NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

Posted yesterday

Hello All,
I copied this from the September 14, 2016 Ohio Rail Development Commisioners meeting minutes on their website. These minutes were just posted in the last few days since they had their most recent meeting in November and they have to approve the previous meeting`s minutes before they post them online and they only meet every 2 months. This part of the minutes involves the financial assistance that the state is providing the railroad for track maintenance. There is also a mention of 4 potential new customers on the line. Anyway you can read it all below...
RESOLUTION 16-07 – CCET “Peavine” Line Improvements
Commissioner Jackson recused himself at 11:15 am.
ORDC staff member Tom Burns presented to the Commissioners the briefing on page 19 of the
commission packet. Mr. Burns provided the background information found in the packet and
introduced Chris Whitley from the railroad to answer any questions regarding the project. Mr.
Burns additionally elaborated on the bids received that were largely over the original project
estimate.
Mr. Whitley announced CCET has increased their car loading since the previous year and the
components of this project are vital to keeping their business up, safe operations along the line,
and prevention of derailments.
Commissioner Maphet asked further specifics on the location of the project. Commissioner
Lozier asked about the terms of the grants: if they are based on a fixed amount or a percentage of
the project. Executive Director Dietrich explained the funding amount is usually both, a
percentage, but up to a certain amount. The reason for the changes on this project is due to some
management changes at CCET and a re-scoping of the project. The only time a project does not
receive the full amount of the grant is if the project came in under budget.
Chairman Policinski asked Mr. Whitley to restate the traffic increase projection. Mr. Whitley
said this year it should quadruple, given current shippers and anticipated 4 new customers on the
line.
There were no additional questions.
Commissioner Bremer made a motion to approve Resolution 16-07 and Commissioner Zitter
seconded it. Roll Call was taken and the resolution was approved as presented with 6 votes in
the affirmative.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

More positive news came out on Facebook last night. One of the foreman or works for the CCET has been given direct orders to move all unused switches and frogs to Mt Orab by the end of the month. He said something very positive for the line is in the works but cannot give any details. This is the second person that has said this plus I have a friend who works for NS in a management position who has also said things are starting to heat up on the Peavine. Kind of reflects on the posting above that Northstar posted a few days back. It will be very interesting to see what the news will be much speculation out there at the present time. Yet something must be in the works to move switches and frogs.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you Z for monitoring this site and to delete the previous two posts of some people who are slamming the CCET who is operating the Peavine line. Many good things are happening along the Peavine in the past year. With the news circulating in the past week it appears there is some more good news concerning the Peavine in the next few weeks. . Since this topic is about NS Peavine Talk, we don't need someone slamming the rail but to make constructive conversation about this topic. We here are railroad fans not only of the Peavine but all Ohio rails. Some followers may have worked on the rails while others are not but we are all railroad fans. It just happens that some of us like the Peavine. I live close to the I&O and I sure hope they continue to do well.

I have lived near the Peavine for many years. In the past two years or so the Peavine continues to do well mostly with tank storage but now it appears maybe something else may be in the mix.

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kwh »

Well said. I prefer to keep positive and share this hobby with our fellow fans. Happy Holidays!

northstar16 wrote:Thank you Z for monitoring this site and to delete the previous two posts of some people who are slamming the CCET who is operating the Peavine line. Many good things are happening along the Peavine in the past year. With the news circulating in the past week it appears there is some more good news concerning the Peavine in the next few weeks. . Since this topic is about NS Peavine Talk, we don't need someone slamming the rail but to make constructive conversation about this topic. We here are railroad fans not only of the Peavine but all Ohio rails. Some followers may have worked on the rails while others are not but we are all railroad fans. It just happens that some of us like the Peavine. I live close to the I&O and I sure hope they continue to do well.

I have lived near the Peavine for many years. In the past two years or so the Peavine continues to do well mostly with tank storage but now it appears maybe something else may be in the mix.

RailFan0307
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailFan0307 »

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Here is what I have read on facebook today about the Peavine. A foreman for CCET posted this:Just got a add on to my work order we are now taking switch ties as well. So switches and frogs are getting taken up from unused sidings and being sent to Mt. Orab.

lee45174
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lee45174 »

Please help me! What is the significance of moving frogs and switches from unused sidings to Mt. Oreb?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

None. One less thing to derail on and maintain. If and that's a huge if someone ends up locating out there the ORDC handout program will pay for new switches

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Midland Sub your the second person that said something about a derail today. I read a post on the CCET Facebook page. Are you over on that site as well? Don't think the way I read into the Facebook site that the CCET is worried about any derail but more about what is going to happen out in the Mt. Orab area. It appears that a business may be going on line out there that needs rail transportation. The CET is doing some rail maintenance today out east. I rarely see any rail maintenance on the I&O. Guess that old track is in pretty good shape. I remember back in the day the long grade coming from Madiosnville to Maderia Ohio always had issues. Washouts a few times a year! Wonder if there is still issues up that way?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Mark don't think you need to worry about a derail on the Peavine. They have been doing pretty much work on the Peavine the last few weeks. The frogs, switches and ties are being pulled up and sent east to make way for a new project that will be announced in the next month or so. Bigger and better things are happening on the Peavine and it isn't all about storage.

I was wondering Mark who does the rail work on the G&W"? Does the ORDC give the G&W money to fix up that line? I never see any rail work being performed on that old line. How about the switches and frogs on the I&O on the old sidings? I know several of them haven't been used for years. Did the I&O pull them years ago or are they still there? I saw some siding up in Indian Hill know they haven't been used for several years. Thanks

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

lee45174 wrote:Please help me! What is the significance of moving frogs and switches from unused sidings to Mt. Oreb?
Is there a run around siding in Mt. Oreb? Ken

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

As far as I know there is not a run around siding in Mt. Orab. I think at one time there was but the tracks have been pulled. There is plenty of room to put additional tracks on the line if and when they need one. I do believe there might be a few siding that go back to businesses up there that haven't been used for years. I'm not very familiar with the tracks up that way haven't been along the tracks since I was rather young. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:As far as I know there is not a run around siding in Mt. Orab. I think at one time there was but the tracks have been pulled. There is plenty of room to put additional tracks on the line if and when they need one. I do believe there might be a few siding that go back to businesses up there that haven't been used for years. I'm not very familiar with the tracks up that way haven't been along the tracks since I was rather young. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Guys, Google Earth is your best friend! Clearly shows no runaround siding in Mt. Orab, and if you use the sliding timeline feature, you can see there was never one there dating back to the 80's at least (as far back as the timeline images go back). Also, the only business there there has a siding if the former Trinity Railcar plant (using the timeline feature, there was a maze of tracks on the property, now all gone. This facility is now a trailer manufacturer (as in the utility trailers you pull behind your car or truck)- nothing that I would ever imagine using rail service.

Also, so this guy says he has orders to relocate stitches and frogs- aren't frogs part of a switch? And I may be wrong, but are switches not designed for the application needed? In other words, not like a model train set where you go to the hobby shop and buy a standard stitch and plop in in place. I could be wrong, but....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Humm my Google Earth didn't go back to 1980 but to 1994 be interesting to see back in the early 70s but anyway you best look again. There are two sidings the other is east of Mt. Orab looks like a Lumber Yard good size and looks like they also sell Anderson Windows. There is a siding there as well. I looked yesterday on Google Earth and saw one more that you could barely see more to the west of Mt. Orab. I will need to look at it again.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I was talking run around sidings in my last post.

Google Earth Stay Dry (paid version) goes back farther, which is what I am using. Looks like Trinity Railcar was quite the busy place in the mid-80's. Lots of tracks and car storage tracks to the north where there are buildings and a road now.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

It was back then think it was the old Ortner Freight Car business. I know Ortner was up there on the Peavine back then. Didn't know there was another Google Earth. The back years on the one I have you can barely see the tracks up until 2009 then it gets better. Looks like there is a pretty good size lumber yard just east of Mt. Orab not far from Sardinia.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I'm wrong the lumber yard between Mt. Orab and Sardinia is closed and the side rail to the yard has been pulled yet it looks like it is still there on the Google Earth mapping.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

If you want to go way back, go to historicaerials.com
Brett

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I checked this site out a few minutes ago wow very cool. Living here in Mariemont I remember Clare yard the way it was back in the 70s and 60s bought back some memories. Kind of hard to see but if you live here you kind of know where everything is located.

I remember back in the day like in the 70s I would be fishing under the Clare bridge and see a train going east and maybe a few hours later one would be coming back to Clare (not the same train) but a different one. So somewhere on the tracks there had to be a double track or a long siding so trains could pass each other. I know up on Broadwell there is a siding there that is at least a mile long. At the Clare bridge there was siding think it is still there on the Newtown side that goes up to Clare Creek.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Kibler Lumber just east of Mt Orab should still be in business. They were earlier this year and Google shows they should have been open today. I don't think they've gotten a car in 20 plus years or more.

I was thinking about what customers were still using rail when NS rerouted 217/218 and shut the line down in May 2003. It really wasn't much:

Batavia:
Ford Transmission: scrap and some inbound chemicals
Georgia Pacific/Int'l Paper: corrugated boxplant inbound paper

Macon:
Ryland or Ryan Homes

Winchester:
Grain elevator was owned by someone different than the current owner

Peebles:
Untreated tie mill.

Cargill bought Mowrystown 2000/2001 and closed it soon after. There was someone that was supposed to start up a transload at the old Cincinnati Milacron track at Batavia but I don't think it amounted to anything or lasted long.

It's really amazing NS held on to the line as long as they did and went east of Batavia as long as they did