Tontogany, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Tontogany, OH

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

So I have been in Deshler amd seen the diamond running north heading towards Tontogany and I know there is sidings even north of Deshler how many trains could go through there at most I know there is M209, M510, and M5111 through there but I think theres also 2 coal trains that run Tue-Sat but how many trains at most could go through in 24 hours?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Tontogany, OH

Unread post by ~Z~ »

You can look at this train log that shows every train that has passed Deshler over the past couple days. Look for those that are listed as going between Deshler and Toledo.
In theory though, you could have hundreds of trains a day. Just need hundreds of crews to all start near Deshler and ram those trains all northbound. In practice though, with limited demand for trains and the preferred route of going over to Fostoria and then head north, you just won't find a large mass of trains going north through Deshler.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1547755404
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:04 pm
You can look at this train log that shows every train that has passed Deshler over the past couple days. Look for those that are listed as going between Deshler and Toledo.
In theory though, you could have hundreds of trains a day. Just need hundreds of crews to all start near Deshler and ram those trains all northbound. In practice though, with limited demand for trains and the preferred route of going over to Fostoria and then head north, you just won't find a large mass of trains going north through Deshler.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1547755404
Yeah, I know north of Deshler sometimes is used if the Pemberville Sub is having a traffic jam so some trains that run via Fostoria CAN run via Deshler if need be

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Now that M209 has been re-profiled to originate at Wayne Michigan, it generally operates via Fostoria. As for how many could operate via Bates, in the early/mid 2000's 15 to 18 trains a day were the norm. The closure of Stanley yard was the leading factor in the decrease to what you see today.
To me, the slab trains should run via Bates regularly as should 510/511 and 200/201, but the railroad has their reasons for not doing so.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

...but I think theres also 2 coal trains that run Tue-Sat...
You must be referring to the iron ore train and the corresponding empties, not coal. Also, it's Mon-Fri.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

BnOEngr wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:22 pm
...but I think theres also 2 coal trains that run Tue-Sat...
You must be referring to the iron ore train and the corresponding empties, not coal. Also, it's Mon-Fri.
Sorry I had been thinking about something else its ore as you said