Griffith Connection Project begins

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Griffith Connection Project begins

Unread post by redside20 »

Per Bill Molony, EJE Yahoo Group. work has begin on installation of the Northeast wye for westbound CN trains off the South Bend sub going to Kirk Yard in Griffith Indiana. Which westbounds would be affected? i'm thinking 393, 491 and 395, and maybe 397?
Exit stage left

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Griffith Connection Project begins

Unread post by thomas »

yeah i would say 490/491 for sure, the 394/395 currently work that old GM&O yard by I-55 and CENTRAL st in the town of swickly... i think 397 goes to champaign ill. and 393 might go to the UP at chicago hieghts ill.
at least they did a year or so ago....

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

thomas wrote:yeah i would say 490/491 for sure, the 394/395 currently work that old GM&O yard by I-55 and CENTRAL st in the town of swickly... i think 397 goes to champaign ill. and 393 might go to the UP at chicago hieghts ill.
The old GM&O yard is Glenn Yard correct?
Exit stage left

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

redside20 wrote:
thomas wrote:yeah i would say 490/491 for sure, the 394/395 currently work that old GM&O yard by I-55 and CENTRAL st in the town of swickly... i think 397 goes to champaign ill. and 393 might go to the UP at chicago hieghts ill.
The old GM&O yard is Glenn Yard correct?
Correct, and it is located in STICKNEY.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

393, or any CN road trains for that matter, don't use the UP/EJ&E connection at Chicago Heights except for the empty multi-level trains from UP to CN (E280). Locals use the connection as well. There are UP/CN interchange trains (they may have used the connection in the past, but it was longer than a year ago), that use the connection between the two railroads in Kinmundy, IL, 10 miles north of Salem, IL. I think those are M398/M399 on CN, or used to be...but don't quote me.

Word has it that CN also used M371 and A491 (not at the same time) as their interchange trains to UP in past months. A491 has been getting on UP at Thornton Jct (directly south of Yard Center), and going north, then taking the corner at Dolton Jct. (directly north of Yard Center) onto IHB and immediately onto Highlawn connector (directly west of Dolton Jct.) and then going south into Markham Yard. A491 may still be the UP interchange train, I'm not sure..nobody seems to know.

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

thanks for the info ,, i coundn't think for my life the name of glenn yard yeah i guess it ha been more than a year on my info ...thanks again

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

CN is also going to be extending the siding at Frankfort and replacing the spring switch at Matteson with a power switch. It is unknown when they will start double tracking the line from Joliet to Matteson.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway