Norfolk Southern yard ops in Columbus

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Norfolk Southern yard ops in Columbus

Unread post by redside20 »

Just to let you guys know, all NS yard operations have been transferred over to Watkins Yard from Buckeye. I went over the yard yesterday and the place was abuzz witha activity. I was scouting out the area for any available photo ops and will have them posted and everything else i have taken photos of at a later date. Ohio Central picks up and sets out at Watkins as well. Camp Chase railroad picks up its cars at Buckeye still.
Exit stage left

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Norfolk Southern yard ops in Columbus

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Camp Chase? Where does that line run?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

trainjunkie47 wrote:Camp Chase? Where does that line run?
Hi

The Camp Chase Industrial Railroad is a switching line in Southwest Columbus that operates 10 miles of former NYC Big Four line from Columbus to Lilly Chapel Ohio. Customers include Conagra, Marathon oil depot, plastics plant, the elevator at Lilly Chapel proper and others.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The Camp Chase Industrial Railroad is a switching line in Southwest Columbus that operates 10 miles of former NYC Big Four line from Columbus to Lilly Chapel Ohio. Customers include Conagra, Marathon oil depot, plastics plant, the elevator at Lilly Chapel proper and others.
Sounds like a busy little shortline. Wish we had more like this in MI.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

like to see one in nw ohio too

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The Maumee & Western would be a decent opportunity - but ownership changes would be required first. The Indiana Northeastern seems to do things well. As for the I&O I think it's another opportunity but I'm not sure if Fortress/RailAmerica knows what they have....
esprrfan wrote:like to see one in nw ohio too

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As for the I&O I think it's another opportunity but I'm not sure if Fortress/RailAmerica knows what they have....
The challenge for IORY is it's a line that was designed for bridge traffic and now it depends on local traffic. They're doing a decent job of it but because they the former DT&I lines have little large business on its line it will always be difficult.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'll agree with that, but I figured that there'd be more synergies with between the I&O and the CF&E for starters.
Don Simon wrote:
As for the I&O I think it's another opportunity but I'm not sure if Fortress/RailAmerica knows what they have....
The challenge for IORY is it's a line that was designed for bridge traffic and now it depends on local traffic. They're doing a decent job of it but because they the former DT&I lines have little large business on its line it will always be difficult.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'll agree with that, but I figured that there'd be more synergies with between the I&O and the CF&E for starters.
Hmm, haven't given that angle much thought. There's some detergent exchanged between the two that goes to a large plant in or near Lima. Scrap metal from Alma (not much though). I'm sure there's more but like you said it may not have grown as much as it could (or we would like).

NorfolkSouthern
Railroadfan...fan

Say No to Harmful Legislation – RR Antitrust Enforcement Act

Unread post by NorfolkSouthern »

America, we’re in rail trouble now. What could park more cars and locomotives than the recession? Congress could. On Tuesday, June 2, the Senate is scheduled to vote on legislation that could be very harmful to rail operations. Write Congress today and tell them we need to keep the freight trains moving America. We’ve made it quick and easy to help. Just go to our Legislative Action Center.
http://www.congressweb.com/cweb4/index.cfm?orgcode=ns

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Is that Norfolk Southern as in NS? Do they actually care about railroadfan.com? Hmmmmmmm.....
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

UKFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UKFan »

Hey guys

Is Columbus a great place to see trains in Ohio? I am staying with a friend in Newark, Ohio next year, and am looking for all the best places in Ohio to see your railroads.

Cheers

Andy
UK

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

This has made me the saddest railfan in Columbus. I live right off 5th Ave. near the crossing and the Scioto Trestle. I used to love cathing the Ohio Central local coming out of Buckeye Yard every afternoon, as well as numerous NS trains that used to come down that line. Now, I'm lucky to hear maybe 3 CSX intermodal trains a week come over the line.