Old Santa Fe Galesburg to Chicago

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Old Santa Fe Galesburg to Chicago

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What is the traffic like on the old ATSF east of the junction with the BN in Galesburg like? How many, and when?

Also how many west of there?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Old Santa Fe Galesburg to Chicago

Unread post by AARR »

There was something in Trains Mag recently about the two BNSF lines between Galesburg and Chicago. Don't recall the numbers but I'm sure they're both busier than anything in MI.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

MQT3001 wrote:What is the traffic like on the old ATSF east of the junction with the BN in Galesburg like? How many, and when?

Lots. Like 70 a day (both east and west of Galesburg). You'll have Amtrak west of Galesburg on the Santa Fe side. Just go there and you'll see trains.

Happy 1000 posts for moi.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

cbehr91 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:What is the traffic like on the old ATSF east of the junction with the BN in Galesburg like? How many, and when?

Lots. Like 70 a day (both east and west of Galesburg). You'll have Amtrak west of Galesburg on the Santa Fe side. Just go there and you'll see trains.

Happy 1000 posts for moi.

Galesburg is glorious. Be sure to check out the connections just east of Cameron that link the BN and SF.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Just go to Cameron.
Bottom text.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

I live five miles from the ATSF, and go trackside to Edelstein, Illinois where I can also keep track of Union Pacific movements on the former C&NW St. Louis line (with which there is a connection with the ATSF line at Edelstein). The present-day BNSF Transcon can be incredibly busy for 1.5-2 hours (train every 15 minutes in both directions) then there is a lull for an hour or so. Most traffic is intermodal, and Union Pacific runs a fair number of trains on this line with its own crews. CSXT and NS pool power is common on some of the BNSF trains.

Other traffic includes automotive trains (BNSF and UP), manifests (most between Galesburg and Chicago-area connections such as CN, CSXT, IHB, BRC, etc.), the Streator connection run-throughs with NS (Elkhart, Ind. to Argentine, Kan. [M-NSIKCK] and Galesburg, Ill to Conway, Pa. [H-GALCWY]), occasional grain trains loaded at Ruff (near Toluca), Ransom and on the NS at Dwight (Consolidated Grain & Barge) and baretable trains. Locals run from Galesburg to Hodgkins (or Streator on Saturday?) and back in the afternoon. I've heard reports that BNSF has run some coal trains on this route as well, but haven't seen any.

I believe the recent TRAINS Map of the Month feature noted 59 trains a day east of Galesburg and 69 west, but this can vary by day of the week and time of year.

w neal
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by w neal »

Saw an empty coal (hopper) train westbound in Peck Park (Galesburg) during railroad days on the transcon - amazing.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

w neal wrote:Saw an empty coal (hopper) train westbound in Peck Park (Galesburg) during railroad days on the transcon - amazing.
On the former BN or Santa Fe? On that BN that's not really a noteworthy move...

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

cbehr91 wrote:
w neal wrote:Saw an empty coal (hopper) train westbound in Peck Park (Galesburg) during railroad days on the transcon - amazing.
On the former BN or Santa Fe? On that BN that's not really a noteworthy move...

He said the transcon
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken