Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

This is all very interesting to read. Makes me miss my college days in Lima when I could go next door and watch the trains day and night. Does Lima Cargil still have that black repowered Alco?
Nick

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Tuesday EB CFE train thru VW with CFE 3883 and IORY 4034 and a whopping 8 cars at 5:40 PM. I gotta believe they run another pair of trains at times. PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

On Friday, May 27 EB CSX grainer through VW around 10:20 AM. It had 2 CSX bright future units on it Too far away to see engine numbers. All hoppers had the new CSX logo on them. I have not seen any other trains going through. I've wondered if something is going on. I have not seen or heard a CFE train in days. They could be running. Do any of you know if their doing something on the line? PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

You just must be missing them. Typically local traffic slows down around a holiday weekend for railroads like the CFE and I&O. Nothing to worry about.

I think you know this, but you realize that was a CFE grain train using CSX locos and cars? There's probably some people on this board not familar with the CFE, that might read your post about an EB CSX grainer and think that CSX has trackage rights for grain trains through Van Wert. They do have rights to run up the old TOC to Spore and the stone quarry.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Midland Sub excellent point. Yes, I know their CFE crews, but you're right others might not. Have to remember that for future reference. PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

A guy over on the Fort Wayne board has a picture of a CFE train sitting on the spur to D&D Agri or close to that name. This is just outside of Delphos, on the old NKP. They occasionally get covered hoppers for there business, sometimes quite a few. The picture is of FEC 505 and one of the exBN units. Said the rest of the train is tied down on the CFE in Delphos. I believe it was on Saturday. Probably get a new crew on the next business day unless it's already gone. PW

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

CFE is a busy shortline. They run 10-12 trains a day. About half that number on the weekends. Your just missing them. Jobs are split 50/50 night/days.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

10 to 12 trains a day? Where? Certainly not around Lima and east toward Crestline...we're lucky to see a pair out toward Crestline (and some days nothing). Unless you're talking local jobs in and around Lima to the P&G plant or to the I&O interchange.

CG Tower
That Guy wrote:CFE is a busy shortline. They run 10-12 trains a day. About half that number on the weekends. Your just missing them. Jobs are split 50/50 night/days.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

EB CFE train through Van Wert around 6:50 PM with CFE 3883 and IORY 4034 and 96 cars. Half a dozen or so cars of steel, 6 Cargill 2 bay covered hoppers, 15-20 box cars, heavy on CSX gons and other gons including CEFX, grainers as usual and Bunge tank brought up the end. Also, I agree with CG Tower 10-12 trains a day would have to be for the whole line including yard jobs. Maybe that is what you meant by 10-12 trains. If not let us in the know. Thanks. PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CG Tower wrote:10 to 12 trains a day? Where? Certainly not around Lima and east toward Crestline...we're lucky to see a pair out toward Crestline (and some days nothing). Unless you're talking local jobs in and around Lima to the P&G plant or to the I&O interchange.

CG Tower
That Guy wrote:CFE is a busy shortline. They run 10-12 trains a day. About half that number on the weekends. Your just missing them. Jobs are split 50/50 night/days.
I think "That Guy" would know what he is talking about
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bnsf8000 wrote:6 Cargill 2 bay covered hoppers,
Anyone know what type of service these are in? I know Cargill had salt plants at one time and the 2-bays would make sense but I thought they got out of the salt business :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

AARR. CG Tower I believe the 10-12 trains a day is definitely possible. Figure 2 between FW and Lima, just say 2 between Lima and Crestline, 2 for FW/ Warsaw, the IHB trains, and Decatur out and back. I'm sure I'm missing ones I may not know about, plus CSX grainers and extra turns, Very possible. That Guy you got me thinking on that one. The 2 bays of Cargill's AARR is something I'd like to know about too. Good question. PW

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Ok, that's a different story, when you talk ACROSS the entire CF&E system...that I would agree. The way it read, however, it sounded as if you could stand at one spot and see 10 to 12 CF&E trains per day.

AARR, since I don't know who "That Guy" is from the next rail-fan or insider, perhaps you could have clarified what he meant instead of treating me like I was off my rocker for my comment.

CG Tower

bnsf8000 wrote:AARR. CG Tower I believe the 10-12 trains a day is definitely possible. Figure 2 between FW and Lima, just say 2 between Lima and Crestline, 2 for FW/ Warsaw, the IHB trains, and Decatur out and back. I'm sure I'm missing ones I may not know about, plus CSX grainers and extra turns, Very possible. That Guy you got me thinking on that one. The 2 bays of Cargill's AARR is something I'd like to know about too. Good question. PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CG Tower wrote:AARR, since I don't know who "That Guy" is from the next rail-fan or insider, perhaps you could have clarified what he meant instead of treating me like I was off my rocker for my comment.
No offense intended :)

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

That Guy would know.... Guys don't over think this, he was talking in number of crew starts per day. FWCH/CHFW, Warsaw job, the Fort Wayne and Lima jobs etc. For example the I&O has around 20 crew starts most days and that results into basically one solid train each way between Delta and Cincy via Wash CH Mon-Fri.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Once again, everyone is missing the point I made...

When you read "The CFE is a busy short line. They run 10 to 12 trains a day.", my UNDER thinking mind went to 10-12 trains past ONE point per day. Normally, someone does not go around quoting crew starts, call times, etc... So, while I am thankful for "That Guy" and his insight, I also don't know him from the next. So, "You All" need to be a bit clearer when you type things! :-)

CG Tower

midland sub wrote:That Guy would know.... Guys don't over think this, he was talking in number of crew starts per day. FWCH/CHFW, Warsaw job, the Fort Wayne and Lima jobs etc. For example the I&O has around 20 crew starts most days and that results into basically one solid train each way between Delta and Cincy via Wash CH Mon-Fri.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

We might not know BNSF 8000 or That guy but what i do know is that i am intrigued by BNSF's detailed reports on what CFE stuff rolls through Van Wert, Middlepoint, Delphos, Lima, Ada etc....This brings another dimension to an area that went unreported before now..So i welcome the reports so i can get a figure of what rolls onto the IORY to my area from where it rolled through BNSF's neck of the woods.
Exit stage left

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Lets see if I can remember what all runs...

WAVA - Warsaw to Valpo
FWCH - FWA to Chicago IHB
CHFW - Chicago IHB to FWA
FWYD - FWA Yard job
FWDC - FWA to Decatur turn
FWWA - FWA to Warsaw turn (and also FWA to Lima turn, atleast at one point.)
LIYD - Lima Cole St Yard job
LIPG - Lima Proctor & Gamble switcher
LIFW or FWLI - Lima to FWA turn, sometimes would run out FWA instead
LIDL - Lima to Delphos Bunge/D&D turn
LICL(?) - Lima to Crestline...can't remember if that was an actual job or not??
Plus Grain Trains--grain empties to Hamlet are GRHA and grain loads to Crestline are GRCL.

These trains don't run every day, this is just an example of the CF&E lineup. But of course that is as of last year when I worked there before I went back to UP. It may have changed by now!

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you MrTops. That helps clear it up for us. I knew there was some I was missing. I believe you may have posted this before on here or somewhere. Easily CFE could have 10-12 crew starts a day. Hey, do you remember what the Cargill 2 bay hoppers are used for now? TIA. PW

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

LICL is run as needed- one of the regular crews can make the run or an extra crew. LIVW is now running 5 days(?) a week to switch Van Wert. Morning have the LIFW running, evenigs LIVW.
The dispatcher is cool.