NS West Virginia Secondary-Columbus Oh to Alloy WV

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS West Virginia Secondary-Columbus Oh to Alloy WV

Unread post by midland sub »

The person that took the pic.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

For anyone keeping score last 380/381 supposedly ran Thursday and Friday. There's a coal train at Corning and supposed to be one more loaded on that test burn that are going to a Glatfelter paper mill.

Rumor on the Ohio Central that NS is waiting for another offer from G&W on the line. Outside of the OC no one at G&W knows anything about it other than working on the New Lex to Corning details.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

The last 380 ran yesterday, nothing ran Friday-Sunday due to the weather. One of the MOW guys at Hobson said they were having a meeting today, and they'd call Hobson with their decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMIFyyotqX8 Good sized 381 and 380, not that it matters now.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

NS has continued to operate 380 & 381 on there regular schedule except for January 22-23 which were annulled due to heavy snow in the Charleston-Dickinson area. 381-02 departed Hobson earlier this afternoon with NS 6344 + 6803 and 30 cars. The latest word is that Watkins will dispatch a final 380 tomorrow which will take all cars destined for Dickinson Yard at Quincy WV. Any Dickinson cars arriving at Watkins after that will be routed to Bellevue for forwarding to Linwood NC. 380 & 381 are to become Linwood-Dickinson trains returning manifest freight operation to the former Virginian south of Deepwater WV. Presumably the 381 today was the last one for Columbus. Hopefully this will turn out to be another false alarm but shadows are growing long for the old T&OC-K&M.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 259&nseq=4
Supposedly the last 381. This I believe is the third 381 to be the last 381, for some background. Still, one of these days, maybe today, it'll be true.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Penn Central Historical Society did a couple months worth of stories and pics concerning this route. Interesting stuff. A little south of my running territory though...but still interesting.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Pie39 wrote:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 259&nseq=4
Supposedly the last 381. This I believe is the third 381 to be the last 381, for some background. Still, one of these days, maybe today, it'll be true.

Those 2 bay hoppers hauling sand? Where to/from?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Those 2 bay hoppers hauling sand? Where to/from?

This place in Nitro West Virginia...Essroc Cement...6 Pickens Road in Nitro
https://www.google.com/maps/place/6+Pic ... f151fdc882

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

The 2 bay cars on 380/381 have usually been cement loads south, empties north.

380-03 yesterday came out of Watkins around noon with NS 6344 & 9449 with 37 cars. They stopped at Thurston to work the grain operation there with is located on the stub of the former NYC Ohio Central Division Eastern Branch. They arrived at Hobson at 515PM. The outbound crew departed Hobson around 8PM and cleared the CSXT Pomeroy Sub back to the HE dispatcher at 2045 CSXT time. There was a 4 car pickup at Pt Pleasant from CSXT but apparently paperwork was not ready as the cars are still there. The crew was to pickup NS 5329 at Nitro and setoff 5 load & 2 empties at Nitro and 5 & 1 at Institute.

A ghost 381 is operating north today identified as 610 as the 381 symbol now applies to the Dickinson-Linwood operation. 610 is approaching Kanauga and will be recrewed at or near Hobson as the crew out of Dickinson is short on time and may not make Hobson.

This should be it. Any cars that missed yesterdays 380 or arrive later will go to Bellevue and then Linwood.

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

NS 610 alias 381 arrived at Hobson at 345 PM. Train was recrewed at Kanauga before coming on to CSXT Pomeroy Sub. The outbound crew took over the train there and has yard track at Hobson and the main on to Refugee in Columbus. Train has NS 6344, 6803, 5329 with 65 cars, a mix of gons, hoppers, covered hoppers, tankcars, and even a UP refrigerator car from the produce company in Charleston. Appropriately the last car is a tankcar GATX 66376 representing all the tanks that have ridden the line in the last 100 plus years.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice update. I had the chance to chase them from Pickerington to Pleasantville yesterday. There's several grain cars spotted at Thurston plus the empty they dropped off yesterday. Shame I never made an effort to chase them. It's an easy follow outside of Columbus.

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

Apparently Wednesdays 380 and yesterdays 610/381 were the last runs. The only activity today north of Hobson has been a track inspector and an Ohio Central BOT1 working the mine at Burr Oak. Additional cars have arrived at Watkins based on the old classification software and there was speculation that a southbound might be operated to clean those cars out but the latest word is that the crew off yesterdays 610 will go home by taxi. Lets pray that there is a happy next chapter in the story of the T&OC.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

bbe125 wrote:Apparently Wednesdays 380 and yesterdays 610/381 were the last runs. The only activity today north of Hobson has been a track inspector and an Ohio Central BOT1 working the mine at Burr Oak. Additional cars have arrived at Watkins based on the old classification software and there was speculation that a southbound might be operated to clean those cars out but the latest word is that the crew off yesterdays 610 will go home by taxi. Lets pray that there is a happy next chapter in the story of the T&OC.

I haven't heard anything about when the jobs are getting cut. I had a guy qualifying with me to Bellevue the other day (he's from the secondary).. he said his union guy from that side hadn't heard anything either.

NS seems to be rather sparce in putting out the info.. even to its own employees.

EDIT: Well, there is a bulletin out about the transfer of Dispatching for the line on Feb 8th.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

bbe125 wrote:Apparently Wednesdays 380 and yesterdays 610/381 were the last runs. The only activity today north of Hobson has been a track inspector and an Ohio Central BOT1 working the mine at Burr Oak. Additional cars have arrived at Watkins based on the old classification software and there was speculation that a southbound might be operated to clean those cars out but the latest word is that the crew off yesterdays 610 will go home by taxi. Lets pray that there is a happy next chapter in the story of the T&OC.

Yeah I see shortline written in the secondarys future.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

380 at Thurston on Wednesday after setting out one car at the grain elevator.

http://youtu.be/jrf3nZcDV38

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

For those interested. They cut a couple of the jobs in Hobson, leaving i believe 2 on to cover the coal trains loading up to the north. I don't know how long the coal is suppose to be loading.

I was also told there'll be a shifter and a few extra board spots added in Dickinson.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They cut the rails today just south of Gloster and then again at Hobson taking 50 miles of the line out of service.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

midland sub wrote:They cut the rails today just south of Gloster and then again at Hobson taking 50 miles of the line out of service.
A sad day for sure.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

Late last week WATCO subsidiary Kanawha River RR filed paperwork with the STB to begin the process of leasing the NS West Virginia Secondary plus a portion of the NS Princeton-Deepwater District. WATCO plans to begin operation in July with 2 Dickinson Yard WV based locals and southbound Columbus-Dickinson manifests (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) and northbound manifests (Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday) plus some coal trains.