Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Y@ »

Well they ripped the diamond out so IDFK what they expect to have there. Last I knew Triple Diamond was not going to be seeking service anymore after their pipe-dream plan fizzled out.
Last edited by Y@ on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bottom text.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I forgot to post this here... Diamond removed at Liberty Center OH,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Notch 8 wrote:I forgot to post this here... Diamond removed at Liberty Center OH,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
That could easily get put back in with the proper cooperation of all parties involved.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

It's never going back in... except never is a long time. Liberty Center trucks the grain out and ND&W can make more money storing cars on the west side of the Diamond. It looks like they were receiving tank cars getting ready to place in service a few weeks ago.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Notch 8 wrote:It's never going back in... except never is a long time. Liberty Center trucks the grain out and ND&W can make more money storing cars on the west side of the Diamond. It looks like they were receiving tank cars getting ready to place in service a few weeks ago.
Trying to be positive but ok... So the track on the east side of the diamond is just gonna sit and rot?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

AARR wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Are they wanting the service restored east of the diamond to the city of Liberty Center?
Seems like this question has been asked before and IIRC at this time the answer is no. Perhaps one of the OH guys will know.

Yes.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

JoJames wrote:
AARR wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Are they wanting the service restored east of the diamond to the city of Liberty Center?
Seems like this question has been asked before and IIRC at this time the answer is no. Perhaps one of the OH guys will know.

Yes.
Lets stir the rumor mill pot, guys,
the ND&W rebuilding to Maumee :lol: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Construction Starts in the beginning of 2015. :twisted: 8) :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Things can always change.
Bottom text.

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

I would really like to see direct service to Bufallo, or Erie at the very least... seems like a Federal grant could get them there if they promised the trains would travel at 400mph/ :D

In reality it is a little upsetting to the the diamond taken out of service as that basically embargoes the track on the other side. Diamonds are expensive to maintain and if there isn't any traffic justifying the expense it simply isn't worth keeping. Wasn't there an issue between MAW and CSX over the diamond in Defiance a few years back?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Curious to see what 2015 holds for the ND&W...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

What's so difficult to put the diamond back in? Tracks need work up to the crossing anyway so if and when there's a need for it they can put it back in. We sometimes really over think things.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

The diamond is the least of their concerns.. They will make more revenue storing cars on the section west of the former diamond then running cars over the diamond.. Contractor trucks and equipment was parked at Antwerp OH noticed on my way home from Piqua OH.. It's kinda funny that the ROW of the former Erie is in better shape then that of the ND&W, Two different methods of constructions.. The correct way and the incorrect way ? 2015 should be good for the ND&W so long as Campbell Soup stays in Napoleon Ohio !

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Does Campbell Soup get any direct rail service?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I know nothing is certain in life but death and taxes, but Campbell's is the second largest facility Campbell's has (behind Paris TX). An advantage that the ND&W has is that they aren''t overly reliant on one dominant customer. Besides Campbell's, there's also Systech/LaFarge, Manville & Oldcastle - just to name a few.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert wrote:I know nothing is certain in life but death and taxes,
And my jump shot :mrgreen:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

bluestreak81 wrote:Does Campbell Soup get any direct rail service?
The Trackage that the DT&I had on the plant grounds is long gone, and subsequent construction has made it impossible to entertain the idea of restoring access from the north. The Campbell's product is unloaded at one of the cold storage faculties on the North side of the river and trucked from there to the Campbell's facility. This activity is one of the driving forces behind planning for another highway bridge across the Maumee in the Napoleon area.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

ADS is an important customer as well.
Bottom text.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Notch 8 wrote:The diamond is the least of their concerns.. They will make more revenue storing cars on the section west of the former diamond then running cars over the diamond.. Contractor trucks and equipment was parked at Antwerp OH noticed on my way home from Piqua OH.. It's kinda funny that the ROW of the former Erie is in better shape then that of the ND&W, Two different methods of constructions.. The correct way and the incorrect way ? 2015 should be good for the ND&W so long as Campbell Soup stays in Napoleon Ohio !

One thing to remember Notch8 the Erie didn't have that SWAMP.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MSchwiebert wrote:I know nothing is certain in life but death and taxes, but Campbell's is the second largest facility Campbell's has (behind Paris TX). An advantage that the ND&W has is that they aren''t overly reliant on one dominant customer. Besides Campbell's, there's also Systech/LaFarge, Manville & Oldcastle - just to name a few.
Without Campbell Soup in Napoleon there would be no line to Napoleon the line would have ended east of Defiance, Campbell Soup is the largest single customer and is steady too...