Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

ND&W was awarded another CRISI grant for the sections of the line between Defiance and Napoleon minus 3 miles on either side of Jewell that was already upgraded. This is intended to bring the remainder of the line up to Class 1 standards. I'm including the description that was in the 2022 grant application and what was put out with the grant award:

"The proposed project will complement the work undertaken by the 2020 and 2021 funding, focusing on portions of the line between MP 33.5 and 42.2 and MP 46.3 to 51.5, that were not addressed through the federal grant and ultimately bring the entirety of the line closer to a fully
functioning, safe and efficient railroad. Upgrades to this line are expected to reduce derailments and create significant economic, safety and environmental benefits to Ohio’s northwestern region."

Ohio – Napoleon, Defiance & Western Critical Safety Upgrade - Phase 2 Project
(Up to $10,792,157)
Ohio Rail Development Commission (ORDC)
The proposed project involves project development, final design, and construction activities for various track improvements, upgrades to multiple grade crossings, and bridge rehabilitation work. The project is part of a multi-phase effort to improve the Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW). This project aligns with the selection criteria by improving safety, increasing ability to meet existing and anticipated demand, and enhancing performance with upgrading the track to FRA Class 1 track standard from Excepted track. NDW interchanges with CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway, and freight traffic must travel on NDW’s tracks before rail cars are interchanged with the Class 1 railroads. ORDC and NDW will provide a 30 percent non-Federal match. This project qualifies for the statutory set-aside for projects in Rural Areas.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

This is great news! I grew up in Napoleon from 1963-1968 and watched the Wabash from my second story window. I used to watch as they put coal hoppers for the City power plant up a siding by Bales Creek Road across from the ballpark and bowling alley. I enjoyed the DT&I as well and never dreamed those tracks would be ripped up. I made it down to Napoleon in 2011 and snapped photo of a lone GP-10.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

I know we have some people who live in the area and used to comment on operations. It would be great to get some updates from those with eyes on the tracks.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Did NDW get an ex-NS switcher? It is sitting in the Napoleon transload yard in March 2023 Google Streetview. I have not found any other photos of it...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4040332 ... ?entry=ttu