Slide Show Marion, Ohio 4/18

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Slide Show Marion, Ohio 4/18

Unread post by railohio »

I'll be giving a feature slide show on Amtrak's Empire Builder and railfanning the Pacific Northwest at Marion Union Station on April 18th at 7:00pm. The show will cover the train's route from Chicago to Seattle and Portland and also railfanning and attractions around those cities. After there will be an open projector for others who brought slides. There is no admission fee, but donations to the station are encouraged.

Marion Union Station will be open during the day along with the restored AC Tower. There are a number of attractions including a large collection of railroad dispatching and signal hardware, an HO scale layout, and, of course, up to 70 trains a day on Norfolk Southern and two CSX lines. Also nearby is the Shovel Restaurant and Lounge where the gang usually goes for dinner around 5:30.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Slide Show Marion, Ohio 4/18

Unread post by redside20 »

k, i'll be sure to write that down.
Exit stage left

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

thats awfully random, heres another

ill be showing a show on southwest indiana at homewood rr days, show up woot, lol

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

OK - now I get the "Densha Otaku" railohio... :wink:

http://patrickmccoy.typepad.com/lost_in ... otaku.html
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

railohio

Hey, you got the country right! There isn't anything lost in translation here. Otaku is Japanese slang for geeks; literally it means "one who does not leave the house." Densha is a streetcar or a tram. My friends were calling me "densha otaku" when I started shooting light rail systems and commuter operations on railfan trips, specifically when I made a number of trips to shoot the South Shore a few years ago. Instead of turning away from the badge I decided to embrace it.

My latest trip to Portland I was without a car so I spent a lot of time riding MAX, Portland Streetcar, and WES. Of course, if I'm riding, I'm shooting them, too. My slide show will have a good review of Portland's rail-based transit along with the Astoria streetcar, Tacoma streetcar, and Sounder; I'm also looking to add a little bit of the Twin Cities' new light rail system. There will be, of course, plenty of "real" trains from a variety of roads (Amtrak, BN, BNSF, Canadian Pacific, East Portland Traction, Minnesota Commercial, Puget Sound & Pacific, Portland & Western, Soo Line, UP, Willamette & Pacific, and Willamette Valley) represented as well.

I've seen the Densha Otoko movie with subtitles and part of the television service, but without translation. The movie was pretty good, if you like foreign films, and the television version was surprisingly comprehensible, even without dialogue.

railohio

Time for an update! My show is almost done. I did an advanced screening on Friday night for dti407 and MagnumForce to get some feedback for revisions. I just got the last slides this morning so it'll be finished up this week! After my show will be a presentation by Dick Jacobs titled "The East in 1973" which covers Northeast Corridor, Erie Lackawanna, Jersey Central, Delaware & Hudson, and other railroads in the region. Hope to see you in Marion!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

railohio wrote:Time for an update! My show is almost done.
Cool. Too far for me to drive, but if you are lucky, I'll supply a 'bounder' for you all to run to the window for.

BTW, with you running all over Ohio, hows that job search coming? :D

Practice Safe CSX