Jeffersonville, IN/ Louisville, KY Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Jeffersonville, IN/ Louisville, KY Question

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Had the opportunity to pass through Louisville twice in the last couple weeks, in the daylight, and noticed an unusual bridge over the big river through there. The bridge looks like a railroad bridge, based on its design and spans the width of the river, but has no approaches whatsoever that I could see on either side of the river! Keeping in mind that the bridge is tall enough to not be a barrier to navigation, it seemed rather odd to see no sign of any approaches on either side.

I'm curious if anyone knows the story of this bridge or has an idea as to where I could look for the story.

Thanks in advance.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Hello charles w i know it was a pennsylvania railroad bridge, and conrail abadoned it in faver of the K & IT bridge, west of that bridge in the early 1980's, K & IT stands for kentucky and indiana terminal railroad a terminal railroad serving that area and is owned by NS. that railroad was fully dissolved into NS and you won't see there power anymore. it was wholly owned by the southern railroad back in the day. i hope this helps you.
Last edited by penn central on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

the bridge is the old NYC (big four) and the B&O had trackage rights, the NYC came south from greensburg ind., it still stands partly to cost of tearing it down, and it looks cool in the christmas season all lite up. pennsy had a seperate bridge between the K&I and the NYC bridge, it is controled by the tower at CP CLAGG, which raises and lowers the bridge..

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

thomas wrote:the bridge is the old NYC (big four) and the B&O had trackage rights, the NYC came south from greensburg ind., it still stands partly to cost of tearing it down, and it looks cool in the christmas season all lite up. pennsy had a seperate bridge between the K&I and the NYC bridge, it is controled by the tower at CP CLAGG, which raises and lowers the bridge..
your right i stand corrected, i just got my history books out and took a look thank you.