Amtrak Town Hall Meeting

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Amtrak Town Hall Meeting

Unread post by railohio »

Trains magazine is sponsoring a town hall meeting in March in Chicago with Amtrak's CEO Joe Boardman and board Chairman Tom Carper. It looks like it'll be geared towards the railfan's interests covering photography, equipment, and long-distance trains. And best of all there's a discount code for Amtrak travel to Chicago that weekend!
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Town Hall Meeting

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Illinois Senator Meets With Canadian National CEO http://www.masstransitmag.com/online/ar ... 3&id=10635
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

railohio

That's really not related...

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I'll be at this meeting. Anyone else here going?

railohio

*raises hand*

railohio

Amtrak held a town hall meeting in Chicago on March 6 in conjunction with Trains Magazine. Topics discussed included Amtrak's photography policy, upcoming equipment acquisitions, and the future of long-distance trains. To summarize the photo policy, photography at Amtrak-owned stations on limited access platforms (those that are staffed or in large cities) will be limited to ticket-holding passengers who are boarding or de-training. The photo policy does not apply at stations not owned by Amtrak (which make up two-thirds of the stations they use). Amtrak is also working on a railfan registration program similar to that developed by BNSF Railway. For upcoming equipment purchased, the immediate future holds twenty to sixty electric locomotives for use in the Northeast and up to 170 additional Viewliner-design cars to replace the remaining Heritage equipment and expand the single-level sleeping car fleet. Beyond that replacing the Amfleet I cars in the Northeast and acquiring bi-level corridor cars for the Midwest are also near-term possibilities. There is a 40 year plan to replace the entire current Amtrak fleet. Finally, the future of the long-distance trains is secure. Amtrak is undertaking a long-range plan to improve on-board service and reliability. Copies of many of these documents are available on Amtrak's web site. After the meeting was over guests were left to tour a display train at Chicago Union Station made up of three rebuilt Superliners and the first GE P40 diesel rebuilt with stimulus funds.

Trains Magazine editor and North Carolina native Jim Wrinn goes over notes with an Amtrak staffer.

Emmett Fremaux, Vice President, Marketing and Product Development, shows off new advertising for various Amtrak route brands.

Trains Magazine publisher Kevin Keefe looks on at Amtrak's first rebuilt P40 with a Beech Grove shop employee.

President Boardman's car, Amtrak 10001, Beech Grove, brings up on the markers on Saturday's edition of train 48/448, the eastbound Lake Shore Limited at Chicago Union Station.

More photos are available on flickr.

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by signmasters »

Very nice report and photos thank you.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Funny how nice and CLEAN their equipment is. Walk down to your local Amtrak station and see how shiny Your train is. LoL.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 18&nseq=37
Mark it Zero.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

i concur on the above posts. Brian did you get to talk to anyone who put this together.
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JUST AARON wrote:Funny how nice and CLEAN their equipment is. Walk down to your local Amtrak station and see how shiny Your train is. LoL.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 18&nseq=37
Its a PR thing, so of course you are going to put your best foot forward. No different then your local town sprucing things up when the President comes through. No different then the IC painting the trackside face of the depot, while letting the backside go to shambles for the Railroad's OCS.

Practice Safe CSX

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Thank you for the report. Glad to hear Amtrak's responses on all three topics you mentioned.

As for the equipment, of course it's shiny, it's fresh out of the shop! As for Amtrak trains which don't seem clean, it's funny to me how the long distance trains get a trip to the wash rack after every run, but it seems like corridor equipment can go for weeks and never be cleaned on the outside. But washing the train doesn't pay the bills. And I wonder if the NPCU F40 cabs are never very clean because they are always cut off before the cars go through the wash track....because they're unpowered? Anyhow, thanks for the update.