Spent the day in Fostoria

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Spent the day in Fostoria

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Well I decided to go to Fostoria Thursday to see if i could catch the Q106 with KCS power pass through. After checking out what was in Lima I headed north into Findlay. When do the locals (NS and CSX) usually work this city? I have yet to even see a train working here. Fostoria was busy as usuall. I probably missed as many trains as I caught. I'm still getting used to railfannig with a scanner so that just added to the confusion. The first train I videoed was a CSX intermodal heading west out of town.

Once into town I drove by the CSX yard to see what was there. This one was real nice but not being used at the time I was there. Surprising the slug has new paint and the GP40-2 is left in beat up YN2.
At work and at play, be safe every day by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CSX 6969 GP40-2 mother by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Maybe I will catch them running next time...

I did catch a local working though, If I knew what their routine was I could have filmed them crossing the diamonds 3 times and shoving west to the mill. Nice to catch a caboose run though.
CSX B&O Chessie caboose 903985 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CSX 6398 GP40-2 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CSX 6398 GP40-2 on the yard job by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

I just was not on top of things. I knew this train was about to leave but I still drove around tring to find a better spot to film. Still was happy to get the EMD's passing the crane.

Later the crane headed back out to the west side of town but I only photographed it this time.
NS rail crane by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
This was the only Dash 9 I filmed all day but it had some EMD assistance.
Wrong leader NS! by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Again, I saw the green signal but tried to get to a better spot. Luckily this was changing course from the B&O to the C&O. I snapped the photo in town and then drove south to get my video of it traveling south on the C&O.
CSX/KCS Schneider intermodal (either Q106 or Q107, not sure which) by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Also caught 2 grain trains, 1 on the C&O and one on the B&O.

This was a great meet. The east bound intermodal had a boxcar logo on point and the coal train heading west had 699 "Diversity in Motion". Also used 2 cameras rather than turn the camera around. I still need practice working more than 1 at a time.

More nice power on this NS coal train.

After about 1 pm Fostoria hit a slow point and i did not catch anymore pass through in the hour I had left. I did drive out by themixing center to snap this pic though.
A nice line up at the mixing center in Fostoria by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
I was surprised not to catch any manifests or a NS local/yard job but there always is next time.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Spent the day in Fostoria

Unread post by Y@ »

When it comes to NS in Findlay, the procedure is interesting. L76 comes from Fostoria and gets on the Lima District at DA, then runs down to Findlay to swap cars with L74, which comes from Lima. The two trains work the "yard" and then do the swap, then head back to their terminals. Each job usually has a single SD40-2, either high hood or admiral cab. This time of the year, you probably won't see either train in daylight unless you catch L74 leaving Lima around 4-5 pm. Track speed on the entire line is 25 mph so it's not hard to keep up or chase.
Bottom text.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

I'll send you a PM. There's no yard working done in Findlay BTW

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CF&E East wrote:I'll send you a PM. There's no yard working done in Findlay BTW
Notice I said "yard" in parenthesis? I've heard the crews refer to it as "the yard" while working it. It's only a siding with a couple "yard" tracks. The two trains both drop cars for the tire plant. So yes, there is work done in Findlay. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Anyone know how CSX ended up with GP40-2's w/o dynamic brakes? Ex-RP&F units perhaps :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AARR wrote:Anyone know how CSX ended up with GP40-2's w/o dynamic brakes? Ex-RP&F units perhaps :?
The 6398 is indeed a former RF&P (not RP&F) unit, and is one of the only, if not the only, non-dynamic GP40-2's on the CSX roster.
Bottom text.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Y@ wrote:
AARR wrote:Anyone know how CSX ended up with GP40-2's w/o dynamic brakes? Ex-RP&F units perhaps :?
The 6398 is indeed a former RF&P (not RP&F) unit, and is one of the only, if not the only, non-dynamic GP40-2's on the CSX roster.
CSX 6393-6399 are ex-RF&P 141-147, built with dual control stands (since removed) and no dynamic brakes. CSX also has 4 GP38-2s without dynamics that came from the Durham & Southern by way of SBD, now CSX 2556-2559. CSX also had several non-dyno GP35s from RF&P and L&N as well as 7 GP40s (6855-6861) from RF&P (ex-121-127), but all have since been retired. There have been other small bathces of units that CSX had at one time that did not have dynamics. CSX SD40 4600 (retired) for example, ex Gainesville Midland #10, which went to SBD 8300. The ex-CR GP15-1s also do not have dynos.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:When it comes to NS in Findlay, the procedure is interesting. L76 comes from Fostoria and gets on the Lima District at DA, then runs down to Findlay to swap cars with L74, which comes from Lima. The two trains work the "yard" and then do the swap, then head back to their terminals. Each job usually has a single SD40-2, either high hood or admiral cab. This time of the year, you probably won't see either train in daylight unless you catch L74 leaving Lima around 4-5 pm. Track speed on the entire line is 25 mph so it's not hard to keep up or chase.
Well one of my goals for later in the year when it gets light later is to follow the L74 from Lima to Findlay. Missed my chance last fall and these days its dark before it hits Bluffton. I suppose I will have to film both of them at the same time.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

L74 left Lima yesterday (Friday) at 3. Not only is the track only 25, but, he had 4 slow orders that had stretches of 2 to 3 miles at 10 mph...also as part of their authority it was mention that the mile post limits at Findlay were considered occupied, so someone was working.

Not only is this an easy chase...you also have two defect detectors along the way if you loose track of the train. The DD's are necessary for the chemicals that often go out via this line..trust me, some of the stuff you would NOT want to derail. Explosions are one thing, but a certain gas that is colorless, odorless and can cause pretty much instant death is far another.

I suspect that business may pick up a bit since the Joint Manufacturing Facility (tank plant) had its budget ok'ed for a few more years.

The "yard" at Findlay is simply the few passing tracks underneath the I-75 overpass. Also at this location is a plant that receives cars of carbon black. Depending on what crew does what, the have been known to leave their cars at this location and shove back into the lead to the Cooper Tire plant....which has several tracks within the facility.

The only local work for CSX in Findlay is at Hancor Drainage, which is south of town. H719 will work that when necessary.

Here are a few from a chase to Beaverdam a few years back:

Morris Interlocking by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

East to Fostoria by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

Frame Job by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'll throw in a few of my Lima District shots for the hell of it.

The Lima District is one of my favorite pieces of railroad I've been on. Summer evenings are the best times to chase L76 and L74.

CG, that's pretty wild that the eastbound left Lima at 15:00. I don't think I've ever seen them go to Findlay that early.
Bottom text.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, I was surprised at the early depart as well...he had a small train.

CG

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Nice photos! Both regulars on the L74. I can't say I've seen them have 2 SD40-2 hh in Lima though, you got lucky :)

So NS does still serve the tank plant then? I have yet to catch them have anything for it in any of their trains but I can see the track on the satalite. Were those DODX flats in your pic then?

Also, do any of the small towns (Bluffton and such) between Lima and Findlay have customers that ship by rail? I would guess the elevator in Beaverdam does unit trains but I've only seen cars stored there when I have past.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

High hooded SD40-2's used to be the norm L74 until rebuild program kicked in. Either way, I like having the vintage EMD's around.

NS does serve the tank plant and those are DODX flats...

On line industries include a grain elevator at Bluffton, Blanchard Valley Co-Op just south-west of Findlay, and the large stone quarry at Findlay (which occasionally ships out unit ballast trains).

E at CG

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I'm curious as to if the Blanchard Valley Elevator on the east side of Findlay sees service too, and also I see this..
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=41.0895593&lo ... 18&l=0&m=h
They make side dump cars here complete with a spur to the Lima District. here is the elevator in that area.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=41.0722406&lo ... 18&l=0&m=h

Also there is a warehouse with a spur and this is on NS system for bulk distribution
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=41.0694137&lo ... 18&l=0&m=h
Called Ohio logistics at Tall Timbers Distribution Center, I have no idea how busy they are.

Also this place sw of town has a spur in it.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=41.0255102&lo ... 19&l=0&m=h
Exit stage left

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Well at Findlay you also have:

MP 58- Cooper Tire and Rubber (worked every other day I believe)

MP 57-CSX interchange (three or four cars every other day)

MP 54- Blanchard Valley CO-OP (I've not seen anything spotted there, but they may off load fertilizer)
JK-CO http://www.jk-co.com/ - maker of side dump cars

The "Tall Timers" complex, as I have observed, has never received any cars.

E at CG

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

CP-43 in Findlay, a pretty active interchange with NS:

CP 43/Findlay by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr