Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread post by Jochs »

A driver northbound on S.R. 15 in Warsaw lost control of his car and struck a parked train.
http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/27/a ... orts-2163/
The story says the car struck a boxcar, but a photo I saw showed what looked like a hopper.
This report says he drove home.
https://www.newsnowwarsaw.com/warsaw-in ... Gy1QkieGsI
Based on a photo by a witness, I doubt the guy drove home in this.
warsawcarwrek.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread post by DaveO »

That is one of the worst news articles I have ever read, starting with the headline...
"Warsaw injured after hitting parked train on Old 15"
The whole town was injured?

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

DaveO wrote:That is one of the worst news articles I have ever read, starting with the headline...
"Warsaw injured after hitting parked train on Old 15"
The whole town was injured?
I know. And the photo doesn't really look like the car was able to be driven away, and that doesn't really look like a boxcar in the photo, either.
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Everything about this situation and article makes me question what's in the water down there :lol: :roll:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Saturnalia wrote:Everything about this situation and article makes me question what's in the water down there :lol: :roll:
Leesburg ... on OLD SR 15 between CP 19 and CP 21. If he "drove home" that photo must have been taken by someone who didn't stop to help. More likely he WALKED home (his address is given as old SR 15). And it wasn't a good weekend for the driver ... on Sunday he hit a parked train. On Thursday he was arrested for domestic battery and posted a $1000 bond.

$25k-$50k damage to the train?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/

Accuracy free news.... The train struck the car or the car struck the train.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I'm beginning to wonder if two incidents occurred, this one and one where a guy hit a boxcar and drove off.
Jeff O.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Standard Railfan wrote:I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.
See http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/ linked by PatAzo

Both sides of the car are shown. The driver's side has the outside of the door missing. The passenger side looks fairly good. From the passenger side one can see markers in the background for buried fiber. The car didn't disturb them, so either the car was on the rails when it passed the markers or the impact happened north of the markers. I don't see disturbance in the ballast,and the other three tires on the car seem to have survived.

The time of the incidents match but the descriptions do not. The more I read the less I know. :shock:

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

justalurker66 wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.
See http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/ linked by PatAzo

Both sides of the car are shown. The driver's side has the outside of the door missing. The passenger side looks fairly good. From the passenger side one can see markers in the background for buried fiber. The car didn't disturb them, so either the car was on the rails when it passed the markers or the impact happened north of the markers. I don't see disturbance in the ballast,and the other three tires on the car seem to have survived.

The time of the incidents match but the descriptions do not. The more I read the less I know. :shock:
I have the feeling that there are no photos of the incident, and that the guy did drive the car away, then reported the accident later.
Jeff O.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

The media have been known to use "file photos" for stories.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Haha "Norfolk & Southern"