Delphos Ohio ?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Delphos Ohio ?

Unread post by JoJames »

What is the business on the former Cloverleaf southwest of town? I know there is a farm fertilizer plant but looking at google maps there appears to be another business that has rail access.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Delphos Ohio ?

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

It is D&D Ingredients or close to that. Always has lots of grain hoppers and once in awhile maybe a box car. In the course of a year they receive a ton of grain cars. It is served by the CF&E from a connection in Delphos at the Bunge plant. D&D has a grown greatly from decades ago.

PW

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Thanks for the info. Was any track relaid to service this industry?

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

No, that is all original (more or less) Cloverleaf track. They use their track machine to run cars between there and the Delphos plant.

CG Tower
JoJames wrote:Thanks for the info. Was any track relaid to service this industry?
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CG Tower wrote:No, that is all original (more or less) Cloverleaf track. They use their track machine to run cars between there and the Delphos plant.

CG Tower
JoJames wrote:Thanks for the info. Was any track relaid to service this industry?
I was thinking the track ended at the fertilizer facility and didn't cross the road.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

JoJames wrote:
CG Tower wrote:No, that is all original (more or less) Cloverleaf track. They use their track machine to run cars between there and the Delphos plant.

CG Tower
I was thinking the track ended at the fertilizer facility and didn't cross the road.
The track ended just short of the next road to the west. Only the main is original, all the rest of the track was put in after the Hi-Rail era. They are currently adding a 30 car siding on the East side of the main. They expect carloads to exceed 2000 this yr. On a side note, I heard they are adding a siding at the Spencerville facility which will be served by RJ Corman. Ken 8)

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ELwillie »

D&D get a lot of rail cars from CFE and have built up a large yard to move them around. Hopefully my pixs from January at State rd load ok usually would catch CFE there around 3 to 5 O clock.
Attachments
20150123_161643 (2).jpg
20150123_161616 (2).jpg

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

I was thinking the track ended at the fertilizer facility and didn't cross the road.[/quote]
The track ended just short of the next road to the west. Only the main is original, all the rest of the track was put in after the Hi-Rail era. They are currently adding a 30 car siding on the East side of the main. They expect carloads to exceed 2000 this yr. On a side note, I heard they are adding a siding at the Spencerville facility which will be served by RJ Corman. Ken 8)[/quote]

When did they get a facility at Spencerville? Only thing I knew active there was Flexible Foam since it appears the elevator hasn't been doing anything.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

D&D bought the old Mcdonald industry building on State Route 117 west edge of Spencerville.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

60Tonner wrote:
When did they get a facility at Spencerville? Only thing I knew active there was Flexible Foam since it appears the elevator hasn't been doing anything.
Are you talking of the Spencerville elevator or Mercer Landmark in Elgin? The tracks were removed from the place in Spencerville. Mercer Landmark is very active though. I filmed a unit grain train this spring and photographed another. They get tanks weekly also.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
60Tonner wrote:
Are you talking of the Spencerville elevator or Mercer Landmark in Elgin? The tracks were removed from the place in Spencerville. Mercer Landmark is very active though. I filmed a unit grain train this spring and photographed another. They get tanks weekly also.
Oh you young pups, I have photos of trains working east out of Ohio City :)

I would be interested in seeing the filming of the unit grain train.

I might upload all of my SPEG photos to flickr soon, but I'll have to laboriously scan every one of them.
Brett

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

alittlevanwerty wrote:
60Tonner wrote:

Yes Spencerville is the town we are talking about.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

I am not a young pup, :D I remember NW rolling thru Ohio City at a respectable 30 ish MPH,also Drove truck for the fellow who started Spencerville and Elgin RR. The first trip west involved digging out tar patch at the crossings. Thankfully these two segments of track have survived.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

Made a trip to Delphos today. While crossing the tracks to D&D at State Rd, I saw contractors leveling out ground next to old track prepping for another track.
The contractor was working from State Rd west to D&D facility.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

ELwillie wrote:Made a trip to Delphos today. While crossing the tracks to D&D at State Rd, I saw contractors leveling out ground next to old track prepping for another track.
The contractor was working from State Rd west to D&D facility.
They started the siding work back in May Willie. But its been an uphill battle because of the weather though. Ken 8)
Attachments
057.JPG
Mud and more mud, looking back toward Delphos
Mud and more mud, looking back toward Delphos
Looking Southwest toward Landeck
Looking Southwest toward Landeck

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

ELwillie wrote:I am not a young pup, :D I remember NW rolling thru Ohio City at a respectable 30 ish MPH,also Drove truck for the fellow who started Spencerville and Elgin RR. The first trip west involved digging out tar patch at the crossings. Thankfully these two segments of track have survived.
So you worked for Rusty Pisle? Small world...

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

CG Tower wrote:
ELwillie wrote:I am not a young pup, :D I remember NW rolling thru Ohio City at a respectable 30 ish MPH,also Drove truck for the fellow who started Spencerville and Elgin RR. The first trip west involved digging out tar patch at the crossings. Thankfully these two segments of track have survived.
So you worked for Rusty Pisle? Small world...

Carl Smith,owner of Elgin Grain,Was a BIG player in getting this started.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

I remember Smith was also involved with getting Spencerville & Elgin started, when I worked for Farm Service Center in 78, Fred V. ran the train out of Spencerville
later operations where move to Ohio City. I also worked at Ohio Dec. The landscape of Spencerville has really changed from what it was when I was a kid.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

I went thru Spencerville Oh today drove by D&D apparently Doc is putting a siding in hooking to the old EL large stack of ties on north side of building.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Hoping to get a few more things going out on the old EL, D&D is just one of them.

I toured the line with the RJ Corman officals two weeks ago as a part of my "day job". Lots of great potential out that way once some additional infrastructure is in place.

CG Tower

ELwillie wrote:I went thru Spencerville Oh today drove by D&D apparently Doc is putting a siding in hooking to the old EL large stack of ties on north side of building.