NS Derailment in Butler

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MDH
rp.net addict

NS Derailment in Butler

Unread post by MDH »

As posted by "Toledopatch" on TO:

NS #206 derailed at about 0400 this morning near Butler, Ind., either at or west of the diamond. Don't have any information about extent or injuries. Amtrak #29 and #49 are both showing Service Disruption, and reportedly may detour via Michigan. Freight detours also being set up. This will also affect CP's trackage-rights trains between Detroit and Chicago.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2128416
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Re: NS Derailment in Butler

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... f=2&t=1673

The above link has pictures. The derailment was west of town at CP 360.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

EDIT: Greg beat me to it...
Derailment is just west of the overpass at 360. Pics over on the Fort Wayne railfan site...

Looks like only 1 well car is hanging over Track 1 so it probably won't be long until they have at least 1 track open.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

cnw8835 wrote:EDIT: Greg beat me to it...
Derailment is just west of the overpass at 360. Pics over on the Fort Wayne railfan site...

Looks like only 1 well car is hanging over Track 1 so it probably won't be long until they have at least 1 track open.
Wow - both you guys beat me to it! Well, I'm guessing minimal detours by the looks of it - should have one track back in service by later today I'd think...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

I got a call - the Amtraks are not in Toledo (as of 10AM or so) but I don't know yet where they are. Also, the head end of 206 is in Toledo now - not sure what the plans are there. They're tieing down some Elkhart bound manifests in town but probably just to wait it out. Good guess is they'll get track one open soon and start fleeting through the intermodals first...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Further update: Just back from a boring lunch w/practically no moving trains. Toledo yard and Toledo East both made reference (separately) to things getting busy soon and 23K rolled up to 285 on track 1 while 15Q was (I think) putting their train back together in the siding at 285. The impression I got was that things are moving again and it was really going to pick up soon. Per Patch on TO there are also reports that the eastbound mail trains are getting by the site which seems to confirm what I was hearing while out. Sounds like Amtrak's turning south at Butler but not sure if they will or exactly which way they'll go (NKP or B&O).

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Detours went Ft Wayne Chicago district

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

esprrfan wrote:Detours went Ft Wayne Chicago district
You ain't kidding, either. We got tanked at Sand in Ft. Wayne coming home from Chicago. Chicago Dispatcher had atleast one train come east on the Chicago District onto CF&E at Sand, then south onto the New Castle District at Junction and then back onto the Huntington District at Hugo to clear up for a northbound headed for the Chicago District. That's normal practice except the backing onto the Huntington District part. We sat at Sand while all of that happened and then the westbound changed crews at Thomas Rd in front of us and then finally headed onto the Chicago District. Heard a 90K rail train out there. Can't imagine where that was heading... :P

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:
Heard a 90K rail train out there. Can't imagine where that was heading... :P
If it was panel track, then it was probably headed to Bulter. If it was regular welded rail train, it was probably headed elsewhere. It would take too long to lay welded rail (let alone how do you drop it and get it into place when the track you are replacing is gone?), let alone dropping all the ties, tie plates, spikes, etc. Easier to bring in the dozers, shove the bad track to the ditch, and start dropping panels. Bolt them together, a little profiling with your tamper and regulator, and you are back in business with a slow order. Later, MOW comes back to weld the joints and shore it up more.

I'm sure NS has panels stationed in Toledo or Elkhart (or both) for quick dispatchment. We've got 8 to 10 cars of panel track, with probably 5 panels on each car) in Avon yard, ready to head whereever they are needed. Also have a couple car emergency ballast train that goes with it, ready as soon as a crew is. I know they had the same type of train stationed in Willard to handle derailments on the B&O.

Practice Safe CSX

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

CSX_CO wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:
Heard a 90K rail train out there. Can't imagine where that was heading... :P
If it was panel track, then it was probably headed to Bulter. If it was regular welded rail train, it was probably headed elsewhere. It would take too long to lay welded rail (let alone how do you drop it and get it into place when the track you are replacing is gone?), let alone dropping all the ties, tie plates, spikes, etc. Easier to bring in the dozers, shove the bad track to the ditch, and start dropping panels. Bolt them together, a little profiling with your tamper and regulator, and you are back in business with a slow order. Later, MOW comes back to weld the joints and shore it up more.

I'm sure NS has panels stationed in Toledo or Elkhart (or both) for quick dispatchment. We've got 8 to 10 cars of panel track, with probably 5 panels on each car) in Avon yard, ready to head whereever they are needed. Also have a couple car emergency ballast train that goes with it, ready as soon as a crew is. I know they had the same type of train stationed in Willard to handle derailments on the B&O.

Practice Safe CSX
It might have been going there to drop rail after the panels were down - per the thread on TO it sounds like a track gang is headed over there from near Conway to make permanent repairs starting Monday - talk about not screwing around on getting it fixed! Plus someone reported both mains now open w/speed restrictions and a rail train in the area today...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MDH wrote:It might have been going there to drop rail after the panels were down - per the thread on TO it sounds like a track gang is headed over there from near Conway to make permanent repairs starting Monday - talk about not screwing around on getting it fixed! Plus someone reported both mains now open w/speed restrictions and a rail train in the area today...
For the most part, the panels are build to the same standards as the mainlines as far as tie spacing and rail size. That's so there is no need to later come back and lay 1 or 2 peices of welded rail (which isn't cheap) and the associated gang that it takes to place it. A couple of welders and a full day of track and time can weld all the joints and have the track back up to speed in no time.

When CSX had their roll out at Avon in the early part of 2008, they laid panel track and came back and welded the joints. There was a 25 mph slow order until all the surfacing and welding was done, but no need to divert a system gang to relay rail on a small section of track because of a derailment. Welding and surfacing can be done by your local section gangs.

Practice Safe CSX

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I have my photos up on flickr already: http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/tags/feb19/
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railohio wrote:I have my photos up on flickr already: http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/tags/feb19/
Nice shots! And good catch with the CN/IC power on NS 358. I was thinking of taking today off and heading over there but it just didn't work out with work.

To CSX_CO's comments - what you're saying makes sense to me - I was just relaying what had been posted over on TO. Whether that's right, wrong or whatever I don't know but one of the posters claimed to be a member of the track gang involved and someone else said they saw the rail train (although that could well have just been in transit to somewhere else).

MIchael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

New ribbon rail is laying between the mains this am. Also interesting is that this am the Butler FD was out there putting out a fire in one of the JB hunt containers, rolls of OC fiberglass insulation. The cars are now away from the #2 main and the containers (undamaged) are being trucked out and at about 3pm 99% were gone.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Any Amtrak reroute's through Michigan again?

The only Amtrak trains I've been seeing at work near the tracks are is the usual Wolverine's.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

j32885 wrote:Any Amtrak reroute's through Michigan again?

The only Amtrak trains I've been seeing at work near the tracks are is the usual Wolverine's.
No. Amtrak went Butler, Ft. Wayne, Chicago.