Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Bulby »

GP9 105, GP16s 1601, 1603, 1606, and GP20 3054 form the ND&W's roster. 105 is in Gettysburg paint, the GP16s are in the older Pioneer paint without a logo, 3054 wears the newer Pioneer scheme with the diamond on the long hood.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Thanks

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anything new to report in terms of MOW work?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

No real major projects I know of, but you can get a 21 car train the length of the railroad without derailment now.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

"No real major projects I know of, but you can get a 21 car train the length of the railroad without derailment now."

Good to hear, Bulby. What a difference from the MAW times. Pioneer certainly has pulled that line out of the swamp, literally and figuratively. And I'll bet they have seen an uptick in business as a result, too.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

jimnorthwood wrote:Pioneer certainly has pulled that line out of the swamp, literally and figuratively. And I'll bet they have seen an uptick in business as a result, too.
Lets not get too crazy. The track is better but still rough by shortline standards.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:
jimnorthwood wrote:Pioneer certainly has pulled that line out of the swamp, literally and figuratively. And I'll bet they have seen an uptick in business as a result, too.
Lets not get too crazy. The track is better but still rough by shortline standards.
The track isn't pretty, but it holds more than the MAW did. There are still plenty of derailments, and enough work to keep the track crew gainfully employed until retirement.

Customers are very happy, business is indeed up, on top of it being the busy season. They really need the 107 back.

Right now, 1606 is assigned to Napoleon, 3054 is doing daily turns from Napoleon to Defiance, 1601 is assigned to Defiance, 105 is doing turns from Defiance to Cecil, and 1603 is working from Cecil to Woodburn. There really are no spare engines.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

I forgot to mention, rumor is Pioneer bought a new tamper specifically for the ND&W.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Bulby wrote:Little late response but ND&W is currently doing a heavier than normal business in tomato paste; I understand there are roughly 60 cars inbound on the NS interchange alone. That should get dealt with this week...

Also; all the locomotives are supposed to be getting a bath this week.

How does the tomato paste come in. Does the shipper ship in boxcars or is it in some form of tank car? It would seem like a waste to put the paste into cans and then have to open the cans at the Campbell's plant, but I've seen stranger things.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Tomato paste is shipped in totes in box cars. I think each tote holds 1000 or 2000 lbs.
chapmaja wrote:
Bulby wrote:Little late response but ND&W is currently doing a heavier than normal business in tomato paste; I understand there are roughly 60 cars inbound on the NS interchange alone. That should get dealt with this week...

Also; all the locomotives are supposed to be getting a bath this week.

How does the tomato paste come in. Does the shipper ship in boxcars or is it in some form of tank car? It would seem like a waste to put the paste into cans and then have to open the cans at the Campbell's plant, but I've seen stranger things.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

NDW is heading for Cecil from Defiance with a clean (for now) 105

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Are they running the Napoleon turn out of Napoleon every day now as opposed to starting in Defiance like they used to?
Bottom text.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:I forgot to mention, rumor is Pioneer bought a new tamper specifically for the ND&W.
Lol whats to tamp with hardly any ballast? :lol: A tamper will definitely do wonders to level out the ND&W.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Y@ wrote:Are they running the Napoleon turn out of Napoleon every day now as opposed to starting in Defiance like they used to?
Assuming that everything goes according to plan, the Napoleon train starts from Napoleon and meets the train from Cecil in Defiance around 11am or noon. That said, if the crew has time after getting back to Napoleon and doing their work there, they will start back towards Defiance.
MQT1223 wrote:Lol whats to tamp with hardly any ballast? :lol: A tamper will definitely do wonders to level out the ND&W.
There actually is ballast if you know where to look...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If it's not under the tracks there is a problem :wink: :lol:
Bulby wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Lol whats to tamp with hardly any ballast? :lol: A tamper will definitely do wonders to level out the ND&W.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

AARR wrote:If it's not under the tracks there is a problem :wink: :lol:
Bulby wrote:
That was a dig at the foamers that continue to call it the world's worst maintained railroad, who intentionally ignore the massive amounts of effort poured into the physical plant since the Pioneer takeover. Especially since those people usually make sure not to show the parts of the railroad that have gotten worked on.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Bulby wrote:
That was a dig at the foamers that continue to call it the world's worst maintained railroad, who intentionally ignore the massive amounts of effort poured into the physical plant since the Pioneer takeover. Especially since those people usually make sure not to show the parts of the railroad that have gotten worked on.
I've been watching this thread over the years and noticed the same guys who constantly put down this railroad and it's track conditions. I invite them to go purchase a railroad in the condition this was in when Pioneer bravely took it over and see how long it takes you to rehab it while working with an annual rehab budget coupled with grants, loans, etc. It's going to take years, but it sure seems to me that they are improving it over time and are committed to continuing investment in this line. Things don't change overnight.

I'm guessing that Bulby has some very close ties to this railroad, or Pioneer itself based on his comments, doesn't sound like some random foamer who is totally speculating.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I did poke a little bit of fun at the ND&W, but I do watch this railroad with great enthusiasm. I continue to come back to this thread because every piece of information in regards to maintenance or an uptick in traffic is great news.

The fact these guys can handle the traffic they do with the infrastructure they have is incredible to say the least.

jldominique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jldominique »

Has anyone noticed the switch they put in at Defiance, it is right next to the CSX diamond in the northeast quadrant. The switch is facing toward the diamond, was wondering what Pioneer has going on.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I believe its a derail on the ND&W side that is tied into the interlocking.
jldominique wrote:Has anyone noticed the switch they put in at Defiance, it is right next to the CSX diamond in the northeast quadrant. The switch is facing toward the diamond, was wondering what Pioneer has going on.