CN (ex-EJE) Signal Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
beachbum
Railroadfan...fan

CN (ex-EJE) Signal Question

Unread post by beachbum »

At the north end of Normantown Siding on the Leithton Sub there are two masts with heads facing south. Each mast has a 3-light signal on top, a 1-light signal in the middle, and a 2-light signal on the bottom.

Since this is just where the siding rejoins the main, why so many heads on the signals? Any idea what the middle single-light might be for? It's always been red or dark when I've been there. I could understand a couple heads for southbounds for indications like diverging clear, but the NB signals make no sense to me.

Thanks!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: CN (ex-EJE) Signal Question

Unread post by CSX_CO »

beachbum wrote:At the north end of Normantown Siding on the Leithton Sub there are two masts with heads facing south. Each mast has a 3-light signal on top, a 1-light signal in the middle, and a 2-light signal on the bottom.

Since this is just where the siding rejoins the main, why so many heads on the signals? Any idea what the middle single-light might be for? It's always been red or dark when I've been there. I could understand a couple heads for southbounds for indications like diverging clear, but the NB signals make no sense to me.

Thanks!
More than likely the middle head just serves as a "marker" for the lights needed at the bottom for the signal to display the indications necessary.

Practice Safe Csx

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN (ex-EJE) Signal Question

Unread post by Bulby »

beachbum wrote:At the north end of Normantown Siding on the Leithton Sub there are two masts with heads facing south. Each mast has a 3-light signal on top, a 1-light signal in the middle, and a 2-light signal on the bottom.

Thanks!
Not sure about EJ&E/CN signal systems, but the middle single light could be used to change the indication of APPROACH to RESTRICTING. Usually though, it would be colored lunar if that's what it means. It is an on/off indication, on meaning restricting, off meaning approach. Then again, the EJ&E/CN could do it differently. However, that would be my first guess.
Apparently I work on GEs now...