Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

4/20/12. WB CF&E train LIFW at around 9PM just east of Scott's Crossing between Lima and Delphos by St. Rt. 309. Leading the train were CSX 5924/9014/IORY 4034 with around 41 cars give or take. Had 20 or so MTY steel flats, 1-2 box cars, 10 or so gons and 10 or so tank cars for Bunge. Trains really creep along 309.

4/21/12. LIVW is in Van Wert as I post this with CFE 3886 and 18 cars. It has 16 grain cars for Scott Equity: Cargill: CGAX, MWCX, FURX, NOKL among others and 2 ACFX plastics hoppers for CSP. There are 6 plastics hoppers at the Scott Equity right now: 3 NAHX and 1 ACFX and 2 EPTX so 8 total. One lonely AEX grain car is getting the company of 16 more.

Nice little grain shuttle going for CF&E/I&O between VW and points south.

Went by the I&O yard office while we were in Lima and CFE 3884 was parked by the office.

Been hearing the trains go through Van Wert day/night but not catching them. But they're running.

Also, those IANR/GNRR box cars are in the CFE Cole St. yard in Lima, also west of there on the westside of Cable Rd. . Plus, they're also just east of Delphos on the siding where they normally put Bunge grain cars. Have to see how long they'll be hanging around Lima and vicinity.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I saw the 4-21 livw but didn't have my camera in the car. I keep missing the opportunity to get my video so I bought a second camera to always keep in the car.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

4/23/12. WB LIFW through Van Wert at 11:40AM. In charge were CSX 5924/9014 with 43 cars. Upfront had 4 FMLX covered hoppers followed by 4 coil cars IHB mostly 6-8 gons, 6 or so tank cars and the rest pretty much grain cars for Bunge.

This afternoon the FWLI went through around 5:20PM.

Loading the latest bunch grain cars at the Scott Equity today.

PW

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

bnsf8000 wrote:4/23/12. WB LIFW through Van Wert at 11:40AM. In charge were CSX 5924/9014 with 43 cars. Upfront had 4 FMLX covered hoppers followed by 4 coil cars IHB mostly 6-8 gons, 6 or so tank cars and the rest pretty much grain cars for Bunge.

This afternoon the FWLI went through around 5:20PM.

Loading the latest bunch grain cars at the Scott Equity today.

PW
You sure it was CSX 5924? That's a B36-7 that's been retired for several years...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops, I'll have to see if I see the unit again. It wouldn't surprise me if I got it wrong. That's because I thought CSX 9014 was 4019 until today. Maybe I missed both of the numbers. :lol: At least I corrected one of them. Oh well. And no it wasn't a B36-7, but that would have been cool! I turned 50 this year and see what's happening. :D I looked at the roster and I'll go with CSX 5294 for now. LOL :D

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

4/27/12. LIVW was in Van Wert today. It was CFE 3883 with at least some plastics and a few grain hoppers. It worked the CSP and also the Scott Equity elevator. When they were getting ready to leave VW for Lima they had 21 cars to take back: 17 grain cars all loads and 4 empty plastics hoppers.

At last check there were 10 soda ash hoppers at the Van Wert Terminal. The LIVW could've worked it today.

The S. Shannon St. new crossing signals and gates are up today. The old crossing signals are gone. Hopefully, our VW Couny Historical Society will get one. Bill has been on them trying to get one.

There are now 4 grain cars at Scott Equity along with 5 plastics hoppers: 2 NAHX, 1 ACFX and 2 EPTX which one is an ex-ACFX.

Trains continuing to go through VW but I'm missing them.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

5/2/12. WB CFE train LIFW at 9:48PM. In the lead CFE 3883/IORY 4036 with 33 cars. It had 6 FMLX covered hoppers upfront picked up from Van Wert Terminal, 11 grain cars: AEX, CSYX, FURX, NOKL FMLX, 5 MTY steel flats, 5 tank cars: Bunge traffic, 2 gons, 2 plastics hoppers: 1 Procor and 1 CRIX?, 1 box car and 1 coil car.

Still 8 soda ash hoppers at the VW Terminal.

Scott Equity has 4 grain cars: 2 FURX, 1 MWCX and 1 HMBX. There also still 5 plastics hoppers at the Scott Equity for CSP: 2 NAHX, 2 EPTX and 1 ACFX.

The LIFW/FWLI has been rolling through town regularly: hearing but not seeing them. Running through day or Night.

5/1/12. After noon EB CSX grain train with CSX hoppers through Van Wert. Had 3 CSX 6 axle units upfront and even an ADM grain car in the mix. Too faraway for unit numbers. Rolled right through VW at track speed 35-40 mph.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

5/3/12. LIVW is in Van Wert at 12:25PM as I post this. It brought in town around 12 cars with IORY 4034 doing the honors. Looks like about 6 grain cars and 6 plastics hoppers. This will go with the 4 grain cars and 5 plastics hoppers already here. Looks like they will service CSP on the southside of VW and also serve Scott Equity before leaving town back to Lima as VWLI.

PW

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

It will still be LIVW going back to Lima. None of the trains change symbols enroute. There's also not an FWLI and LIFW. There's one or the other, depending on where it is based out of, but not both. When I worked there, it's origin changed back and forth between Lima and Ft. Wayne. If it's based out of Lima, it's LIFW (and will turn back to Lima as LIFW, with the same crew unless they hog). Same goes if it's based out of Ft. Wayne, except it will run as FWLI.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the correct info Mr. Tops. I'm actually not sure where I came up with that. I believe I just started flipping them myself. It's easier to just have a LIFW from Liima and back etc. Please add anything you think of that helps out. I'm just a railfan interested in the local railroads. Your help is greatly appreciated! May as well get it right while I'm doing it. :D

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Great job on the videos alittlevanwerty! Glad you have a video camera. Brings alot more to this thread! Keepin' comin'! I nominate you the CF&E video coordinator. :D I may have saw you at the N. Wall St crossing in Van Wert just as the LIVW stopped to throw the switch for the old Cincinnati Northern spur. Didn't have time to talk then. Maybe next time. Great job!

PW

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Thanks for posting the videos! I miss working there, but I DON'T miss working there! :lol: Brings back memories though, seeing the elevator at Delphos, squeezing through VanWert enroute to Contiental and the VanWert Terminal. Always loved the old SBD horn on 4034, except it being loud as F#$% in the cab! Although I didn't work that side often, as I was a FWA guy, worked mainly the west end. I worked LIYD a few times and also FWLI a few times when it was running out of FWA...or maybe it was an FWEX? I can't remember, but it did afford me the chance to work all the customers east of FWA...Scott Equity, VanWert Terminal, Continental, Delphos Bunge, Delphos D&D, Cargill in Lima and the others I can't remember. :) Good times.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Well at last I got my LIVW videos. I was just west of the Cole Street yard train hunting when I heard the horn blast. Once I saw the cars I tow I knew it was the LIVW.
Thanks for shwoing the whole train!

Would you know who gets the OMYA covered hoppers? I think they originate out east at a crushed limestone plant

In the 2nd vid, is that the soda ash transload?

In the 3rd vid did you see the ant cross your lens :lol:

Ok, it looks like the OMYA covered hopper went to the plastics plant which is a mystery to me because I thought they carry crushed limestone or somwthing like that :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Yes, the OMYA cars go to Contiental Structural Plastics in Vanwert. I forget what they make there, but I want to say they make buckets? Maybe someone else knows. Here's a quick rundown of OMYA for you, Don; "OMYA is a producer of industrial minerals, mainly fillers and pigments derived from calcium carbonate, and a worldwide distributor of chemical products. The company's major markets are paper, plastics, coatings and adhesives."

His second video is the Bunge elevator in Delphos. The elevator itself is behind the crossing gate. Not nearly as large as the complex in Decatur, IN.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

5/4/12. EB CSX grain train around 7:30-8PM just west of Elida on the CF&E. Leading the grain train were CSX 401/5364/5203. All grain cars were the new CSX logo. Looked like a 65 car grainer not a 90 car. Was only going 10-15 mph along St. RT. 309 west of Elida/Lima. Wonder if they will upgrade the track along there this year? Been that way for awhile. CFE 3884 was still by the I&O yard office this evening. Does anyone know if it is running in/around Lima? Or is it OOS? Was hoping to see it on the CF&E once again.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you, I really enjoy going out to film them.

Yes I saw the bug when I viewed the video and I glad it didn't ruin the whole video.

You probably did see me at Wall street, the shot I took there was over 7 minutes. I forgot to get a zoom on the Pennsy signals that I was surprised to see actually working.

I'm not actually sure what they were transloading.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mr. Tops wrote:Yes, the OMYA cars go to Contiental Structural Plastics in Vanwert. I forget what they make there, but I want to say they make buckets? Maybe someone else knows. Here's a quick rundown of OMYA for you, Don; "OMYA is a producer of industrial minerals, mainly fillers and pigments derived from calcium carbonate, and a worldwide distributor of chemical products. The company's major markets are paper, plastics, coatings and adhesives."

His second video is the Bunge elevator in Delphos. The elevator itself is behind the crossing gate. Not nearly as large as the complex in Decatur, IN.
Thanks Tops. OMYA is a significant source of traffic for Green Moutain or Vermont Railways or whatever they call themselves these days.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

So Did anyone happen to see the CSX powered FWLI parked west of Van Wert all day?

I was heading to Ft Wayne, just got past 224 when I saw it ( still moving) so I whirled around and hauled butt back to town to catch it cross the diamond. Of course as soon as I have the cameras set up, off go the ditch lights. The taxi had come and away went the crew, leaving an unstaffed running train. I had things to do so I figured it had long gone by the time I was back home but soon after I heard the horn and at least had time to run to the crossing at Franklin street. Wish they had SD40-2s instead of GE but always cool to see 6 axles roll by.

So 2 Questions:
Why are they using CSX power?
What is in the CLSX hoppers? I caught some being moved by NS on a spur today also. (video posted in Indiana board)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQuiX62 ... e=youtu.be