NS Goshen

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

NS Goshen

Unread post by Plannerdad »

I am taking a trip to central IN later this summer and was thinking of following the NS line south from Goshen. Does anyone know what kind of traffic activity is on that line? Thank you in advance.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Goshen

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The line south is the Marion Branch and it sees a fair amount of trains. Many branch off in Claypool to go to Fort Wayne and beyond. A couple branch off in Huntington to go to Peru and Illinois. A couple continue south to Marion and Anderson. The north end would have the most traffic.

There are sections through Goshen south to Warsaw where the line parallels roads if you like to chase or stake out trains. Warsaw features a brief section of street running. South of Warsaw the line is further from the road.

Look for posts on the Marion Line in the forum ... or wait and I am sure a more verbose expert will chime in.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you! Looked like some of the state roads run close to the track.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

I know there is another thread for the Marion Branch, but I started this one. We followed this branch from Goshen to Wabash last Thursday. In two hours around noon we saw one NB and two SB's. One headed east at Claypool, plus one SB stopped on a siding just south of Claypool, so I assumed there was another headed north. On the E/W line at Claypool, a WB was stopped on a siding, likely waiting for an EB. The street running was impressive at Warsaw, very close to houses, businesses, parked cars and Big Wheels on the sidewalk, and they were not moving slow!

Overall, more trains on this line than the Big-4 between Anderson, IN and Sidney, OH; but CSX was doing a lot of track work. Thanks for the information on the Marion Branch.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Thank you for reporting back. It is nice to see you had a good day.