Quick Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Railfanjunction
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Quick Questions

Unread post by Railfanjunction »

Ok this has turned into a "general Indiana Railfanning Info" thread more than a few quick questions, but how many trains on average use the CN Matteson Subdivision during the morning hours? Debating on whether or not to go there or up to the Garrett sub before trying to catch 851.

Zach
Youtube: Railfanjunction (https://www.youtube.com/user/RailfanJunction)

An invasive Californian who is somehow still living in Michigan despite never having experienced snow or subzero temperatures before last year.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

CN Police have been professional and friendly. Only time I really had a negative experience was with a CSX guy (don't know his position, but was not a cop, but definitely an employee, maybe train master?) in Walbridge. I was still a little kid but from what my father told me he was very hostile and mean. But I'm sure there's good and bad to be said about any cop.

Old Suman Road in the outskirts of Valparaiso was beautiful. Defect Detector to the east, and gave lots of information. Bugs were bad. Bring a deet-based spray on and you're fine. Action was very good when I was there. Beat Chesterton, though that probably isn't typical. Due to many junctions + maybe good luck, CSX in my experience is more likely to have a more general spread of trains which is good for railfan in for the long haul. Plus, CSX EB's battle the grade at Suman - many CSX trains are quite long on that line, so you can get a good mix of EB struggling loud coal trains, and WB 60 mph trains.

Chesterton is your safe bet for good action if CSX falls too dead. A little too cliche to be my favorite spot, but I know Otis Hill is scenic..it's just 6 miles to the east.

Alex's experience at Hick was likewise to mine. I was treated like a criminal by them. I didn't leave though. I don't go out west that much, so I'm not gonna let a property dispute repel me. If you ever get into a situation where you know you're right in terms of the law, by all means be firm and call the real cops to let them handle it. Being hostile back will only add to the general citizens somewhat negative view of us foamers.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

This video was taken by me at Old Suman Road, to give you an idea of the area. Especially would look good in the fall.
https://youtu.be/XujjVRTWX_4

Railfanjunction
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Railfanjunction »

Tier4GEVO wrote:CN Police have been professional and friendly. Only time I really had a negative experience was with a CSX guy (don't know his position, but was not a cop, but definitely an employee, maybe train master?) in Walbridge. I was still a little kid but from what my father told me he was very hostile and mean. But I'm sure there's good and bad to be said about any cop.

Old Suman Road in the outskirts of Valparaiso was beautiful. Defect Detector to the east, and gave lots of information. Bugs were bad. Bring a deet-based spray on and you're fine. Action was very good when I was there. Beat Chesterton, though that probably isn't typical. Due to many junctions + maybe good luck, CSX in my experience is more likely to have a more general spread of trains which is good for railfan in for the long haul. Plus, CSX EB's battle the grade at Suman - many CSX trains are quite long on that line, so you can get a good mix of EB struggling loud coal trains, and WB 60 mph trains.

Chesterton is your safe bet for good action if CSX falls too dead. A little too cliche to be my favorite spot, but I know Otis Hill is scenic..it's just 6 miles to the east.

Alex's experience at Hick was likewise to mine. I was treated like a criminal by them. I didn't leave though. I don't go out west that much, so I'm not gonna let a property dispute repel me. If you ever get into a situation where you know you're right in terms of the law, by all means be firm and call the real cops to let them handle it. Being hostile back will only add to the general citizens somewhat negative view of us foamers.
That seems parallel to my own experience on the line; while waiting at Otis for an eastbound NS about 5 passed on the CSX main, so I think the running west of Valpo's a good start for the morning since unfortunately ATCS doesn't cover CSX line past Gary for some reason. It seems like NS tends to hold off their morning intermodals until after the Lakeshore and Cap have gone through.

Zach
Youtube: Railfanjunction (https://www.youtube.com/user/RailfanJunction)

An invasive Californian who is somehow still living in Michigan despite never having experienced snow or subzero temperatures before last year.

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

Railfanjunction wrote:4) Has anyone had issues with CN police in Griffith?
I had no issue with CN as I stayed on the sidewalk and parked in the RR park lot, as suggested by trainjunkie47. I did have some near misses with cyclists, as the EL Trail uses Broad Street to get through the crossing.