Maumee & Western 6-1-10

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Maumee & Western 6-1-10

Unread post by railohio »

I broke some new ground chasing the Maumee & Western yesterday. I shot them arriving in Defiance, something I hadn't seen for a number of years. The left Napoleon about 10:00a with 30 cars, mostly boxcars with a couple reefers, and arrived in Defiance a little before 2:00p.

The rest of the photos from the day are available on flickr.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Maumee & Western 6-1-10

Unread post by Y@ »

Nice shots Brian. I was going to head over to Defiance to get their arrival, but something came up at the last minute that I had to go take care of.
Bottom text.

railohio

We understand, Y@. She looks like she'd be worth it, too!

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Nicely done Brian! Those first two (MAW in the woods and opposite leans in the yard) are my favorites of the bunch. More great MAW coverage! One of these days when I can get out of work I'm gonna have to come down and join you for some MAW "chasing". :)

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

railohio wrote:We understand, Y@. She looks like she'd be worth it, too!
HA... Good guess, but not the reason! :P
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

30 cars! How can a railroad that handles 30 cars on less than 50 miles of track not have the money to fix up their track better than what MAW does :?

I never thought I'd see track in worse shape than SweetLine than WMI but the proof is in the MAW pictures
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio

First, since the Maumee & Western receives loads they get a smaller diversion of the rate than if they originated loads. Second, if they pocket the money as profit instead of reinvesting it, nothing gets rebuilt. That's been the way of this railroad since Norfolk & Western days.

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

AARR wrote:30 cars! How can a railroad that handles 30 cars on less than 50 miles of track not have the money to fix up their track better than what MAW does :?

I never thought I'd see track in worse shape than SweetLine than WMI but the proof is in the MAW pictures

I'll respond with a name: Spencer Wendelin

Look it up...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Loco_Engr wrote:
AARR wrote:30 cars! How can a railroad that handles 30 cars on less than 50 miles of track not have the money to fix up their track better than what MAW does :?

I'll respond with a name: Spencer Wendelin

Look it up...
Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol:
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
Loco_Engr wrote:
Look it up...
Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol:
And for those who might not have heard about this the first time around:

"Watch Your Language: C&NC Railroad

What happened:

“Rail Cars Have Towns Singing Freight-Train Blues” blares the headline in The Wall Street Journal, Monday, February 23, 2009 (page 1, jumps to A12). It seems that, with the huge slowdown in the economy, there’s also a slowdown in the need for rail cars. Most railroads have few places to store extra cars except on sidings spread all across America, for example, the small town of New Castle, Indiana. The train tracks often run within 25 feet of homes. Now those tracks are filled with empty, seemingly abandoned rail cars and the neighbors aren’t happy.

What C&NC said:

The WSJ contacted Spencer Wendelin, an executive with C&NC Railroad, who, according to the news article, has “little sympathy for the angry residents.” “The railroad, I’ll guarantee you, was there a long time before they bought their houses,” he [Wendelin] says.

The WSJ notes that “some folks have begun to worry that some of the rail cars appear to be listing and might tip over.” To which, according to The WSJ, Mr. Wendelin dismissed the fears as “completely unfounded concerns, based on both history and physics.”

Pressed for some kind of answer about the cars, which were becoming targets for vandals and roaming children and adults, and upon being asked when the cars were to be moved, Mr. Wendelin was quoted as saying, “If you can tell me when the economy is going to turn around, then I can give you an answer to that question.”

It appears to be no more Mr. Nice Guy for the town of New Castle, Indiana."
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

So they managed to take 30 cars down the line without the world's slowest derailment? I'm impressed!