NS TRAIN symbols for the millbury ohio area

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

NS TRAIN symbols for the millbury ohio area

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

im looking for symbols for the NS line that runs through millbury ohio any symbols would help

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS TRAIN symbols for the millbury ohio area

Unread post by ConrailForever »

Here are some intermodals that I know of.
20E- Daily
20K- Daily
24M- Daily
25Z- Daily
21Q- Daily
20G
20Q- Daily
20R
20N
20J
21J
26N

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but it's the best I've got for that area. I'm not familiar with the freights once west on the Chicago Line of the Vermilion Connection.

rwtrave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwtrave »

From my experience, the normal, mostly daily symbols on the NS Chicago Line are -

20K - Intermodal
21K - Intermodal
22K - Intermodal
23K - Intermodal
24M - Intermodal
21Q - Intermodal
25Z - Intermodal
20E - Intermodal
205 - Intermodal
206 - Intermodal
20Q - Intermodal
20R - Intermodal
21J - Intermodal
20J - Intermodal
20G - Intermodal (Off of BNSF)
21G - Intermodal (On to BNSF)
23W - Intermodal
24W - Intermodal
20V - Intermodal
21V - Intermodal
24V - Intermodal
227 - Intermodal
15N - Mixed freight
16N - Mixed freight
14N - Mixed freight
34N - Mixed freight
35N - Mixed freight
18A - Mixed freight
10R - Mixed freight
11V - Mixed freight
11G - Mixed freight
11K - Mixed freight
18N - Autoracks
19G - Autoracks

BULK COMMODITIES

82E - coal (off of UP)
64Z - stone
65Z - stone
68K - stone
69K - stone
62T - coil
63W- coil
412 - coke
413 - coke

And that's about all I got! I may have missed a couple, and I'm NOT guaranteeing that these will run every day. Just what you might expect to hear on a normal day! Hope this helps.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

A couple interesting ones missing right off:

184 (eastbound CN Flat Rock - Bellevue )
353 (westbound CN Bellevue - Flat Rock)
68Q (eastbound unit ethanol)
69Q (westbound unit ethanol)
13Q (Bellevue - Elkhart)
14Q (Elkhart - Bellevue)
15Q (Bellevue - Elkhart)
17M (Linwood, NC - Elkhart)
18M (Elkhart - Linwood, NC)

The CN ones come onto NS from the AA in Toledo, down the Detroit line to the Chicago line and over to Oak Harbor where they use the connector to get on the Toledo District. The other 1xx series also use the Oak Harbor connection and don't need cab signals so can have more interesting leaders at times. 13Q also tends to take new deliveries from Erie west.

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

funny i thought 412 and 413 ran to and from the EJE on the Nickel Plate to Vermilion where they then hop on the NYC. 26N runs to Columbus via Bellevue and often has BNSF power
Exit stage left

rwtrave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwtrave »

Redside20 - Maybe they do, I could be wrong, but regardless, they'd still go through Millbury on the NYC. But as for the 13Q, 14Q, 15Q, 17M, 18M, 26N, 23N, 184 and 353, I didn't realize that Millbury was west of Oak Harbor. Those all come through, the 184 and 353 having CN power daily (and the occasional BC Rail!), like Redside20 said, some BNSF power comes through on 23N and 26N from time to time, and 13Q, 14Q and 15Q, from my experience, have a lot of smaller power in tow (all presumably heading for Bellevue or Elkhart; forgive me if this is incorrect). Not so sure on the 17M and 18M, but I do know that I caught 17M in Swanton before with a Warbonnet leader, seconded by a BNSF H2 Dash 9.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Few quick notes 24V was annulled almost a year ago, 412/413 symbols are not currently being used as a regular train.

Have no idea of 21K, never heard or seen it called called, about a year ago there was a 25K but that too was combined or annulled.

18N is a Bellevue east train so you wouldn't see it at CP 281, theres a 17N and 14N that goes by Milbury.

As for 20/21N those are Chicago-Detroit and back so you won't see those there either as they turn north at Airline in Toledo.

Lately theres been a 290 racks to Fairlane from Detroit as well as a 26K from Fairlane-Detroit, but I've seen this called too as a 28K and 26V so,,,,,. With the rack trains NS seems to pick a symbol as its needed until the roll the dice to call it something else.

Oh for your list too your missing the 21M and 21E UPS trains.

redside20

more adjustments 18N hops on to the line at Sandusky off of the ex PRR Sandusky- Columbus line by way of Bellevue
Exit stage left

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

redside20 wrote:funny i thought 412 and 413 ran to and from the EJE on the Nickel Plate to Vermilion where they then hop on the NYC. 26N runs to Columbus via Bellevue and often has BNSF power
Right you are redside. 412/413 are coke trains that go via Vermillion. Not through Millbury.
The dispatcher is cool.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

The wiki's page for NS symbols would love this information...all of you guys who posted on this thread have access to edit it..anyone want to give a hand and have this info in a central location?

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/NS_Train_Symbols
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Here's a 15Q in Oak Harbor with BNSF power: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=303772

:D
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

rwtrave wrote:Not so sure on the 17M and 18M, but I do know that I caught 17M in Swanton before with a Warbonnet leader, seconded by a BNSF H2 Dash 9.
Was it this one? :D

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=297908

(corrected link)

That was from the Railroadfan.com fall meet weekend!
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

rwtrave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwtrave »

18N is the Fostoria Mixing Center make-up, isn't it? Come to think of it, I do believe I've heard that before whilst railfanning around the "Iron Triangle."

Sorry about the bad information regarding 412 and 413. I always was of the belief that those went into Indiana on the ex NYC. My mistake!

Also, I thought I've heard of the 21K before. Cody (ConrailForever) claims to have heard it too. Whether it is a train or not, or we're mishearing "21J", I don't know. I always thought it was one of the night time westbound hotshots, along with 21J and 21E (sorry I forgot to list 21E).

Didn't really know about the 21M.

Also - MDH - Yes, that is the same 17M that I shot at Swanton. I caught quite a few trains that day, including the 21V and 23K, side by side, at Delta. My photo is on RP.net.

redside20

Richard you are correct, 18N does indeed originate at the Mixed up center in Fostoria. however i was trying to provide you with a mental image of the routing the 18N takes from Fostoria through Bellevue to Sandusky. hope this helps :D
Exit stage left

redside20

412 is a coke train and 413 is the counterpart obviously and here is there routing

412 Shire Oaks Pa-Van Loon Indiana. connects there with the CN formerly EJE
413 Van Loon to Shire Oaks
Exit stage left

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

when i was there in september,there was a westbound mixed with a BNSF warbonnet leading a another bnsf unit,then at night there was another bnsf powered train heading west with a Heritage 2 leading also saw a eastbound mixed with CN power around 10am also 2 eastbound auto racks with NS/UP power also a eastbound CSX double stack with 3 csx units this was the day they had a derailment that crippled fostoria for the day and also there was a UP coal train now when i was there monday it was all NS power

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

CharlieX90 wrote:when i was there in september,there was a westbound mixed with a BNSF warbonnet leading a another bnsf unit,then at night there was another bnsf powered train heading west with a Heritage 2 leading also saw a eastbound mixed with CN power around 10am also 2 eastbound auto racks with NS/UP power also a eastbound CSX double stack with 3 csx units this was the day they had a derailment that crippled fostoria for the day and also there was a UP coal train now when i was there monday it was all NS power

Holy run on sentence Batman!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

CharlieX90 wrote:when i was there in september,there was a westbound mixed with a BNSF warbonnet leading a another bnsf unit,then at night there was another bnsf powered train heading west with a Heritage 2 leading also saw a eastbound mixed with CN power around 10am also 2 eastbound auto racks with NS/UP power also a eastbound CSX double stack with 3 csx units this was the day they had a derailment that crippled fostoria for the day and also there was a UP coal train now when i was there monday it was all NS power
Did you see anything else?? :? :lol:

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Yes,a very cute mail carrier! :D

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

esprrfan wrote:Have no idea of 21K, never heard or seen it called called, about a year ago there was a 25K but that too was combined or annulled.

18N is a Bellevue east train so you wouldn't see it at CP 281, theres a 17N and 14N that goes by Milbury.

As for 20/21N those are Chicago-Detroit and back so you won't see those there either as they turn north at Airline in Toledo.

Lately theres been a 290 racks to Fairlane from Detroit as well as a 26K from Fairlane-Detroit, but I've seen this called too as a 28K and 26V so,,,,,. With the rack trains NS seems to pick a symbol as its needed until the roll the dice to call it something else.

Oh for your list too your missing the 21M and 21E UPS trains.
There was also a 21W that ran during UPS season. 21K was long long time ago. ESPee what's this 17N you speak of? That train is long gone. 290 is Sunday only. 26K/28M/26V, etc,
The dispatcher is cool.