Q132 happenings...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

Q132 happenings...

Unread post by MDH »

As a note, Q132 had been pretty variable on time through Toledo but generally the last couple years came by Stanley early AM and typically with UP power (although occasionally CSX). Lately, it seems to be a pretty reliable late afternoon/early evening train (coming through between 4-8PM) and the last few times I saw it, aside from being short, it always seems to have CSX power. Here's a recent shot right after work (@5:10PM) at Oregon Rd with 88 axles (per detector) and 12 of them are the two GEVO's leading:

Not sure if this is a change in policy (stripping the UP units) or just chance that I've only caught CSX powered trains the last 3-4 times when it used to be almost exclusively UP run through units. Anyway, just a note of reference that catching this train in Toledo has become more of an evening affair. Now I just need to try to get an evening shot up in North Toledo in decent light... :wink:

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Q132 happenings...

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Reason it has been having CSX units lately has to do with the economy. Q132 comes from Mexico City on the KCSM, handed over to UP at Port Laredo, TX. When there is enough traffic to warrant it, UP train ZMXDT will run direct to Salem and get handed off to CSX (generally with the UP power staying on). As of late, and with the lack of traffic to warrant it, ZMXDT has not been running and the traffic added to ZMXYC (to Yard Center in Chicago). ZMXYC makes the set-out for Q132 at Salem, and CSX is left to supply their own power.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:Reason it has been having CSX units lately has to do with the economy. Q132 comes from Mexico City on the KCSM, handed over to UP at Port Laredo, TX. When there is enough traffic to warrant it, UP train ZMXDT will run direct to Salem and get handed off to CSX (generally with the UP power staying on). As of late, and with the lack of traffic to warrant it, ZMXDT has not been running and the traffic added to ZMXYC (to Yard Center in Chicago). ZMXYC makes the set-out for Q132 at Salem, and CSX is left to supply their own power.
Not sure where you think CSX is required to supply the power for the train. For a long time the trouble with Q132 was the fact that it was part of the ZMXYC and when it got to Salem, no power was available to run the train. CSX didn't send additional units, its the UP's responsibity to deliver the interchange train intact with power. That being said, it usually wound up with the bottom of the barrel as far as UP power goes. Oftentimes, it would get CN power that was 'laid over' in Salem from the CN train that came into Salem from Kinmundy. Now its pretty much guaranteed UP SD70M's (blech - from a crew and railfan standpoint).

In fact, CSX has the right to refuse the train if the power doesn't meet their specifications. Just as the UP has the right to reject any train CSX offers them (and they have). Actually, that goes for any and all railroads. They have the right to refuse an interchange train, but they better have a very good reason.

Things got considerably better once ZMXDT was started, at least the train ran on some 'general' schedule, or at least within a few hours. Its planned daily out of Salem for 1300 with Q374 scheduled around 1330. Of course it can move up or back depending on how the train is doing.

My guess is the UP has just snagged some CSX motors from any one of the trains that head to Salem from CSX daily. Seems to be the same units making the cycle, so once UP gets them, they just turn them back to avoid acruing additional HP hours to CSX. I'm surprised the train didn't run with more of a dedicated mix of CSX and UP power for that very reason. Q106/107 run with a mix of CSX and KCS power sets to avoid any one side of the party owing, or being owed, housepower hours. I had Q106/107 on several occasions late in 2007, and in all three seperate incidents I had the same CSX power set (still had my signatures in the daily inspection book).

On the return, Q131 has been getting earlier and earlier as of late. Used to be that the train wouldn't arrive in Toledo until 0001 or 0100, with an 0600 to 0700 arrival in Indy. Now its getting out of Toledo between 2200 and 2300, and arriving around 0400 to 0500 in Indianapolis. *If* you are lucky, Q218 is sneaking into Stanley Yard as Q131 recrews and heads south as soon as they clear. Gives you a straight shot down the Toledo Branch with no meets.

Practice Safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I worded that badly...CSX power usually comes off Q131. So, in essence, CSX is supplying their own power. :wink:

CSX 5240 from the posted picture showed as making the Q131/Q132 trip (but not going past Salem). Considering ZMXDT/ZDTMX haven't been running lately: when Q131 comes onto UP, CSX power is taken off at Salem, and the train combined with ZYCMX for the remainder of the trip south. Then when the next ZMXYC comes north, the CSX set-out is done at Salem, the CSX units added, and departs for CSX as Q132.

If the CSX units disappear from Salem, then UP units will be used. When ZMXDT/ZDTMX run, UP unitsmake a MX-DT-MX turn. When they don't run, CSX units make a DT-SM-DT turn.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Thanks for all the follow up info - explains what's been going on with that train (that I've seen up here). :D

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO