Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by AARR »

I enjoy following your posts bnsf8000 :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

I enjoy doing it AARR. You're only getting a glimpse of the CFE. My reports are almost all from around Van Wert and immediate surrounding area. I miss alot of the trains through VW. The one I noticed alot more is the Van Wert Turn, LIVW. Just last night, they served the VW Terminal it is up 21 soda ash hoppers now. They are on both siding tracks. A question for anyone. Where do the soda ash hoppers come from loaded? CSX or I&O in Lima or possibly NS in Lima. Or do they come from Ft Wayne way via IHB or NS in the Fort? Have not got the answer on that. Also, CF&E East if you have any info on east of Lima put it on here. i know there might not be as much traffic that way. but give us what you have. :) I've actually wondered if we need a Indiana CF&E thread. We do get alot of info from Indiana on this thread. Just remember, I'm a railfan so if any of my info is wrong. Correct me. I'm here to learn as much as to report. My car counts sometimes maybe off 1 or so if I start checking certain cars or reporting marks. :D

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Let's think out loud about the soda ash traffic. Most if not all of the soda ash comes from western states. We know the soda ash is for Anchor Hocking in Winchester. So we can eliminate anything to do with it coming from CSX @ Lima- why wouldn't CSX just deliver it themselves? The soda ash Anchor gets at their Lancaster plant comes via NS to Columbus from a source on BNSF. Possible it comes from NS maybe? If so, it's going to be Fort Wayne and not Lima- why take it to Bellevue and then back to Lima? Fairly certain it's not coming from the I&O as it would need to move via CN @ Flat Rock. I would say we're safe to venture it's coming from BNSF or even UP via the IHB. Don't be surprised if CSX decides they want the want the business back and works out a better rate for Anchor.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Let's think out loud about the soda ash traffic. Most if not all of the soda ash comes from western states. We know the soda ash is for Anchor Hocking in Winchester. So we can eliminate anything to do with it coming from CSX @ Lima- why wouldn't CSX just deliver it themselves? The soda ash Anchor gets at their Lancaster plant comes via NS to Columbus from a source on BNSF. Possible it comes from NS maybe? If so, it's going to be Fort Wayne and not Lima- why take it to Bellevue and then back to Lima? Fairly certain it's not coming from the I&O as it would need to move via CN @ Flat Rock. I would say we're safe to venture it's coming from BNSF or even UP via the IHB. Don't be surprised if CSX decides they want the want the business back and works out a better rate for Anchor.
I understand you are trying to reason a logical path and I know you know your stuff. But I did laugh becuase you and I both know sometimes rail cars, especially car load stuff, does not always take the route that makes the most sense :lol: There was just an article in Trains Mag about intermodal traffic from the midstates that can get better rates going west by backtracking to Chicago then west rather than starting from Minneapolis or St. Paul :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB LIFW through Van Wert at 11:15 AM with CORP 4024/CFE 3882 and 9 grain hoppers. Some CP/SOO, CEFX, INTX, NOKL and the patched D&H grainer that has been going back and forth with some of the CP/SOO grainers. Figured it would be very light after the holiday.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

EB FWLI through Elida, OH at 3:25 PM with CFE 3882/ CORP 4024 and 21 cars. It had 2 or 3 gons, 6 or 7 tankers and pretty much the rest was Cargill salt hoppers plus a few private owners ones. about 3 Cargill 2 bays and the rest of the hoppers on the train were Cargill 3 bay salters. Heavy on salt hoppers. There were plenty of CP/Soo/Soo Line covered hoppers in the CFE Lima yard. Quite a few cars in the yard and west of the yard were more CP/SOO/Soo Line hoppers today in Lima. Caught the local coming home from Lima.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/7/11. We had EB FWLI through Van Wert at 8:55PM. Leading the way were TP&W 4056/ IORY 4034 and 52 cars. Around 5 or 6 box cars, 3 or 4 gons, 8 or so tankers, 3 or 4 loads of steel, 1 OMYA plastics hopper and very heavy on Bunge grain hoppers: BNGX, AEX, FURX, CSYX and some others. Saw a CORP red/gray RA geep engine over at Marion, IN yesterday. Couldn't see roadnumber.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Saw what most likely was IORY 4034/ CFE 3882 out on the old NKP outside of Delphos. They were tied up out at D&D Agri SW out of Delphos off the CFE main. Plenty of grain cars at D&D Agri. It would be interesting to know how many cars D&D Agri receives per year. I'm not positive on those locos because they were too far away from any of the roads right around there. Needed binoculars. :)

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

EB train on CFE through VW. CSX 8137/654/7624 and 84 grain hoppers. All of the grainers were AEX [The Andersons]. It went through at 10:05PM. Still 4 FURX grainers at Scott Equity and 5 plastics hoppers there also that are for Continental Structural Plastics on the southside of town on the remant of the Cincinnati Northern.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/11/11. WB LIFW at 12 noon through VW with CORP 4024/ IORY 4032 and 38 cars. It had 5 boxes, 2 tanks, 2 gons, and the rest were grainers for Bunge. Also, were 3 CP?SOO grainers and 2 DME,1 BNSF, BN grainer.

EB FWLI at 5:10PM with IORY 4032/ CORP 4024 and 25 cars. Including 2 gons, 6 Cargill 2 bay salt hoppers, 13 grain cars-2 DME and 4 former coal hoppers [ 1 UP, 2 BN and 1 former UP with CTRN reporting marks].

PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Some people may find these CF&E trains uninteresting but I enjoy the updates.

One of my favorite MI trains was the old CMGN when they would come into durand with 75+ cars and back the whole thing in the yard. Then when leaving, they would have to back to clear the switch to Bay City with another 75+ car train.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/13/11 WB CFE train LIFW at 4:30PM. Leading this charge were IORY 4034/ CFE 3882 and 47 cars. The train had 5 gons, 3 coil cars all CSX and one open gon with coils [NYC/CSX], 2 empty flats and 37 grain cars. Most of them if not all for Bunge with normal [RM] BNGX, AEX, CSYX and FURX.

Haven't seen a 6 axle engine on CFE through VW in quite some time. Has been said in the past only 4 axle can go south of town to CSP. Really, there is no reason for 6 axle power from Crestline to Hobart. If there are any grades they are definitely very minor. Still, it would be nice to see some IORY 6 axle power or the exSP tunnel motors again/may have went through when no one is watching. :) Plus, they are much better utilized on the IORY with the undulating terrain. Have saw some huge trains on the CFE with 4 axle power in the past . Anywhere from 125 to 167 cars with 2 engines. They can get good enough track speed with the engines. There's no big hurry.

AARR, in Lima they have at times backed some large cuts in the yard. Normally they can just pull in/through the yard by St. RT 309. Back smaller cuts to build trains or breakup.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

WB through Van Wert at 1:12 PM. LIFW with CFE 3886/IORY 4036 and 78 cars. 18 grain cars for Bunge on the headend and 30 more throughout the train. It had 18 loaded gons, 3 empty steel flats, 1 tank and 1 plastics hopper.

Midland, there are also 3 more Cargill hoppers at Scott Equity elevator in VW along with 2 NAHX , 1 FURX and 1 AEX grain hoppers. Maybe a few more loads for Bloomingburg?

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Also today 7/14/11 EB CFE train FWLI through VW with IORY 4036/CFE3886 and 41 cars. It had 9 box, 6 coil, 4 Cargill salt, 3 gons 3 tanks and the rest grain cars. Went through around 6:30PM. The WB through VW is on above post.

PW

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

There is no grades West of Fort Wayne? The 15,000 ton trains coming out of the IHB don't need 6 axels? huh..Guess I better pay more attention.... :o

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They won't be getting any of the I&O's junk six axle power anytime soon. The I&O just barely makes due with 10 they have.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Hey, That Guy I should have said I haven't seen any IORY or exSP tunnel motors through Van Wert for awhile. Yes, we do have CSX 6 axle power on grain trains. Did have UP 6 axle power on a grain train some months back. I have no idea what you're talking about on the 15,000 ton trains. I haven't been up near the IHB so I definitely wouldn't know about that. Just saying it's pretty rare through VW to see 6 axle power on the local anymore. Saw IORY 4002 at the I&O office in Lima recently.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/19/11. WB CFE train at 11:04PM, LIFW with IORY 4034/CFE 3882 leading charge and 44 cars. The train had 17 CP/SOO/DME/FMLX grain/potash cars on the headend. It had 10 gons, 5 empty steel flats, 3 boxes, 3 plastic hoppers which should be for CSP in Van Wert and 6 grain hoppers for Bunge. Plastics hoppers are also sitting by Eisenhauer MFG for CSP in VW. The trains are starting to come through at night again. Don't know if they are having trackwork done during the day or not. Have heard it rumored but nothing I can confirm or deny. May just be when they are getting crews called. Stay cool everybody! :)

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/20/11. WB LIFW with CSX 7755/4737 and CFE3886/ IORY 4036 and 108 cars. Was going no more than 10mph through and outside of Van Wert at 4:30PM. I'm figuring their going 10 mph because of possible sun kinks because of the extreme heat. Last night's train rolled right through town see above post. The CFE train was very heavy with grain hoppers including BNGX, CSYX, AEX, FURX, HMBX, NDYX, RUSX with quite a few for Bunge. It had 4 empty steel flats for SDI, 4 NOKL coil cars, 3 box and 2 tanks. Plus, 1 pink NAHX grainer and an ex DRGW grainer. The CSX engines may very well be for Hamlet, IN or Bunge in Decatur, IN for a grain train. Plus, the last 77 cars were a mix of grainers so that could also be the grain train. Let me know if it's elsewhere. :)

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/24/11. EB CFE train FWLI through Van Wert at 8:10PM. Leading were IORY 4036/CFE 3886 and 46 cars. Included in the consist were 15 loaded steel flats from SDI, 7 boxes, 15-18 gons and about a half dozen grain hoppers.

Also, out at the VW Terminal there were more wind turbine motors. I don't know when these came in, but most likely in the last week. There were also 14-15 soda ash hoppers there.

Still 5 loaded plastics hoppers by Eisenhauer for CSP. There were about 10 grain hoppers at Scott Equity including the 3 Cargill's.

PW