Active steam in Columbus, Ohio today!?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Active steam in Columbus, Ohio today!?

Unread post by strugglin »

I'm new and this is my first post but I've been an avid railfan since birth and I'm now 29 years old.

That being said, I know you guys will tell me I'm crazy, but I saw a trail of smoke, but no actual locomotives or cars, come through Scioto Junction heading north on the CSX Main around 5 PM today as I was stuck in traffic on 670 West downtown. I tried to follow it up 315 North, but the traffic was gridlock and I just could not catch up to it, chased it as far as Worthington to the Depot Conference Center off Old Henderson Road with no luck.

I immediately called my brother who lives in Cleveland who told me it had to be a diesel with a blown turbo because there is no way there would be any active steam on CSX, but I'm still skeptical with my years of chasing steam excursions, it was a whole lot of smoke, I could clearly see it from the freeway.

So, I'd like to hear from anyone in Marion or Fostoria who may have seen this train a few hours after to me to confirm exactly what it was. If it was a diesel with a blown turbo, so be it, but I'd really like to know. I'm just beside myself because if it had been any other time of day besides rush hour, I would have easily been able to speed up 315 North and get ahead of it. Now I'm left to wonder, unless someone can confirm it.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Re: Active steam in Columbus, Ohio today!?

Unread post by LSRC »

I'm pretty sure it was a diesel with a blown turbo or something. I think CSX has adopted a "no steam" policy...or at least running steam, so the chances of steam running would be slim to none. Plus, I think we would have all heard about it, I think.

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

You never know, Ohio Central(or whatever it is now) has trackage rights over CSX in Columbus to get to the NS yard. They can use what ever power they like to move THEIR train.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I doubt it. Ohio Central is a Genesee & Wyoming property now.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Yup, OC is Genesee & Wyoming (another RailAmerica type ) and the steam engines weren't part of the deal. They were retained by Mr. Jacobson.
Another possiblity was that is was the 1293 or which ever from Mr. Jacobson's collection on a visit to the Cuyhoga ? Valley RR.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.