Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by redside20 »

Tri State Ingredients in Mason Ohio probably gets boxcars
http://www.railamerica.com/IndustryDev/ ... nName=Find a Warehouse or Transload&FacilityID=31
Damewood Warehouse in Urbana could be another
http://www.railamerica.com/IndustryDev/ ... nName=Find a Warehouse or Transload&FacilityID=25

And on top of that There are two huge warehouses on the Southeast side of Fort Wayne that the CFE serves and that Commercial Warehouse and Cartage.
http://www.cwclogon.com/
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The refrigerated boxcars go to the cold storage warehouse on the western edge of Fort Wayne (just past the US 33-I-69 overpass). I would venture most if not all of the boxcar traffic is for RR Donnelly in Warsaw. Unless it's going the places in Lima that redside listed, it's not coming south on the I&O. Tristate in Springfield and the lumber place on the Mason and the new transload on the Oasis Sub traffic usually comes from CN @ Flat Rock. Damewood almost never gets anything anymore since it changed ownership, and when it does it comes from Cincy. Fibersales in Urbana gets the OAR boxes from Cincy. I was told the sales and marketing gerbils for RA are not pushing the CFE-I&O interchange in Lima for new traffic from western connections @ the IHB to avoid issues with the interchange restrictions. But on the flip side they are more than happy to work the Lima connection between the 2 for traffic that originates-terminates online, i.e. Bunge soybeans, P&G and Valero corn shuttles.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub wrote:The refrigerated boxcars go to the cold storage warehouse on the western edge of Fort Wayne (just past the US 33-I-69 overpass). I would venture most if not all of the boxcar traffic is for RR Donnelly in Warsaw. Unless it's going the places in Lima that redside listed, it's not coming south on the I&O. Tristate in Springfield and the lumber place on the Mason and the new transload on the Oasis Sub traffic usually comes from CN @ Flat Rock. Damewood almost never gets anything anymore since it changed ownership, and when it does it comes from Cincy. Fibersales in Urbana gets the OAR boxes from Cincy. I was told the sales and marketing gerbils for RA are not pushing the CFE-I&O interchange in Lima for new traffic from western connections @ the IHB to avoid issues with the interchange restrictions. But on the flip side they are more than happy to work the Lima connection between the 2 for traffic that originates-terminates online, i.e. Bunge soybeans, P&G and Valero corn shuttles.
Just looked it up..The cold storage place on the west side of Fort Wayne is Interstate Cold Storage
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks guys. Interesting reading and its fun to follow the train car movements over the IORY / CFE systems.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Boxes from Interstate Cold Storage get picked up (and dropped off) by the FWCH and taken to the IHB where they are interchanged to BNSF. Usually chicken, carrots, etc. Besides obviously Donnelly being the largest boxcar customer in Warsaw, the second-biggest boxcar customer on the west end is Superior Essex, who makes magnet wire and comm cable. They have a copper rod facility in Columbia City on Essex Siding just west of SDI. They have 6 or 8 loading bays there and can spit out a string of a handful or two of boxcars at a time. They have a trackmobile on site and can load and ship more cars than what they have bays for. Can't remember reporting marks except for GNRR, I know they get those.

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

Does the CF&E own any cabooses or shoving platforms?

Thanks, Roger
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

No they do not at the current time Roger.
caboose9 wrote:Does the CF&E own any cabooses or shoving platforms?

Thanks, Roger

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Thanks MrTops, I didn't know where those GNRR box cars came from. Now I'll have to watch what other reporting marks are in those cuts from Superior Essex. I should a remembered Interstate Cold Storage for the reefers. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Midland, it's that bad on the restrictions that they don't push the connection. Too bad. I really hope NS pushes to buy the Fort Wayne Line from Crestline/Hobart. Maybe I'm dreamin. Thanks for the info guys. :)
PW

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

caboose9 wrote:Does the CF&E own any cabooses or shoving platforms?

Thanks, Roger

How did you know his name was Roger?
Brett

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

His name is on the post. Plus his name and address is in his signature of every post.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Keep dreaming. NS has no reason to buy it when they have trackage rights. Plus why in the world would CSX sell it to them? Railamerica acquired the line for one thing only: to make money serving the online customers and growing it. Same reason Railtex bought the DT&I back in 1997. Not to move CN bridge traffic. There is no money moving bridge traffic in a deregulated rail industry.
bnsf8000 wrote:Thanks MrTops, I didn't know where those GNRR box cars came from. Now I'll have to watch what other reporting marks are in those cuts from Superior Essex. I should a remembered Interstate Cold Storage for the reefers. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Midland, it's that bad on the restrictions that they don't push the connection. Too bad. I really hope NS pushes to buy the Fort Wayne Line from Crestline/Hobart. Maybe I'm dreamin. Thanks for the info guys. :)
PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Midland, got a suprise in Decatur while we were going over to the El Camino Mexican restaurant by Bunge. We're only about 20 miles away here in VW. Those CP/SOO/SOO LINE hoppers are all over at Bunge. I actually drove by again to make sure. Very understanding significant other. My question is do they have to be cleaned before using for grain after potash? Also, could they have had beans loaded from the I&O somewhere? I can't imagine the CFE could have took them somewhere else to be loaded with beans for Bunge. NS buying the Pennsy is my dream. Reality is hopefully the trackage rights will get to be used more substantially in time. Now, about those CP/SOO hoppers/ What do you think or anyone else?

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If they're at Bunge in Decatur, then it's inbound soybeans Bunge bought off of a customer located somewhere on CP. RA isn't going to pay the car hire charges to CP to use cars that brought in potash. There's plenty of the BNGX and CYSX cars floating around the CFE-I&O to use.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:His name is on the post. Plus his name and address is in his signature of every post.

..............right over his head....................
Brett

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB LIFW with either IORY 4034/4036 and IORY 4032 and 33 cars at 11:55 AM through VW. It had 15 grainers up front including a POOl, 4 empty steel flats, 5 tankers, 2 boxes, a few gons and some more grainers including AGP . Rolling through around 35 per.

PW

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

There was an eastbound yesterday coming at Colsan. Pittsburgh West told him he'd follow #170 after he cleared the connection. Since we were returning from an all-nighter, we were too tired but otherwise I would have caught both at North Robinson.
Brett

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

EB FWLI with IORY 4032/4034 and 7 cars. 6 tanks from Bunge and 1 CSX gon. Also, saw NS OCS through Leipsic around 3:15 PM on NKP. Also, went to CSX North Baltimore Intermodal Terminal open house today. Saw CSX Michael Ward and talked to Terminals head today. Was very polite and talkative. Answered all questions. They are very proud of intermodal terminal. What a good day!

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

EB on 6/29 around 5:45PM FWLI with CFE 3882/CORP 4024 and 32 cars. Had 26 grain hoppers from Bunge, 4 flats of steel from SDI and 2 gons. Also, 10 covered hoppers that haul soda ash at VW Terminal. 2 or 3 plastic hoppers out at Continental Structural Plastics and 5 plastics hoppers by Eisenhauer when their needed for CSP.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB LIFW through VW at 11:25AM CORP 4024/ CFE 3882 and 7 cars Had 3 grain cars for Bunge, 3 gons and 1 NOKL box car.

EB FWLI is working in VW and has CFE 3882/ CORP 4024 and 60 cars. They are bringing in 2 or 3 plastic hoppers for CSP and will be bringing back 2 or 3 emptys from there. Also 2 FURX grain hoppers at Scott Equity elevator. So, FWLI will most likely leave town with 62-65 cars depending on what they take from VW. Can't see the actual number of plastic hoppers as 5PM. Of the 60 cars there 7 Cargill 2 bays plus 3 bay salters, 7 tankers, 3 boxes, 3 plastics hoppers upfront as of now and very heavy on grain especially for/from Bunge. Also, has some of the CP/SOO grainers on it.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

At 5:10PM heading EB through Van Wert we had FWLI with CFE 3882/ CORP 4024 and 31 cars. 9 loaded scrap gons, 8 loaded flats of steel, 5 Cargill 2 bay hoppers, 4 tanks, and most of the rest grain cars. There were a few more CP/SOO/SOO LINE grainers at the tail end. There was also a WB train last night- Thursday. No idea what it was. Have a Happy 4th of July! :D

PW