South Shore BNSF Coal Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

South Shore BNSF Coal Trains

Unread post by tsinoms »

Happened to be down in Indiana this past weekend and had a loaded and empty coal with BNSF cars roll past. Loaded was Saturday and empties were Sunday night. Any idea what he symbol is for those off the BNSF and how often they are getting them? Also where are these interchanged at?
I know they were getting ones from UP and CSX but never seen these. TIA!
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Re: South Shore BNSF Coal Trains

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

On BNSF they run as U-SWECKB from CPKC at Sweetgrass Montana. I believe they originate in British Columbia and they use BNSF to haul them to I believe the BRC where CSS picks them up and takes them to Burns Harbor
Resident GE foamer :lol:
19 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.
https://youtube.com/@ACCWMetal?si=KhXh5f-cdvICYx--

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: South Shore BNSF Coal Trains

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSXT9040 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:46 pm
On BNSF they run as U-SWECKB from CPKC at Sweetgrass Montana. I believe they originate in British Columbia and they use BNSF to haul them to I believe the BRC where CSS picks them up and takes them to Burns Harbor
Correct, they come off the Belt. This is metallurgical coal that is converted to Coke. 2-3 trains a month maybe? These are unique to the CSX metallurgical coal trains and UP steam coal trains in that CSS provides their own power rather than using run-through equipment. If you wanna find a nifty lashup of EMD 645s on a loaded coal train, these are for you.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow