Bellevue - Oak Harbor directional running?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Bellevue - Oak Harbor directional running?

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Based solely on anecdotal evidence of what I've seen when out and about, it seems to me that every time I see a train on the Toledo District it's coming into Bellevue from the west...and the few I've happened to see on the northern Sandusky district were all going north towards Sandusky.

Has NS implemented a policy of directional running between Bellevue and Oak Harbor, where all westbounds go via Sandusky and all eastbounds go via Fremont? (which was speculated as a possibility once they completed the connection from the yard to the northern Sandusky district)

Now I know the W&LE trains to Toledo still go westbound up the Toledo District, but aside from those are there any other exceptions to what I'm perceiving as a full directional running pattern?

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bellevue - Oak Harbor directional running?

Unread post by esprrfan »

They try to but not all trains go to that "plan" like w/b 343 that only runs the Toledo district. Sometimes if there isn't a rested crew they park w/b in klines yard which then commit them to the district.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks.

On a somewhat related note, today at 12:30 I was driving down Potter Rd and had to wait for a train lead by NS 9923 that was backing up from the northern Sandusky District onto the the new connection to the yard. After it cleared the crossing I didn't stay around to see what happened next , but my best guess as to why it was backing up would be that it was still building its train and would later depart WB (directional north) to Sandusky. Am I right in that guess?

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

I was on that end of town again today around 12:30 and saw an EB intermodal (directional south) come down the northern Sandusky District toward the mini-pant, and then right behind it (less then 10 mins later) was an EB manifest that took the new connection into the yard.....so there's 2 exceptions right there.