupidFlee​t wrote:Go to west chicago
I'm only gonna be able to use what's at hand. I'm going down and then back the next day for the railroad antique show.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
That's the UP line that goes to Rochelle. Metra only goes out to Elburn (western terminal) but you'll be between the West Chicago yard and the G3? yard at Rochelle, plus all the stuff that goes through in each direction. I recall driving down to St. Charles fairly frequently back in the day (I worked about 45 minutes north of there back when the recession hit the Chicago area at the end of 2008), but I don't recall 'fanning in Geneva, and don't have anywhere to recommend.
Ya I noticed there is a Metra station in Geneva. Tracks in St. Charles only serve a few industries. Thats a former Chicago Great Western branchline. I hear that Rochelle is overrated, would that apply to the amount of traffic on this line?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Rochelle is overrated, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to see. The BNSF line, being single track on both sides of the junction area in Rochelle is the slower of the two lines, leaving the one you'll be near as the busier of the two. There aren't any major yards between where you'll be and Rochelle, so you should be able to see something, depending on how long you're able to stick around. Stick around long enough and you should catch several somethings.

I thought the ex-CGW came out a year or two back, including the bridge over the river in St. Charles.

If you're going to be there on a weekend, I'd suggest the show in Wheaton, but I think they take June off and it might be the third weekend of the month, not the second. :(
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Rochelle is overrated, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to see. The BNSF line, being single track on both sides of the junction area in Rochelle is the slower of the two lines, leaving the one you'll be near as the busier of the two. There aren't any major yards between where you'll be and Rochelle, so you should be able to see something, depending on how long you're able to stick around. Stick around long enough and you should catch several somethings.

I thought the ex-CGW came out a year or two back, including the bridge over the river in St. Charles.

If you're going to be there on a weekend, I'd suggest the show in Wheaton, but I think they take June off and it might be the third weekend of the month, not the second. :(
Well I guess it depends on how old the Google Map images are, that has to be considered. At a certain point on the Northwest side of town the tracks end and The Great Western Trail starts on the ROW. Yeah this year we chose St. Charles railroadiana show because my dad lived there briefly years ago and it sounds like a huge show. We will definitely be considering future shows, but were only getting our feet wet this year. What's Metra like down there? I've only seen a Metra commuter train once in my life and that was last year in Woodstock, Illinois. Would I literally have to walk in the station to figure out when Metra is on its way? UP I have no clue...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

MQT1223 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Rochelle is overrated, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to see. The BNSF line, being single track on both sides of the junction area in Rochelle is the slower of the two lines, leaving the one you'll be near as the busier of the two. There aren't any major yards between where you'll be and Rochelle, so you should be able to see something, depending on how long you're able to stick around. Stick around long enough and you should catch several somethings.

Well I guess it depends on how old the Google Map images are, that has to be considered. At a certain point on the Northwest side of town the tracks end and The Great Western Trail starts on the ROW. Yeah this year we chose St. Charles railroadiana show because my dad lived there briefly years ago and it sounds like a huge show. We will definitely be considering future shows, but were only getting our feet wet this year. What's Metra like down there? I've only seen a Metra commuter train once in my life and that was last year in Woodstock, Illinois. Would I literally have to walk in the station to figure out when Metra is on its way? UP I have no clue...
I believe most stations have talking monitor boards that keep tabs on when the next train is. Keeps track of delays etc... or you could consut the timetable as ypsi has suggested
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut