Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by slwapprslw »

alittlevanwerty wrote:CF&E had/has a huge FWLI parked on the westside of Monroeville, In. CFE 3880, CORP 4024 and IORY 4034 with a mile long train was there Saturday when I passed through. Anyone have an idea when they start moving again?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78433701@N ... hotostream
Talking about the trio of engines, here they are from Friday (5-11-12) sitting at Cole Street Yard at Lima.

CFE_Lima-OH_ColeStreetYard_CFE3880-CORP4024-IORY4034_051112-1 by C Telles, on Flickr
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

Clementine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clementine »

PW - our rail used to be 40, but there's been a 25mph restriction on it for at least the last 3 years, and i'd like to think i'm a pretty reliable source since i run on it every day. i can assure you nobody's going 40 or else we all wouldn't be getting so much OT.

NSSD60M - i'm a she, not a he ;)

keep on keepin' on i guess, it is pretty entertaining when we see guys in van wert standing in the middle of traffic almost getting hit trying to get a photo.

can i ask, what is so interesting about listing the stuff we haul every day?

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Hehe major fail on my part for that. My apologies for the ASSumption. Having very seldomly ever been toward the east end of operations to observe and listen in is my excuse for not knowing lol. As for noting and logging commodities, well the thing with railfanning, as with much everything else, everyone has their unique interests. Some are into photographing and video, others are into numbers, car counts, and logging every bit of info they can. Some are into it all. It's a diverse bunch out at trackside.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Clementine wrote:can i ask, what is so interesting about listing the stuff we haul every day?
I am fascinated about the logistics or railraoding. Where things originate, what their destination is, how they get there, why they are shipped in the first place.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Clementine, thanks for joining the board and your insight is much appreciated. The reason I didn't agree was because I still thought it was 40 since the MOW work on the line around Van Wert. I really thought is was that. I'm bad. :oops: You won't see me trackside out of the car, so that's not me. As far as the car counts go and such, that was just something I started doing when the LIFW was going through town very slowly. Even now at 25 mph it's harder to do. Because if I see an older car I love checking out the new reporting marks and its original paint scheme. This CF&E thread I started here is a direct result of the I&O South thread. So you/I can give credit to the I&O South threaders for this thread. :D Simply because they're sister RailAmerica railroads in our area. Never figured it would do so well. Since you're getting so much OT how often are running between Lima/Ft. Wayne? 5-7 days a week? Also, when did the LIVW become a some what normal run? More recently or been one for a long time? I realize you can't tell us alot of stuff but thanks for joining our little group.

Hope you won't mind if alittlevanwerty takes an occasional video of the LIFW/LIVW. Understood what you said about the LIVW video which he did too. Haven't got to meet him yet.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I do my best not to get hit by a car but if one jumps the curb then my hobby just got dangerous. Plus I always make sure I'm on public property, a trespassing charge would be hard to explain to my fiance.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Clementine, people are enthralled by all aspects of railroading, air flight, big ships, etc etc. The list goes on and on, read magazines like Trains which is both a fan magazine and an industry magazine and you can learn a lot about why people find your job so fascinating.

I will admit that to most it seems like a really odd hobby and we are a bunch of loonies but that is the thing, there is a LOT of us out there, far more than you probably even imagine. Being chased by roving bands of Foamers, FRN's and Railfans comes with the territory and people have been doing it for a 100 years or more.

Welcome and thank you for adding your insight.

Clementine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clementine »

PW, the livw is a 5 day job, but it's unpredictable. We used to do Delphos and van wert every other day but we also get grain trains and other jobs as needed. Other jobs run on the same unpredictability really..

I just didn't know if you guys were into all forms of freight or just trains.
I don't think it's all that strange, I used to hop trains before I decided to get paid for it. But that aspect was more for romanticizing travel and freedom than anything. 8)

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

5/17/12. WB LIFW at 10:11PM. In charge were CSX 7611/7333 with 7 cars. 5 box cars, 1 empty steel flat and 1 grain car. Rolling through Van Wert on a good night.

LIVW was in town on Wednesday. Most likely worked the Scott Equity elevator. Don't know if they worked the Continental Structural Plastics on the southside of VW.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

alittlevanwerty, your good. That was quick. I heard it too. 2 LIVW's In 3 days. Saw your RJ Corman/Lima videos too. Good job!

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:LIVW came to town today around 2pm.

http://youtu.be/cr8_m12GP8Y
I enjoy your video's too :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks. I still need to figure out the wind noise but the new tripod helps keep the camera steady. Wasn't able to get it attached to the camera for yesterdays LIVW, wasn't expecting it yet.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Thanks. I still need to figure out the wind noise but the new tripod helps keep the camera steady. Wasn't able to get it attached to the camera for yesterdays LIVW, wasn't expecting it yet.
I like the wind noise, seriously I do :) IMO it adds to the feel of being there otherwise it would seem to pristine and contrived.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I loved how the one RJ Corman shot, the camera shook from the weight of the train.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:Thanks. I still need to figure out the wind noise but the new tripod helps keep the camera steady. Wasn't able to get it attached to the camera for yesterdays LIVW, wasn't expecting it yet.
I like the wind noise, seriously I do :) IMO it adds to the feel of being there otherwise it would seem to pristine and contrived.
If it doesn't have an obstruction, wind noise, or shaking due to the train, I ain't watchin! Photography needs to be more perfect "per frame" because all you have is that frame. Video needs to be alive: 90% of the time humans view trains there is SOME obstruction or wind noise ringing in their ears. For me, video should make you feel like you are THERE. If I wanted to see trains, I'd look in a book. If I want to be a railfan, I want to feel like I'm there. I WANT to see the WHOLE train, even if its a 100 car grain train or auto rack. Maybe one car in the lot gets you to think...you never know until you view
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: If it doesn't have an obstruction, wind noise, or shaking due to the train, I ain't watchin!
Take a look at most of your professionally done videos and tell me you see shaking, wind noise, etc.

Practice Safe CSX

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: If it doesn't have an obstruction, wind noise, or shaking due to the train, I ain't watchin!
Take a look at most of your professionally done videos and tell me you see shaking, wind noise, etc.

Practice Safe CSX
The professional videos with or without the overdubbed sound?

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

5/21/12. WB LIFW at 10:40PM. In charge were CFE 3880/ CORP 4024 with around 94 cars. The train was heavy on Bunge grain traffic with 46 grain cars AEX, BNGX, CSYX, FURX, 18 or so MTY steel flats 2-3 bulkheads and the rest TTX steel flats, at least 15 Cargill salt hoppers, 7 gons, 6 box cars and 1 CSX ballast hopper and 1 coil car.

This afternoon LIVW was in Van Wert and came in with CFE 3880/ CORP 4024 and 10 soda ash hoppers. Left town back to Lima with approx. 13 cars. 10 soda ash hoppers: almost all FMLX and 3 plastics hoppers: 2 ACFX and 1 NAHX. Most likely worked the VW Terminal before coming into VW.

Still 15 grain cars at the Scott Equity: one of the normal shuttle cars sets

LIFW has been going through town regularly. As usual hearing but not seeing them.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

LIVW 5-21-12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5wMvlEuZ8

I finally got CORP 4024 in one of my videos. Soon enough I'll get a shot of them at every crossing in town.