Wheeling & Lake Erie stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Wheeling & Lake Erie stuff

Unread post by redside20 »

nice pics Josh..
Exit stage left

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Something I've noticed that's kind of funny is how different the Lake Shore and Brewster tracks look right now
(Both are owned by NS, but used by WLE)

The Brewster is normal looking, where as the Lake Shore is choked with high weeds and has been all year.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that one of those tracks sees traffic that is interchanged with NS, while the other sees traffic that is eventually interchanged with CN in a process that briefly clogs up some busy NS lines along the way.

redside20

I always thought the Lake Shore had ratty looking tracks complete with rotting ties, lack of ballast in some places, rusty rails, and an unkempt ROW among other things.
Exit stage left

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Lucas, did you ever think you'd see this happen at Young Road...

Took that while walking on the trail today. While I was out there I got passed by one of those NS grain/agri trains, first time I've seen one in motion. It was moving slowly WB down Yeomans siding around 4:15pm and had about 85 cars, all of which were 3 bay covered hoppers with NS logos. I still haven't seen where they go from the Lakeshore connection.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Took that while walking on the trail today. While I was out there I got passed by one of those NS grain/agri trains, first time I've seen one in motion. It was moving slowly WB down Yeomans siding around 4:15pm and had about 85 cars, all of which were 3 bay covered hoppers with NS logos. I still haven't seen where they go from the Lakeshore connection.
The Trains Mag article from a few years ago talked about these 85 car unit trains with NS. I can't recall if they carry feed for southern feed mills or soybeans for a plant on NS.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

No..Not in my lifetime Josh..I'm gonna have to check that out next time I'm up there..
Exit stage left

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Something I've noticed that's kind of funny is how different the Lake Shore and Brewster tracks look right now
(Both are owned by NS, but used by WLE)

The Brewster is normal looking, where as the Lake Shore is choked with high weeds and has been all year.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that one of those tracks sees traffic that is interchanged with NS, while the other sees traffic that is eventually interchanged with CN in a process that briefly clogs up some busy NS lines along the way.

Bellevue_Guy, this might explain the weeds depending how correct the info is. Tax records indicate the WLE owns or atleast pays taxes on the Brewster connection up to Bauer rd only just west of the Lakshore switch. Tax records also indicate the Huron county park district owns part the Lakeshore ROW between Bauer rd and Prairie road. Going west from Prairie rd. towards the curve there are no tax records on the Lakeshore connection. What is more interesting is tax records indicate the curve on the Lakeshore (google maps 41.268576,-82.837716) between Monroe st south to the double mainline is not owned by NS, but a local air conditioner company. What appears as the old right away (41.268517,-82.837558, thin strip of land between the before mentioned parcel and building) is owned by an individual that owns the building between Monroe st. and Cemetery st. east of the double tracks. Also note that after the Brewster connection turns north towards the yard at Ohio st. there is no ROW, it appears it uses easments (41.270795,-82.835724). Unable to find any tax records of the remaing Lakeshore connection or the Brewster connection. Again, not sure how correct the info is, but it is on the Huron county GIS. Keep up the good work Bellevue_Guy.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting info. I was basing my comment on ownership solely on the fact that there is a little white sign immediately west of Bauer Rd that says NS on one side and WLE on the other, plus the fact that there are NS distant signals on both tracks just east of Prairie Rd.

And it makes sense that there's no ROW for the Brewster connection curve since I'm pretty sure that connection was put in by the NKP when they took over the WLE back in 1949, so it would have been built off of the original WLE ROW. Same goes for the Lakeshore connection curve property, I don't think it was put in until the 70's when PC abandoned the Norwalk branch and N&W took over the overgrown section in question to connect their main line to the WLE, though I may be wrong on that.

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

Hi all!
First post to this forum so I'll intro myself. My name's Dan, I am from England but now living in Ohio with my wife near Bellevue. So being new to the American scene I may have a more questions at first (sorry!).

GP35 Norwalk Oh by danTRH, on Flickr
So a week or so ago I came across this in Norwalk Oh, GP35 108 running with an SD40 towards Bellevue. As it isn't standard or current, Does anyone know the deal with this livery?
Also is an GP35 considered heritage at all... or generally what is considered heritage. I say that as Wheeling and lake seem to run with some interesting locomotives.
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Dan

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

57603oh wrote:Hi all!
First post to this forum so I'll intro myself. My name's Dan, I am from England but now living in Ohio with my wife near Bellevue. So being new to the American scene I may have a more questions at first (sorry!).

GP35 Norwalk Oh by danTRH, on Flickr
So a week or so ago I came across this in Norwalk Oh, GP35 108 running with an SD40 towards Bellevue. As it isn't standard or current, Does anyone know the deal with this livery?
Also is an GP35 considered heritage at all... or generally what is considered heritage. I say that as Wheeling and lake seem to run with some interesting locomotives.
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Dan
None of their units would be considered heritage per se but the GP35's on their roster are former NS and NW units, they have some former Denver and Rio Grande Western units that still have their Rio Grande paint albeit touched up.

Heres their roster:
http://www.nsdash9.com/WEroster.html
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Welcome to the board and to the US!

What do you mean by heritage? Do you mean the history of the unit, as in the railroads which previously owned it? Or the paint scheme being an old "heritage" scheme like the NS Heritage Fleet? Or maybe something else?

As far as unit history, that unit was built as Southern #2705 in December of 1964. Later ended up with Norfolk Southern through the Southern/Norfolk & Western merger and later became WE #2705 before being renumbered #108.

Here is a picture of it in Southern (8/11/82) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2370757
And here as WE #2705 in Brewster (12/25/94) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=10898
And then of course your picture shows the unit currently
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

MQT3001 wrote:Welcome to the board and to the US!

What do you mean by heritage? Do you mean the history of the unit, as in the railroads which previously owned it? Or the paint scheme being an old "heritage" scheme like the NS Heritage Fleet? Or maybe something else?

As far as unit history, that unit was built as Southern #2705 in December of 1964. Later ended up with Norfolk Southern through the Southern/Norfolk & Western merger and later became WE #2705 before being renumbered #108.

Here is a picture of it in Southern (8/11/82) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2370757
And here as WE #2705 in Brewster (12/25/94) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=10898
I guess what I mean by heritage is would if they were retired tomorrow be worthy of preservation/becoming museum pieces. Over in the UK there are older locomotives that are on active rosters but the number of them active is less that or at the most equal to the amount preserved. When I saw the GP35 I was stunned that it was on a train and thought I had seen something really rare. The history of the unit is dead interesting, but how do you guys keep up with all the renumbering? I get really lost with all the different private companies etc.
It seems to me that the shortline frieght companies have a greater deal of interest in the way of older equipment being used.
Thanks for the welcome MQT3001!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

57603oh wrote:

I guess what I mean by heritage is would if they were retired tomorrow be worthy of preservation/becoming museum pieces. Over in the UK there are older locomotives that are on active rosters but the number of them active is less that or at the most equal to the amount preserved. When I saw the GP35 I was stunned that it was on a train and thought I had seen something really rare. The history of the unit is dead interesting, but how do you guys keep up with all the renumbering? I get really lost with all the different private companies etc.
It seems to me that the shortline frieght companies have a greater deal of interest in the way of older equipment being used.
That unit has a VERY short history compared to some units. GP35s are COMMON units, albeit not THE most popular.

For the most part, preservation here in the states is for Steamers & Now early diesels, such as the F-units.

You guys don't understand the private enterprise railroads, but many of us don't get govt railroads and european model names!

I'll see if I can get a real long locomotive history for ya :P

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

MQT3001 wrote:
57603oh wrote:I guess what I mean by heritage is would if they were retired tomorrow be worthy of preservation/becoming museum pieces. Over in the UK there are older locomotives that are on active rosters but the number of them active is less that or at the most equal to the amount preserved. When I saw the GP35 I was stunned that it was on a train and thought I had seen something really rare. The history of the unit is dead interesting, but how do you guys keep up with all the renumbering? I get really lost with all the different private companies etc.
That unit has a VERY short history compared to some units. GP35s are COMMON units, albeit not THE most popular.

For the most part, preservation here in the states is for Steamers & Now early diesels, such as the F-units.

You guys don't understand the private enterprise railroads, but many of us don't get govt railroads and european model names!

I'll see if I can get a real long locomotive history for ya :P
I understand that there's a very beardy man who likes to pick up ladies for photos who's kinda peed right now he lost his private railway/franchise ;)

I think most of Europe is like the states, mainly steam in pres. I dunno, us Brits are different, its like we want to preserve everything before it all goes totally plastic (see Virgins pendolinos for reference there).

Now however I understand what this GP would be in British terms... its the high hoods, I'm starting to get a thing for em. That's where this unit had me, saw the hood plus livery and assumed. So how do you keep track of it all?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

57603oh wrote:

Okay, I got a long one for ya:

Lake State Railway #4302 [GP40-3]

- Built as New York Central [NYC] #3095 in November of 1967. Builder Number 33506
- Became Penn Central [PC] #3095
- Became Conrail [CR] #3095
- Became Kyle Railroad [KYLE] #3114
- Became Helm Locomotive Leasing [HLLX] #3114
- Became Amtrak [AMTK] #653
- Became Helm Locomotive Leasing [HLCX] #653 -> Renumbered to HLCX 4412 -> Renumbered to HLCX 4302
- Became Lake State Railway [LSRC] #4302

8 different owners....and I guaruntee you this isn't the longest out there :lol:

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

MQT3001 wrote:
57603oh wrote:

Okay, I got a long one for ya:

Lake State Railway #4302 [GP40-3]

- Built as New York Central [NYC] #3095 in November of 1967. Builder Number 33506
- Became Penn Central [PC] #3095
- Became Conrail [CR] #3095
- Became Kyle Railroad [KYLE] #3114
- Became Helm Locomotive Leasing [HLLX] #3114
- Became Amtrak [AMTK] #653
- Became Helm Locomotive Leasing [HLCX] #653 -> Renumbered to HLCX 4412 -> Renumbered to HLCX 4302
- Became Lake State Railway [LSRC] #4302

8 different owners....and I guaruntee you this isn't the longest out there :lol:
So how do ya keep track of locomotives over here then? like to find those histories?

This makes our railways look pretty stable :shock:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I don't know who does it, I just find it. There are a lot of websites where you can find that type of info, but here is where I got the LSRC 4302: http://www.thedieselshop.us/

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

MQT3001 wrote:I don't know who does it, I just find it. There are a lot of websites where you can find that type of info, but here is where I got the LSRC 4302: http://www.thedieselshop.us/
*falls over backwards in chair with drop jaw... eyes rolled and fainted*
Other than the 'unstoppable' units, I guess the GP9 is the most rateable of the lot. Thanks for the help here, I'll eventually get there with whats what :wink:

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Locomotives live remarkably long productive lives here in the States, maybe second to ships in the transportation industry. There are tons of locos 50+ years old in everyday revenue and switching service, of course most have been through many overhauls and often many owners. I see 1950's vintage GTW GP9R's on CN here everyday shoving cars in the yard and running locals. They are nearly 60 years old! :shock:

There are huge amounts of information on this topic on the Internet, like the Diesel Shop site MQT gave you, also the Wiki pages on this site. Not to mention the always amazing stuff that people on this board have to offer! Go back thru some of the posts on here and you will get the idea, the members here just are unbelievable in the things that they have knowledge of, many thru first hand personal experience. So feel free to ask questions, lots of wise old owls on here! :)

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Did some walking on the NCIT in Monroeville today and ended up seeing the WLE switch out Berry Plastics.

I was at the US 20 bridge when I got passed by a short WB train that was being pulled by WLE 4003 (AKA "Bo Bo") and had 8 covered hoppers and 6 tanks with WLE 6354 tacked on the end. It went on by at a pretty good clip and I didn't think much of it. Though a little later after I had passed SR 99 I heard a horn and realized that they were still in Monroeville.

When I got to SR 547 I could see that they were working Berry Plastics. I was on the wrong side of the tracks to get any good pics of them switching out the cars, so I just grabbed this one at the crossing and then kept walking down the trail while watching the process through the vegetation. They left the 4003 sitting west of the plant while they were switching, and when they were done they went back east toward Norwalk with 6354 leading and 4003 on the end.