Amtrak on South Shore?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak on South Shore?

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Delay notice from NICTD: "WB Train 18 is running 15-20 minutes late due to detouring Amtrak train."

Sounds like an Amtrak ran on the South Shore. Any confirmation?

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak on South Shore?

Unread post by nictd1000 »

Amtrak 352 ran from Kensington to Ogden Dunes via the CSS. NS had a work outage somewhere

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting. I'd expect the outage to include Ogden Dunes (CP 487 is under reconstruction). NS must have been working on the new CP 490 or someplace west. (At this hour it looks like there is a work zone near CP 497.)

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I read online it was for bridge removal around Burns Harbor.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

There was NS personnel working at 487 however I'm not sure they were doing anything that would tie up both mains. I also heard about the "bridge removal" but I can't think of anything other than a signal bridge that could be the reason. Perhaps the signal bridges at CP 501 were removed, not sure.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:I read online it was for bridge removal around Burns Harbor.
Burns Harbor is east of Ogden Dunes ... the reported detour was Kensington to Ogden Dunes so the train would have still passed Burns Harbor on NS rails.

nictd1000 wrote:There was NS personnel working at 487 however I'm not sure they were doing anything that would tie up both mains. I also heard about the "bridge removal" but I can't think of anything other than a signal bridge that could be the reason. Perhaps the signal bridges at CP 501 were removed, not sure.
I have not been that far west in a while but it seemed the NS crews (and Interrail doing the signal and switch heater work) were working between trains and still getting a lot done. A signal bridge shouldn't require a long complete shutdown. The bridges were put up at 502 and east to 506 without reroutes.

A signal bridge removal would be welcome and important news. NS (Interrail) has put up a lot of signals from Ohio to Illinois along the Chicago Line but other than in Elkhart where a siding became a nice third track and Hammond-Whiting where CP 506 and 507 were redone with a third track extension the new signals are still waiting activation.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

IIRC there was a bridge to come down around 501 in Gary...an old railroad overpass that hadn't been used in years. I can picture it, but can't name it or give an exact location without looking at a map...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Saturnalia wrote:IIRC there was a bridge to come down around 501 in Gary...an old railroad overpass that hadn't been used in years. I can picture it, but can't name it or give an exact location without looking at a map...
Gary and Western had an over pass across the NYC, B&O, and I 90. I 90 bridge came out 10 or 15 years ago.

Proponents always touted the G&W as a good by pass route to avoid trains tying up crossings in Hammond, Whiting, and E Chicago. Apparently the NIMBies failed to notice the bridge missing over I90...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Yep, around MP 495 it is...err, was....

Friend of mine gotta few phone photos of 352 under the wires...maybe he will share them

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:Yep, around MP 495 it is...err, was....
I have notes that say the bridge near MP 495 came down September 7th, 2015.

Buster Manning wrote:Friend of mine gotta few phone photos of 352 under the wires...maybe he will share them
I hope he will share.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The old bridge that I am thinking they may have finally removed was out in the Dunes area about two miles east or so of where we got onto the NYC. Usually had a twelve point buck patrolling that area. The bridge had been jacked up over time and steel blocks placed under the bridge pier support areas to get it higher over the rail. I always assumed it was the IHB line out to Burns Harbor and after awhile they got trackage rights to run on the NYC line with their bottle trains and steel movements.
I am also thinking the CSSB crossover to the NYC line is up at Burns Harbor yard area east of The Ditch. Its been years since I was on a freight out that way...its sorta cloudy...sorta cloudy...and nope it just faded out. darn memory anyway. 8-)
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Former IHB Dune Park branch.

http://binged.it/1MUBjtm

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

I can rule out the CSS mainline bridge at Burns Harbor, the outage was CP 487 and to the West. We have no bridge work going on at the moment.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Typhoon wrote:Former IHB Dune Park branch.
That was the bridge removed in September. And as Ryan noted, it is on the wrong side of the closure.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

justalurker66 wrote:I have notes that say the bridge near MP 495 came down September 7th, 2015.
Where did you get your notes?? I'm here to tell you they are not correct: that bridge was still there as of early Dec (when I made my last run out of the BTL crewbase)....I'll find out tomorrow if this bridge was the cause for the detour as I will see the engineer who was on 352 that day.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

So after AMTK moves onto the CSS at CP 487, where/how do they get to Union?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

justalurker66 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Former IHB Dune Park branch.
That was the bridge removed in September. And as Ryan noted, it is on the wrong side of the closure.
No it is not. The closure was between Ogden Dunes and Curtis. You know, right where the Dune Park branch bridge was before today.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

352 detoured over the Airline, down the IC to Kensington, CSS to the "Midwest Switch" connection at CP 487.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:I have notes that say the bridge near MP 495 came down September 7th, 2015.
Where did you get your notes?? I'm here to tell you they are not correct: that bridge was still there as of early Dec (when I made my last run out of the BTL crewbase)....I'll find out tomorrow if this bridge was the cause for the detour as I will see the engineer who was on 352 that day.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29869&p=340533&hil ... ge#p340533

Perhaps the removal was delayed.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Doesn't appear anybody has video yet. Not a big deal but I always look for something like that.