What's up with this?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
RichK
Railroadfan...fan

What's up with this?

Unread post by RichK »

I was out before sunrise today (Friday) and I came upon an odd sight on the siding leading to the (abandoned?) grain silo complex at CP Boughtonville on the Willard Terminal Sub. Anyone care to venture a guess as to why this expensive piece of foreign power is tied down on a neglected siding in Northern Ohio?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=329385

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What's up with this?

Unread post by ConrailForever »

There could be several reasons. The engine could have died and been set off there until a more practical/convenient way of getting it back to Willard or taking it to Collinwood was summoned, rather than having it DIT on the train. The air brakes could have frozen up, which would lead to the same scenario, possibly. I've heard of such a situation in the area the last time I was out there (Greenwich Area) with Q114. So in essence, my idea is there's something wrong with the engine.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Most of the time, the only reason a locomotive gets set off enroute, is if the defect is too serious and unsafe to move. Power dying, it normally just continues on to the next terminal where it can be dealt with. Traction motor problems, locked axles, etc usually dictate the locomotive being set out. As is the case with BNSF 5718, looks like a traction motor problem and an idler axle was installed so it could be moved back to Willard.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

No idea but I love the picture RichK! Do you know the sotry of the coal hopper on the spur?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RichK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RichK »

AARR wrote:No idea but I love the picture RichK! Do you know the sotry of the coal hopper on the spur?
All I remember about the hopper is that it said Clinchfield on the side in faded lettering, it was a 3 bay, and it was full of railroad ties, but I don't know if they were new.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Looks like one of the system scrap tie gons. You can even see a bundled set of ties to the left of the frame. As I said in a different thread, contractor picks out the 'good' ties for reuse (mostly landscaping use I believe) and the ties beyond salvage get loaded into scrap tie gons. Mix of actual gondolas and old hoppers.

Practice Safe CSX